Is it legal to include source file?

Al Balmer

(e-mail address removed) said:

That'th all right, Igor. The uthual way to incorporate multiple
thourtheth into one program ith to compile them theparately, and then
link them together. For ecthample, if you are uthing the GNU compiler
(which begth to be lithped, but I lack thuffithient thpittle), you
might do thith:

gcc -W -Wall -ansi -pedantic -c -o x.o x.c
gcc -W -Wall -ansi -pedantic -c -o y.o y.c
gcc -W -Wall -ansi -pedantic -c -o z.o z.c
gcc -W -Wall -ansi -pedantic -o foo x.o y.o z.o

Might I altho thuggetht that you invethtigate your implementathion'th
third-party library fathilitieth?

What brought that on?

Walter Roberson

C99 6.10.2p4, p5:
... The method by which a sequence of preprocessing tokens between
a < and a > preprocessing token pair or a pair of " characters is
combined into a single header name preprocessing token is
implementation-defined.
The implementation shall provide unique mappings for sequences
consisting of one or more letters or digits (as defined in 5.2.1)
followed by a period (.) and a single letter. The first character
shall be a letter. The implementation may ignore the distinctions
of alphabetical case and restrict the mapping to eight significant
characters before the period.

Thanks for the clarification, Keith. Checking, I see that C89 only
required support for six significant characters, and I also see
that in C89 there was no mandatory support for digits in the sequence.

I was definitely wrong about 'h' being the only extension that
needs to be supported, and since the OP did live within the single-letter
extension limit, that makes my caveat to the OP overall incorrect.

Johan Bengtsson

Barry said:
Nope, never heard of them. And based on your post, I can't tell if
the title should be Discworld or Dizcworld. But then again, it
doesn't really matter.

For the record: I have never heard of it either. Should I?

Mark McIntyre

For the record: I have never heard of it either. Should I?

Golly. Terry Pratchett's Discworld series is only about the most
successful fantasy series around at the moment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld

"Newly released Discworld books regularly top The Sunday Times
bestsellers list, making Pratchett the UK's best-selling author in the
1990s. He ... still holds the record for the most shoplifted books.
Discworld novels have also won awards such as the Prometheus Award and
the Carnegie Medal. In the BBC's Big Read, five Discworld books were
in the top 100, and a total of fifteen in the top 200."

--
Mark McIntyre

--Brian Kernighan

Johan Bengtsson

Mark said:
Golly. Terry Pratchett's Discworld series is only about the most
successful fantasy series around at the moment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld

"Newly released Discworld books regularly top The Sunday Times
bestsellers list, making Pratchett the UK's best-selling author in the
1990s. He ... still holds the record for the most shoplifted books.
Discworld novels have also won awards such as the Prometheus Award and
the Carnegie Medal. In the BBC's Big Read, five Discworld books were
in the top 100, and a total of fifteen in the top 200."
Ahhh, I put them on my wishlist for birthday and christmas then...

Keith Thompson

Johan Bengtsson said:
For the record: I have never heard of it either. Should I?

<WAY_OT>
Discworld is a series of satirical fantasy novels by Terry Pratchett.
I'm sorry to say I haven't read them myself, but I assume there's a
running joke about a character named Igor, probably based on the
character Igor from the Frankenstein movies, which is what I
originally assumed RH was referring to ("Yeth, Mathter!"). If you're
really curious, Wikipedia has an article on Igor at
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igor_(Discworld)>.

Since RH has apologized to the OP, I won't comment further.
</WAY_OT>

Default User

Keith Thompson wrote:

<WAY_OT>
Discworld is a series of satirical fantasy novels by Terry Pratchett.
I'm sorry to say I haven't read them myself, but I assume there's a
running joke about a character named Igor, probably based on the
character Igor from the Frankenstein movies, which is what I
originally assumed RH was referring to ("Yeth, Mathter!"). If you're
really curious, Wikipedia has an article on Igor at
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igor_(Discworld)>.

Since RH has apologized to the OP, I won't comment further.
</WAY_OT>

Actually, Igor isn't *a* character, it's a race/profession of many
Igors.

Brian

BWIGLEY

Richard Heathfield said:
Don Bruder said:

Then I apologise unreservedly to the OP. Silly joke gone wrong.
Sorry.

At least it /was/ funny if you got it(and it even answered the
question). Of course for people who havn't read and Discworld books
it would probably seem a little snide and uncalled for.

Richard Heathfield

BWIGLEY said:
Sorry.

At least it /was/ funny if you got it(and it even answered the
question).

Oh, blethth you, thir - I wath beginning to feel very lonely in here...

Charlton Wilbur

JB> Ahhh, I put them on my wishlist for birthday and christmas
JB> then...

Put *one* on your wishlist; some people (such as myself) don't care
for them. I can see what's supposed to be funny in them, and I can
see how they amuse and delight other people, but they just don't work
for me.

Charlton

Johan Bengtsson

Charlton said:
JB> Ahhh, I put them on my wishlist for birthday and christmas
JB> then...

Put *one* on your wishlist; some people (such as myself) don't care
for them. I can see what's supposed to be funny in them, and I can
see how they amuse and delight other people, but they just don't work
for me.
Good general advice, I do however think (from the description in
wikipedia) that it is safe for me to wish them all, I am quite sure I
will appreciate it.

BWIGLEY

Johan Bengtsson said:
Good general advice, I do however think (from the description in
wikipedia) that it is safe for me to wish them all, I am quite sure I
will appreciate it.

Yes, you should. A couple of my favourite qoutes have got to be:

Of course, it's very important to be sober when you take an exam. Many
worthwhile careers in the street-cleansing, fruit-picking, and
subway-guitar-playing industries have been founded on a lack of
understanding of this simple fact.
-- Moving Pictures

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing
to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's
fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us.
I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Thrm. No
one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us.
It's Them that do the bad things.
-- Jingo

Rincewind had always been happy to think of himself as a racist. The
One Hundred Meters, the Mile, the Marathon -- hed run them all. Later,
when he learned with some surprise what the word actually meant, he'd
been equally certain he wasn't one.
-- The Last Continent

God, that was a bit of pointless (off topic) typing.