Is it correct in englisch? (C++)

Alex K.

M.Sc. Thesis Summary:
Selected methods of generating fractals. Implementation in the language
of C++

Thank you for possible aid.
Alex K.

osmium

Alex K. said:
M.Sc. Thesis Summary:
Selected methods of generating fractals. Implementation in the language of
C++

"In the language of C++" is OK but has a "foreign" sound to it.

I would say:
Selected methods of generating fractals in the C++ language.

FredK

"Alex K." wrote: > M.Sc. Thesis Summary: > Selected methods of generatingfractals. Implementation in the language of > C++ "In the language of C++"is OK but has a "foreign" sound to it. I would say: Selected methods of generating fractals in the C++ language.

Still sounds odd - One doesn't gernerate fractals in the C++ language (thatsounds like you are trying to put fractals into the language).

I would have titled it:
"A C++ Implementation of Several Methods of Fractal Generation"

Jorgen Grahn

.
"in the language of" is not a normal US English usage in this. Maybe
Implementation in C++.
or
Implementation in the C++ language.

or
Implementation in the C++ programming language.

/Jorgen

BGB

or
Implementation in the C++ programming language.

while adding more words:
"An implementation of fractals written within the C++ programming language."

next up is padding it out with adjectives and similar.

"An almost not entirely unoriginal implementation of various assorted
fractals written mostly entirely within the C++ programming language."

decided to leave out a big chunk about strategies for being lazy and
padding out papers... granted, these lead to poor papers that often get
poor grades, but whatever...

Jorgen Grahn

while adding more words:
"An implementation of fractals written within the C++ programming language."

As far as I could tell, the more words were removed for clarity when
people focused on the last part of the title.
next up is padding it out with adjectives and similar.

"An almost not entirely unoriginal implementation of various assorted
fractals written mostly entirely within the C++ programming language."

If your point is adding the word 'programming' is superfluous, please
say so. I think it makes it more clear and immediately understandable,
and ties in with the phrase "the C++ programming language" familiar
from the book title.

/Jorgen

BGB

As far as I could tell, the more words were removed for clarity when
people focused on the last part of the title.

but, this change did make it longer...
little obvious change was made besides making it longer.

If your point is adding the word 'programming' is superfluous, please
say so. I think it makes it more clear and immediately understandable,
and ties in with the phrase "the C++ programming language" familiar
from the book title.

yes, but then again people really like their extra and superfluous words...

it is like people setting minimums for the word count and number of
references in a paper... "I have to write this paper, have little to say
on the topic, and have to make it this length. what to do?... I know,
add lots of extra adjectives and make most of the references be to
Wikipedia articles and similar...".

then other people take this writing style for granted, it itself becomes
"expected", and a person gets used to writing in a verbose style as a
result.

probably similar goes for standards documents, "hey, document writers,
you have to describe this file-format in no less than 200 pages", and
the writers proceed to do so... (and may spend 5 or 10 pages on
explaining the difference between big-endian vs little-endian, etc...).

OTOH, if a person can't figure out that "C++" is a programming language
without having it spelled out for them, in all likelihood, they have
little to gain from reading the paper. ("hey, what is with all this math
and punctuation characters?...").

or such...

Tobias Müller

BGB said:
it is like people setting minimums for the word count and number of
references in a paper... "I have to write this paper, have little to say
on the topic, and have to make it this length. what to do?... I know, add
lots of extra adjectives and make most of the references be to Wikipedia
articles and similar...".

With papers, my experience is actually the opposite of what you are
describing.
Most conferences impose a maximum page count for papers and people were
working hard putting as much information as possible into their papers.
Stripping away every unnecessary word, checking each sentence if it
couldn't be written shorter.
This makes those papers sometimes very hard to read. You have to be
concentrated all the time because every sentence is important.

Tobi

Stuart Redmann

With papers, my experience is actually the opposite of what you are
describing.
Most conferences impose a maximum page count for papers and people were
working hard putting as much information as possible into their papers.
Stripping away every unnecessary word, checking each sentence if it
couldn't be written shorter.
This makes those papers sometimes very hard to read. You have to be
concentrated all the time because every sentence is important.

Tobi

That's a difficult problem. See, they don't want bad papers, and most
of the bad papers are those that have nothing to tell but do so on
100+ pages. So they decided to limit the amount of text.

What they did not take into account is that this makes life much
harder for people who have actually found out great stuff but need a
lot of introduction or lots of examples.

At my university some of the faculties had a lower limit for Diploma
theses (applied computer science, database, and such; it just goes to
show) whereas others had an upper limit (<50 pages for Structural
Complexity Theory). What a joke.

Regards,
Stuart

PS: To come back to your original question: I would only mention the C+
+ part if the usage of C++ is essential to your research. If you only
chose C++ because you are familiar with it, or you didn't want to use
pidgin code, you should better mention this fact in your subtitle or
even only in the abstract. OTOH, if you used some funky template
metaprogramming, you should mention C++ on the main title.

BGB

With papers, my experience is actually the opposite of what you are
describing.
Most conferences impose a maximum page count for papers and people were
working hard putting as much information as possible into their papers.
Stripping away every unnecessary word, checking each sentence if it
couldn't be written shorter.
This makes those papers sometimes very hard to read. You have to be
concentrated all the time because every sentence is important.

well, people often set an upper limit of 100 pages, but a lower limit of
10 or 25 pages.

sometimes, a person doesn't actually have enough to say on the topic to
make this many pages worth of content, so it is time to pad it out...

like, for a class "write a minimum 10 page paper of analysis on this
poem" or similar. person looks as poem, has little idea even what the
thing is saying much less what to write about it. like "what the hell
sense does this poem make anyways?... the author isn't actually saying
much of anything..." (then looking up stuff online, where the "analysis"
is people writing more stuff that doesn't make any sense, and has little
clear relation to much of anything), then ending up resorting to
imitating the style of this guy who makes "Let's Play" videos on the
internet (who goes by the name "MediBot"), and basically just pulling a
bunch of random crap out of the air, "it is a metaphor for this thing
and this other thing" and so on, and with some effort, pull enough crap
to fill up said paper...

nevermind if the teachers don't really like it and give it a poor grade
(like a C or similar... but, hell, better than an F for not turning in
anything...).

granted, yes, it is a bit easier to write a bit more if a person
actually cares about (or can at least understand) the topic...

or such...