    Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications
    Research Triangle Park, NC, USA
    , 919-472-1124
    Randy Yates, Mar 18, 2005

  2. Randy Yates wrote:
    > Are there any known areas in which the current incarnation
    > of IE does not adhere to the HTML 4.01 specification?

    No: it doesn't support the ABBR element. There are probably other
    violations as well.
    Leif K-Brooks, Mar 18, 2005

  3. On 18/03/2005 19:58, Leif K-Brooks wrote:

    > [IE] doesn't support the ABBR element. There are probably other
    > violations as well.

    BUTTON is a gross violation. IE submits the innerText equivalent of
    the element rather than it's value attribute. Moreover, if there is
    more than one BUTTON element (submit or otherwise) in a form, the
    name/innerText pair is submitted for /all/ of them, too.

    Mike

    --
    Michael Winter
    Michael Winter, Mar 18, 2005
  4. Randy Yates <> wrote:

    > Are there any known areas in which the current incarnation
    > of IE does not adhere to the HTML 4.01 specification?

    Certainly. It does not even parse HTML according to the specification.
    This is of little practical value since authors don't try to use
    shorthand markup, but it's still a definite violation of the
    specification.

    There are lots of practically relevant violations in different areas.
    A good book on HTML explains them in conjunction with the presentation
    of various constructs.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Mar 19, 2005
  5. Randy Yates

    DU Guest

    Randy Yates wrote:

    > Are there any known areas in which the current incarnation
    > of IE does not adhere to the HTML 4.01 specification?

    HTML 4 conformance tests measure browsers support for HTML 4:
    http://www.robinlionheart.com/stds/html4/results

    W3C DRAFT - HTML4 Test Suite
    http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Test/HTML401/current/tests/index.html

    A precise list of HTML violations which has been reported to MSIE 7 dev.
    team is here:
    HTML Support:
    http://channel9.msdn.com/wiki/default.aspx/Channel9.InternetExplorerStandardsSupport

    Sick of IE6:
    http://www.designdetector.com/archives/04/06/SickOfIE6.php

    DU
    --
    The site said to use Internet Explorer 5 or better... so I switched to
    Mozilla 1.7.6 :)
    DU, Mar 20, 2005