Is grouping possible with Dataviews or Datagrids?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Datagrid Control' started by Ivan Samuelson, Oct 13, 2003.

  1. I have a datagrid that I have populated via a DCOM object. Due to the
    nature of the DCOM object, it sends back a row of data by using an
    event. When it finally sends a "end of data" event, I know I've gotten
    all my data.

    This data consists of a date, counterparty, total energy scheduled and
    total price of that scheduled energy. I want to take and sum up the
    total energy and total price by counterparty.
    Is there any easy way to do this with DataViews?

    Again, this is NOT obtained by a direct select statement and I do not
    have access to change the DCOM object, so I have to accept each row of
    data, populate it into a dataset and then manipulate it from there, so
    doing a SELECT...GROUP BY is not an option.

    The net effect I want to achieve with the data would normally be
    obtained through a SQL query as such:

    SELECT counterparty, SUM(total energy), SUM(total price)
    FROM some_Table
    WHERE scheduleddate between TO_DATE('10/01/2003') and
    TO_DATE('10/02/2003')
    GROUP BY counterparty

    Is there a way to do this with DataViews?

    Thanks!

    Ivan Samuelson, Oct 13, 2003