    of C++

    Thank you for possible aid.
    Alex K.
    Alex K., Dec 19, 2012

  2. Alex K.

    osmium Guest

    "Alex K." wrote:

    > M.Sc. Thesis Summary:
    > Selected methods of generating fractals. Implementation in the language of
    > C++

    "In the language of C++" is OK but has a "foreign" sound to it.

    I would say:
    Selected methods of generating fractals in the C++ language.
    osmium, Dec 19, 2012

  3. Alex K.

    FredK Guest

    On Wednesday, December 19, 2012 6:02:32 AM UTC-8, osmium wrote:
    > "Alex K." wrote: > M.Sc. Thesis Summary: > Selected methods of generatingfractals. Implementation in the language of > C++ "In the language of C++"is OK but has a "foreign" sound to it. I would say: Selected methods of generating fractals in the C++ language.

    Still sounds odd - One doesn't gernerate fractals in the C++ language (thatsounds like you are trying to put fractals into the language).

    I would have titled it:
    "A C++ Implementation of Several Methods of Fractal Generation"
    FredK, Dec 19, 2012
  4. Alex K.

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    On Wed, 2012-12-19, Drew Lawson wrote:
    > "in the language of" is not a normal US English usage in this. Maybe
    > Implementation in C++.
    > or
    > Implementation in the C++ language.

    or
    Implementation in the C++ programming language.

    /Jorgen

    --
    // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
    \X/ snipabacken.se> O o .
    Jorgen Grahn, Dec 19, 2012
  5. Alex K.

    BGB Guest

    On 12/19/2012 2:33 PM, Jorgen Grahn wrote:
    > On Wed, 2012-12-19, Drew Lawson wrote:
    >> "in the language of" is not a normal US English usage in this. Maybe
    >> Implementation in C++.
    >> or
    >> Implementation in the C++ language.

    > or
    > Implementation in the C++ programming language.

    while adding more words:
    "An implementation of fractals written within the C++ programming language."

    next up is padding it out with adjectives and similar.

    "An almost not entirely unoriginal implementation of various assorted
    fractals written mostly entirely within the C++ programming language."

    decided to leave out a big chunk about strategies for being lazy and
    padding out papers... granted, these lead to poor papers that often get
    poor grades, but whatever...
    BGB, Dec 19, 2012
  6. Alex K.

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    On Wed, 2012-12-19, BGB wrote:
    > On 12/19/2012 2:33 PM, Jorgen Grahn wrote:
    >> On Wed, 2012-12-19, Drew Lawson wrote:
    >>> "in the language of" is not a normal US English usage in this. Maybe
    >>> Implementation in C++.
    >>> or
    >>> Implementation in the C++ language.

    >> or
    >> Implementation in the C++ programming language.
    >>

    > while adding more words:
    > "An implementation of fractals written within the C++ programming language."

    As far as I could tell, the more words were removed for clarity when
    people focused on the last part of the title.

    > next up is padding it out with adjectives and similar.
    >
    > "An almost not entirely unoriginal implementation of various assorted
    > fractals written mostly entirely within the C++ programming language."

    If your point is adding the word 'programming' is superfluous, please
    say so. I think it makes it more clear and immediately understandable,
    and ties in with the phrase "the C++ programming language" familiar
    from the book title.

    /Jorgen

    --
    // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
    \X/ snipabacken.se> O o .
    Jorgen Grahn, Dec 20, 2012
  7. Alex K.

    BGB Guest

    On 12/20/2012 2:30 AM, Jorgen Grahn wrote:
    > On Wed, 2012-12-19, BGB wrote:
    >>>
    >>> or
    >>> Implementation in the C++ programming language.
    >>>

    >> while adding more words:
    >> "An implementation of fractals written within the C++ programming language."

    > As far as I could tell, the more words were removed for clarity when
    > people focused on the last part of the title.

    but, this change did make it longer...
    little obvious change was made besides making it longer.

    >> next up is padding it out with adjectives and similar.
    >>
    >> "An almost not entirely unoriginal implementation of various assorted
    >> fractals written mostly entirely within the C++ programming language."

    > If your point is adding the word 'programming' is superfluous, please
    > say so. I think it makes it more clear and immediately understandable,
    > and ties in with the phrase "the C++ programming language" familiar
    > from the book title.

    yes, but then again people really like their extra and superfluous words...

    it is like people setting minimums for the word count and number of
    references in a paper... "I have to write this paper, have little to say
    on the topic, and have to make it this length. what to do?... I know,
    add lots of extra adjectives and make most of the references be to
    Wikipedia articles and similar...".

    then other people take this writing style for granted, it itself becomes
    "expected", and a person gets used to writing in a verbose style as a
    result.

    probably similar goes for standards documents, "hey, document writers,
    you have to describe this file-format in no less than 200 pages", and
    the writers proceed to do so... (and may spend 5 or 10 pages on
    explaining the difference between big-endian vs little-endian, etc...).

    OTOH, if a person can't figure out that "C++" is a programming language
    without having it spelled out for them, in all likelihood, they have
    little to gain from reading the paper. ("hey, what is with all this math
    and punctuation characters?...").

    or such...
    BGB, Dec 20, 2012
  8. BGB <> wrote:
    > it is like people setting minimums for the word count and number of
    > references in a paper... "I have to write this paper, have little to say
    > on the topic, and have to make it this length. what to do?... I know, add
    > lots of extra adjectives and make most of the references be to Wikipedia
    > articles and similar...".

    With papers, my experience is actually the opposite of what you are
    describing.
    Most conferences impose a maximum page count for papers and people were
    working hard putting as much information as possible into their papers.
    Stripping away every unnecessary word, checking each sentence if it
    couldn't be written shorter.
    This makes those papers sometimes very hard to read. You have to be
    concentrated all the time because every sentence is important.

    Tobi
    Tobias Müller, Dec 21, 2012
  9. On Dec 21, 8:43 am, Tobias Müller <> wrote:
    > BGB <> wrote:
    > > it is like people setting minimums for the word count and number of
    > > references in a paper... "I have to write this paper, have little to say
    > > on the topic, and have to make it this length. what to do?... I know, add
    > > lots of extra adjectives and make most of the references be to Wikipedia
    > > articles and similar...".

    > With papers, my experience is actually the opposite of what you are
    > describing.
    > Most conferences impose a maximum page count for papers and people were
    > working hard putting as much information as possible into their papers.
    > Stripping away every unnecessary word, checking each sentence if it
    > couldn't be written shorter.
    > This makes those papers sometimes very hard to read. You have to be
    > concentrated all the time because every sentence is important.
    >
    > Tobi

    That's a difficult problem. See, they don't want bad papers, and most
    of the bad papers are those that have nothing to tell but do so on
    100+ pages. So they decided to limit the amount of text.

    What they did not take into account is that this makes life much
    harder for people who have actually found out great stuff but need a
    lot of introduction or lots of examples.

    At my university some of the faculties had a lower limit for Diploma
    theses (applied computer science, database, and such; it just goes to
    show) whereas others had an upper limit (<50 pages for Structural
    Complexity Theory). What a joke.

    Regards,
    Stuart

    PS: To come back to your original question: I would only mention the C+
    + part if the usage of C++ is essential to your research. If you only
    chose C++ because you are familiar with it, or you didn't want to use
    pidgin code, you should better mention this fact in your subtitle or
    even only in the abstract. OTOH, if you used some funky template
    metaprogramming, you should mention C++ on the main title.
    Stuart Redmann, Dec 21, 2012
  10. Alex K.

    BGB Guest

    On 12/21/2012 1:43 AM, Tobias Müller wrote:
    > BGB <> wrote:
    >> it is like people setting minimums for the word count and number of
    >> references in a paper... "I have to write this paper, have little to say
    >> on the topic, and have to make it this length. what to do?... I know, add
    >> lots of extra adjectives and make most of the references be to Wikipedia
    >> articles and similar...".

    > With papers, my experience is actually the opposite of what you are
    > describing.
    > Most conferences impose a maximum page count for papers and people were
    > working hard putting as much information as possible into their papers.
    > Stripping away every unnecessary word, checking each sentence if it
    > couldn't be written shorter.
    > This makes those papers sometimes very hard to read. You have to be
    > concentrated all the time because every sentence is important.

    well, people often set an upper limit of 100 pages, but a lower limit of
    10 or 25 pages.

    sometimes, a person doesn't actually have enough to say on the topic to
    make this many pages worth of content, so it is time to pad it out...

    like, for a class "write a minimum 10 page paper of analysis on this
    poem" or similar. person looks as poem, has little idea even what the
    thing is saying much less what to write about it. like "what the hell
    sense does this poem make anyways?... the author isn't actually saying
    much of anything..." (then looking up stuff online, where the "analysis"
    is people writing more stuff that doesn't make any sense, and has little
    clear relation to much of anything), then ending up resorting to
    imitating the style of this guy who makes "Let's Play" videos on the
    internet (who goes by the name "MediBot"), and basically just pulling a
    bunch of random crap out of the air, "it is a metaphor for this thing
    and this other thing" and so on, and with some effort, pull enough crap
    to fill up said paper...

    nevermind if the teachers don't really like it and give it a poor grade
    (like a C or similar... but, hell, better than an F for not turning in
    anything...).

    granted, yes, it is a bit easier to write a bit more if a person
    actually cares about (or can at least understand) the topic...

    or such...
    BGB, Dec 21, 2012