  1. broli

    broli Guest

    and then learn C language ?

    broli, Mar 12, 2008

  2. broli

    Nelu Guest

    On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 23:33:20 -0700, broli wrote:

    > and then learn C language ?

    Don't post half of the question in the subject and half in the body of
    the message.

    I think there are other options of having a C compiler on your machine as
    well: Visual C++ compiler (which compiles C if you change the file
    extension to .c from .cpp), djgpp, mingw gcc. Given my not so good
    experience with cygwin, I would rather switch to Linux or use Linux in a
    virtual machine under Windows (I use Windows in a virtual machine under
    Linux :D). An open source virtual machine (bought by SUN it seems) is
    Innotek's Virtual Box. I think vmware is kind of free, also.

    --
    Ioan - Ciprian Tandau
    (... and that it still works...)

    Nelu, Mar 12, 2008

  3. broli wrote:
    > and then learn C language ?

    For Windows XP, you can download VC++ 2008 Express Edition for free, and
    use it to learn C95.

    Ioannis Vranos, Mar 12, 2008
  4. Ioannis Vranos wrote:
    > broli wrote:
    >> and then learn C language ?

    > For Windows XP, you can download VC++ 2008 Express Edition for free, and
    > use it to learn C95.

    That is, Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition.

    Ioannis Vranos, Mar 12, 2008
  5. broli

    santosh Guest

    broli wrote:

    > and then learn C language ?

    Perhaps. It depends on your requirements doesn't it? To you need a full
    UNIX environment? If not then you might consider MinGW+Msys instead of
    Cygwin. MinGW can produce standalone Windows executables that don't
    depend on an emulation library, however you cannot write UNIX programs
    with it and run them under Windows; for that you'll need Cygwin.

    Another option is DJGPP, if you want to be able to run under DOS as well
    as Windows. There are also other Windows specific compilers like
    PellesC and lcc-win32 that you might find convenient. Microsoft of
    course offers it's own compilers, both crippled "free" downloads as
    well as the full Visual Studio suite. There are also a plethora of well
    regarded commercial compilers for Windows like Comeau C++, Intel C++
    etc.

    What you want to use depends on your requirements, which you have not
    specified.

    santosh, Mar 12, 2008
  6. broli

    Chris Dollin Guest

    broli wrote:

    [subject line]> Is it better to download Cygwin on Win XP
    > and then learn C language ?

    Better than what, for what?

    --
    "Well begun is half done." - Proverb