Is it illegal for folks to copy my web site for their own websites?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by John D., May 3, 2004.

  1. John D.

    John D. Guest

    I'm thinking about posting some research that I have been working on for
    over a year. It is mostly investment and economic type of stuff. I'm
    wondering what, if anything, prevents someone from copying and pasting all
    my formulas, articles, and research to their own page and calling it their
    own?

    Thanks,
    John D.

    Excues the typoes
    John D., May 3, 2004

  2. John D. wrote:

    > I'm thinking about posting some research that I have been working on for
    > over a year. It is mostly investment and economic type of stuff. I'm
    > wondering what, if anything, prevents someone from copying and pasting all
    > my formulas, articles, and research to their own page and calling it their
    > own?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > John D.

    well if you put "HTML coding copyright John D. 2004" and then you catch
    someone using the exact same coding on another site then yes you can sue
    them.

    That doesnt mean that if you put "<a href="index.html">" you can sue
    anyone you want who uses that, it would have to be an entire page that's
    copied I think.

    but to answer the direct question, if you put it on the Internet, there
    is no way to stop someone from copying and pasting all your forumlas,
    articles, and research to their own page and calling it their own.
    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, May 3, 2004

  3. In article <8hxlc.583$>, Weyoun the
    Dancing Borg says...
    > John D. wrote:
    >
    > > I'm thinking about posting some research that I have been working on for
    > > over a year. It is mostly investment and economic type of stuff. I'm
    > > wondering what, if anything, prevents someone from copying and pasting all
    > > my formulas, articles, and research to their own page and calling it their
    > > own?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > John D.

    > well if you put "HTML coding copyright John D. 2004" and then you catch
    > someone using the exact same coding on another site then yes you can sue
    > them.

    That won't indicate protection of the content, though.

    Copyright is implied as soon as your work is published. For example,
    this message is copyright Hywel Jenkins. Just because I've posted it to
    a public forum doesn't reduce my copyright. There's no need to add a
    copyright notice.

    To the OP, there's nothing, apart from copyright law in several
    countries, to prevent others from stealing your work. If you're
    determined to make it difficult for people to steal, produce it as a
    protected PDF.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://kibo.org.uk/
    Hywel Jenkins, May 3, 2004
  4. Hywel Jenkins wrote:

    > That won't indicate protection of the content, though.
    >

    > Copyright is implied as soon as your work is published. For example,
    > this message is copyright Hywel Jenkins. Just because I've posted it to
    > a public forum doesn't reduce my copyright. There's no need to add a
    > copyright notice.

    No of course, however adding a copyright notice does deter some people.

    As for copyrighting the content, no you do not need to write copyright,
    but if you do write "all content on this site as well as propriety HTML,
    JavaScript (whatever) coding is copyright Original.Poster 2004" it would
    solve the content problem.

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, May 3, 2004
  5. John D.

    John D. Guest

    thanks group
    John D., May 3, 2004
  6. In article <okylc.3804$U7.743@newsfe1-win>, Weyoun the Dancing Borg
    says...
    > Hywel Jenkins wrote:
    >

    > > That won't indicate protection of the content, though.
    > >

    > > Copyright is implied as soon as your work is published. For example,
    > > this message is copyright Hywel Jenkins. Just because I've posted it to
    > > a public forum doesn't reduce my copyright. There's no need to add a
    > > copyright notice.

    > No of course, however adding a copyright notice does deter some people.
    >
    > As for copyrighting the content, no you do not need to write copyright,
    > but if you do write "all content on this site as well as propriety HTML,
    > JavaScript (whatever) coding is copyright Original.Poster 2004" it would
    > solve the content problem.

    What, exactly, is "proprietary HTML"? To reiterate my point, the
    copyright notice is unnecessary - for content and structure.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://kibo.org.uk/
    Hywel Jenkins, May 3, 2004
  7. While the city slept, Hywel Jenkins <> feverishly
    typed:

    > To the OP, there's nothing, apart from copyright law in several
    > countries, to prevent others from stealing your work.

    You could always make a deal with the mafia... could work! ;-)

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss.

    nice.guy.nige, May 4, 2004
  8. John D.

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Mon, 3 May 2004 15:25:50 -0400, "John D." <>
    wrote:

    >I'm
    >wondering what, if anything, prevents someone from copying and pasting all
    >my formulas, articles, and research to their own page and calling it their
    >own?

    Not a lot.

    Try reading http://creativecommons.org for some basic pointers on
    copyright issues about the web.

    --
    Smert' spamionam
    Andy Dingley, May 4, 2004
  9. John D.

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <VVwlc.64789$>, john-
    says...
    > I'm thinking about posting some research that I have been working on for
    > over a year. It is mostly investment and economic type of stuff. I'm
    > wondering what, if anything, prevents someone from copying and pasting all
    > my formulas, articles, and research to their own page and calling it their
    > own?

    Yes, a copyright, and a good lawyer does that.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, May 4, 2004
  10. John D.

    Richard Guest

    "John D." <> wrote in message

    > I'm thinking about posting some research that I have been working on for
    > over a year. It is mostly investment and economic type of stuff. I'm
    > wondering what, if anything, prevents someone from copying and pasting all
    > my formulas, articles, and research to their own page and calling it their
    > own?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > John D.

    Learn about copyright and plagerism.
    Depending on how much you pay, you can acquire more protection for your
    original work.
    Strongly suggest you seek out a copyright attorney and get his advice.
    Richard, May 4, 2004
  11. Hywel Jenkins wrote:

    > In article <okylc.3804$U7.743@newsfe1-win>, Weyoun the Dancing Borg
    > says...
    >
    >>Hywel Jenkins wrote:
    >>

    >>>That won't indicate protection of the content, though.
    >>>

    >>>Copyright is implied as soon as your work is published. For example,
    >>>this message is copyright Hywel Jenkins. Just because I've posted it to
    >>>a public forum doesn't reduce my copyright. There's no need to add a
    >>>copyright notice.

    >>No of course, however adding a copyright notice does deter some people.
    >>
    >>As for copyrighting the content, no you do not need to write copyright,
    >>but if you do write "all content on this site as well as propriety HTML,
    >>JavaScript (whatever) coding is copyright Original.Poster 2004" it would
    >>solve the content problem.

    > What, exactly, is "proprietary HTML"? To reiterate my point, the
    > copyright notice is unnecessary - for content and structure.

    I dunno, I couldn't think of the correct word.

    The structure. Or something. IT's hard to explain but I know wha tI mean :D
    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, May 5, 2004
  12. John D.

    Marc Nadeau Guest

    John D. a schtroumphé:

    > I'm thinking about posting some research that I have been
    > working on for
    > over a year. It is mostly investment and economic type of
    > stuff. I'm wondering what, if anything, prevents someone from
    > copying and pasting all my formulas, articles, and research to
    > their own page and calling it their own?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > John D.

    > Excues the typoes

    It happened to me, Somebody stole some of my pages and copied
    these on his own website without any kind of credit to me.

    I know that this is illegal, the problem is that it is expensive
    to sue somebody who lives on an other continent.

    If the pages were of an important value (i mean $$$) i would
    sue; but their exact worth would be hard to prove, so that is
    something that one must sometimes endure.

    I try to think about that like something flattering.
    My work is plagiarized, so it must be good. :-(

    When i got the time and money for a trip abroad this guy will
    have a kick in the ass from me. That's all i can do and it will
    be a real satisfaction.

    --
    mv sco /dev/null
    Marc Nadeau # La Pagerie /* http://www.pagerie.com */
    Marc Nadeau, May 6, 2004
  13. John D.

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <w9imc.25469$U75.14933@edtnps89>,
    says...
    > It happened to me, Somebody stole some of my pages and copied
    > these on his own website without any kind of credit to me.

    Can you show us the url of the pages that were so valuable that someone
    stole them? (I am just interested in seeing what someone thought they
    could not do themselves)

    > I know that this is illegal, the problem is that it is expensive
    > to sue somebody who lives on an other continent.

    Depends on what and why, but you are right on the expensive. Especially
    if you lose because then (again depending on local laws) you have to pay
    his legal fees and he can sue you for a frivolous law suit.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, May 6, 2004
  14. On Thu, 06 May 2004 03:19:56 GMT, Marc Nadeau
    <> wrote:

    >It happened to me, Somebody stole some of my pages and copied
    >these on his own website without any kind of credit to me.
    >
    >I know that this is illegal, the problem is that it is expensive
    >to sue somebody who lives on an other continent.
    >
    >If the pages were of an important value (i mean $$$) i would
    >sue; but their exact worth would be hard to prove, so that is
    >something that one must sometimes endure.
    >
    >I try to think about that like something flattering.
    >My work is plagiarized, so it must be good. :-(
    >
    >When i got the time and money for a trip abroad this guy will
    >have a kick in the ass from me. That's all i can do and it will
    >be a real satisfaction.

    I thought one of the usual responses to this was to inform this guy's
    isp, who might/should take penal action

    Regards

    David M Wicker
    www.atf-uk.co.uk