is IE6 violating the same-origin policy?

jackchang1

I had a web page hosted in one domain. In IE6 it is able to request
data from another page in a different domain using XMLHttpRequest
object. It fails in IE7/Firefox/Safari. Can you confirm that the
XMLHttpRequest object in IE6 violate the same-origin policy? I am not
sure if it was my error or IE6's fault. Thank you!

Martin Honnen

I had a web page hosted in one domain. In IE6 it is able to request
data from another page in a different domain using XMLHttpRequest
object. It fails in IE7/Firefox/Safari. Can you confirm that the
XMLHttpRequest object in IE6 violate the same-origin policy? I am not
sure if it was my error or IE6's fault. Thank you!

IE 6 does not have an XMLHttpRequest object, that was only introduced in
IE 7.
If you are talking about new ActiveXObject('Msxml2.XMLHTTP'), whether
that can make requests to different domains can be configured for each
security zone that IE has. I think with Windows XP SP 2 the default
setting for the internet zone is that such requests are not possible.
The settings for the intranet zone might be different.

jackchang1

IE 6 does not have an XMLHttpRequest object, that was only introduced in
IE 7.
If you are talking about new ActiveXObject('Msxml2.XMLHTTP'), whether
that can make requests to different domains can be configured for each
security zone that IE has. I think with Windows XP SP 2 the default
setting for the internet zone is that such requests are not possible.
The settings for the intranet zone might be different.

Thank you Martin! Yeah, you are right about
ActiveXObject('Msxml2.XMLHTTP'). For requests to different domains, I
enable the access to different domain for internet and I guess that is
why in IE6 the page A is able to get data from the page B in different
domain. But I still wondering why page A from local disk is able to
get data from page B in another domain.