    am a little confused!

    Cheers

    Geoff
    Geoff Cox, Jan 11, 2004

  2. Geoff Cox

    Ben Morrow Guest

    Geoff Cox <> wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I have just installed ActiveState Perl 5.8.2 build 808 and have
    > following line in some code
    >
    > use IO::Scalar
    >
    > but get error message "can't locate IO/Scalar.pm"
    >
    > even though when I list the modules installed I have
    >
    > d:/perl/lib/PerlIO/Scalar.pm

    ^^^^
    See that? It's a different module.

    Open a DOS box and type 'ppm install IO-stringy'.

    Ben

    --
    Like all men in Babylon I have been a proconsul; like all, a slave ... During
    one lunar year, I have been declared invisible; I shrieked and was not heard,
    Ben Morrow, Jan 11, 2004

  3. On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 10:22:36 +0000, Geoff Cox wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I have just installed ActiveState Perl 5.8.2 build 808 and have
    > following line in some code
    >
    > use IO::Scalar
    >
    > but get error message "can't locate IO/Scalar.pm"
    >
    > even though when I list the modules installed I have
    >
    > d:/perl/lib/PerlIO/Scalar.pm
    >
    > am a little confused!

    *How* did you install IO::Scalar? Did you use PPM or just copy files?

    Best advise - use PPM and re-install IO::Scalar.

    HTH

    --
    Jim

    for more information.

    a fortune quote ...
    Uncle Ed's Rule of Thumb: Never use your thumb for a rule.
    You'll either hit it with a hammer or get a splinter in it.
    James Willmore, Jan 11, 2004
  4. Geoff Cox

    Geoff Cox Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 14:53:13 +0000 (UTC), Ben Morrow
    <> wrote:

    >Geoff Cox <> wrote:
    >> Hello
    >>
    >> I have just installed ActiveState Perl 5.8.2 build 808 and have
    >> following line in some code
    >>
    >> use IO::Scalar
    >>
    >> but get error message "can't locate IO/Scalar.pm"
    >>
    >> even though when I list the modules installed I have
    >>
    >> d:/perl/lib/PerlIO/Scalar.pm

    > ^^^^
    >See that? It's a different module.
    >
    >Open a DOS box and type 'ppm install IO-stringy'.

    Ben

    thanks for the help ... have done above and it appeasr to have worked
    but

    1. why the "stringy" in IO-stringy ?! thought this was your shorthand!
    2. where is ppm getting the IO-stringy from??

    Cheers

    Geoff

    Geoff Cox, Jan 11, 2004
  5. Geoff Cox

    Ben Morrow Guest

    Geoff Cox <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 14:53:13 +0000 (UTC), Ben Morrow
    > <> wrote:
    > >Geoff Cox <> wrote:
    > >> use IO::Scalar

    <snip>

    > >Open a DOS box and type 'ppm install IO-stringy'.

    > thanks for the help ... have done above and it appeasr to have worked
    > but
    >
    > 1. why the "stringy" in IO-stringy ?! thought this was your shorthand!

    Modules on CPAN are arranged into 'distributions', which are a set of
    modules that come in one tar.gz file and are all installed at
    once. The distribution with IO::Scalar in is called IO-stringy,
    because (ultimately) that's what its author chose to call it :). I
    don't know if ppm will tell you which distribution a given module is
    in: I'd imagine it will. If it won't, you can use search.cpan.org like
    I did.

    > 2. where is ppm getting the IO-stringy from??

    Some ppm 'repositry', which is a site it can download pre-compiled
    versions of CPAN modules from. Read the docs on ppm to find out how to
    list and change the sites it uses.

    Ben

    Ben Morrow, Jan 11, 2004
  6. Geoff Cox

    Geoff Cox Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 15:37:29 +0000 (UTC), Ben Morrow
    <> wrote:

    >> 2. where is ppm getting the IO-stringy from??

    >Some ppm 'repositry', which is a site it can download pre-compiled
    >versions of CPAN modules from. Read the docs on ppm to find out how to
    >list and change the sites it uses.

    Ben,

    thanks for the explanations - but when I ran the ppm did the file come
    from a 'repositry' on my PC or from the net? I happened to be still
    connected to the net at the time ..

    Geoff

    Geoff Cox, Jan 11, 2004
  7. Geoff Cox

    Geoff Cox Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 15:10:51 GMT, James Willmore
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 10:22:36 +0000, Geoff Cox wrote:
    >
    >> Hello
    >>
    >> I have just installed ActiveState Perl 5.8.2 build 808 and have
    >> following line in some code
    >>
    >> use IO::Scalar
    >>
    >> but get error message "can't locate IO/Scalar.pm"
    >>
    >> even though when I list the modules installed I have
    >>
    >> d:/perl/lib/PerlIO/Scalar.pm
    >>
    >> am a little confused!

    >*How* did you install IO::Scalar? Did you use PPM or just copy files?

    James,

    I assumed from the above error messages that I hadn't installed
    IO::Scalar?? Are you saying that it came already installed with the
    ActiveState Perl 5.8.2?

    When I ran "ppm install io-stringy" as advised by Ben IO::Scalar was
    then installed - no message saying that it was already there?!

    Geoff

    Geoff Cox, Jan 11, 2004
  8. On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 16:36:22 +0000, Geoff Cox wrote:

    > On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 15:10:51 GMT, James Willmore
    > <> wrote:
    >>
    >>*How* did you install IO::Scalar? Did you use PPM or just copy files?

    > James,
    >
    > I assumed from the above error messages that I hadn't installed
    > IO::Scalar?? Are you saying that it came already installed with the
    > ActiveState Perl 5.8.2?
    >
    > When I ran "ppm install io-stringy" as advised by Ben IO::Scalar was
    > then installed - no message saying that it was already there?!

    Well, it sounds like you installed it. If it was there and up to date,
    PPM would have stated as much.

    --
    Jim

    for more information.

    a fortune quote ...
    "It's a summons." "What's a summons?" "It means summon's in
    <trouble." -- Rocky and Bullwinkle
    James Willmore, Jan 11, 2004
  9. Geoff Cox

    Ben Morrow Guest

    Geoff Cox <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 15:37:29 +0000 (UTC), Ben Morrow
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >> 2. where is ppm getting the IO-stringy from??

    > >Some ppm 'repositry', which is a site it can download pre-compiled
    > >versions of CPAN modules from. Read the docs on ppm to find out how to
    > >list and change the sites it uses.

    > thanks for the explanations - but when I ran the ppm did the file come
    > from a 'repositry' on my PC or from the net? I happened to be still
    > connected to the net at the time ..

    From the net. It *is* possible to set up a repositry on the local
    machine, but one isn't set up by default (nor is it terribly useful to
    do so under most circumstances).

    Ben

    From the liver of a friend of yours. / Excuse the arrow but I have no spoon.
    /Alcestis/) [ flame, and falls out of sight. ]
    Ben Morrow, Jan 11, 2004
  10. Geoff Cox

    Geoff Cox Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 23:26:05 +0000 (UTC), Ben Morrow
    <> wrote:

    >> thanks for the explanations - but when I ran the ppm did the file come
    >> from a 'repositry' on my PC or from the net? I happened to be still
    >> connected to the net at the time ..

    >From the net.

    even more impressive then!

    Geoff

    It *is* possible to set up a repositry on the local

    Geoff Cox, Jan 12, 2004
  11. Geoff Cox

    Geoff Cox Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 19:13:12 GMT, James Willmore
    <> wrote:

    >> When I ran "ppm install io-stringy" as advised by Ben IO::Scalar was
    >> then installed - no message saying that it was already there?!

    >Well, it sounds like you installed it. If it was there and up to date,
    >PPM would have stated as much.

    I hadn't realised that the ppm obtained the module from the
    ActiveState web site !

    Cheers

    Geoff
    Geoff Cox, Jan 12, 2004