    The DataSet is some bigger, there are 50 fields and about 50000 rows in it.

    Is it OK to do so? Will DotFrameWork or IIS compress the tream when
    transferring?
    ad, Nov 5, 2005

  2. Hi,

    try the following: Save the XML representation of the ds to file and
    compress it yourself. Then check how big it is and think! IMHO sending a
    dataset this huge over the wire is NOT an appropriate solution!

    Regards

    Daniel

    Daniel Walzenbach, Nov 5, 2005

  3. ad

    ad Guest

    Thanks,
    Can we send zip file over WebService?

    "Daniel Walzenbach" <> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:%...

    ad, Nov 5, 2005
  4. ad

    Mr Newbie Guest

    Sending ZIPS is not what using web services is all about. Your data set may
    not be too big, it depends on how much data and how frequently you need to
    send it. But you need as pointed out before to re-think your strategy and
    work out if this is the smartest move.

    --
    Best Regards

    The Inimitable Mr Newbie º¿º

    Mr Newbie, Nov 5, 2005
  5. Think about what your asking to do.........

    A web service is just a web page, with exposed methods that can be called
    via a local proxy. So, if you could transfer a dataset in and out of a
    method, then you can transfer one in and out of a webservice. An
    alternative, is to turn the dataaset into a file and upload that, rather
    than calling a remote method with dataset as an argument. Try it first and
    see what the impact is before you try and reinvent anything.

    The problem you may likely have is one of size, timeout and deadlocked
    application state - so you might want to read about large file upload
    timeouts to see what the impact of any large file transmission might be on a
    webserver. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;841557

    You can of course turn your datasetr into an actual file, and transmit the
    file using an upload.

    http://www.webserviceresource.com/resources/redirect.aspx?resourceid=443

    ....a good solution for large file transmission would be to chunk the file
    into pieces, and transmit lots of small pieces.

    http://www.codeproject.com/cs/webservices/DimeBufferedUpload.asp

    --
    Regards

    John Timney
    ASP.NET MVP
    Microsoft Regional Director

    John Timney \( MVP \), Nov 5, 2005
  6. ad

    Scott Allen Guest

    Something else to consider is interoperability. DataSets only work
    easily when .NET is on both sides of the wire.

    --
    Scott
    http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

    Scott Allen, Nov 6, 2005
  7. ad

    Mr Newbie Guest

    Dr Mandlebrot

    Your Dr. Mandelbrot post seems a tad dubious if you were to ask me! I'm sure
    that his light wave equation would have gone into a bit of a wobble had he
    read this !

    On the subject of stars, it appears Andromeda is heading towards us at a
    colossal rate,and if this doesn't get us then a Super Massive Black Hole at
    the centre of our galaxy has begun to feed on gas again, and is glowing
    white around the edges; so this has the potential to be yet another sign of
    impending doom. If we dont get eaten alive and compressed into an infinately
    dense point, then we will be vapourised in an instant.

    Dont hold your breath though, the Black Hole is twenty four light years
    away, and Andromeda is not due to collide with us for another three billion
    years.

    PS : You have a typo in that post.
    //
    "Read the find print", he said,
    \\

    ed - O^O

    Best Regards

    The Inimitable Mr Newbie º¿º
    ----------

    Mr Newbie, Nov 6, 2005
  8. Re: Dr Mandlebrot

    > Dont hold your breath though, the Black Hole is twenty four light years
    > away, and Andromeda is not due to collide with us for another three
    > billion years.

    ....and as Dr. Mandelbrot would say, "there's many a slip twixt the cup and
    the lip." Or was that Dr. Heisenberg?

    --
    ;-),

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    A watched clock never boils.

    Kevin Spencer, Nov 6, 2005
  9. Re: Dr Mandlebrot

    IF Dr. Heisenberg knew where the cup was,
    he couldn't know where his lips were.

    ;-)

    Juan T. Llibre, ASP.NET MVP
    ASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ======================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Nov 6, 2005
  10. ad

    Mr Newbie Guest

    Duality

    I have often beleived that this principle is demonstrated in every day life.
    Sometimes when I go to debug a problem, it disapears. When I'm not looking,
    it comes back.

    --
    Best Regards

    The Inimitable Mr Newbie º¿º

    Mr Newbie, Nov 6, 2005
  11. ad

    Scott Allen Guest

    Re: Dr Mandlebrot

    On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 08:28:31 -0000, "Mr Newbie" <> wrote:

    >PS : You have a typo in that post.
    >//
    >"Read the find print", he said,
    >\\

    Damn, I hate typos. Thanks for pointing that out!

    Scott Allen, Nov 7, 2005