Is it OK to transfer DataSet with WebService?

ad

I want to use WebServer to receive a DataSet from Client with internet.

The DataSet is some bigger, there are 50 fields and about 50000 rows in it.

Is it OK to do so? Will DotFrameWork or IIS compress the tream when
transferring?

Daniel Walzenbach

Hi,

try the following: Save the XML representation of the ds to file and
compress it yourself. Then check how big it is and think! IMHO sending a
dataset this huge over the wire is NOT an appropriate solution!

Regards

Daniel

ad

Thanks,
Can we send zip file over WebService?

Daniel Walzenbach said:
Hi,

try the following: Save the XML representation of the ds to file and
compress it yourself. Then check how big it is and think! IMHO sending a
dataset this huge over the wire is NOT an appropriate solution!

Regards

Daniel

Mr Newbie

Sending ZIPS is not what using web services is all about. Your data set may
not be too big, it depends on how much data and how frequently you need to
send it. But you need as pointed out before to re-think your strategy and
work out if this is the smartest move.

John Timney \( MVP \)

Think about what your asking to do.........

A web service is just a web page, with exposed methods that can be called
via a local proxy. So, if you could transfer a dataset in and out of a
method, then you can transfer one in and out of a webservice. An
alternative, is to turn the dataaset into a file and upload that, rather
than calling a remote method with dataset as an argument. Try it first and
see what the impact is before you try and reinvent anything.

The problem you may likely have is one of size, timeout and deadlocked
application state - so you might want to read about large file upload
timeouts to see what the impact of any large file transmission might be on a
webserver. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;841557

You can of course turn your datasetr into an actual file, and transmit the
file using an upload.

http://www.webserviceresource.com/resources/redirect.aspx?resourceid=443

....a good solution for large file transmission would be to chunk the file
into pieces, and transmit lots of small pieces.

http://www.codeproject.com/cs/webservices/DimeBufferedUpload.asp

--
Regards

John Timney
ASP.NET MVP
Microsoft Regional Director

Scott Allen

Something else to consider is interoperability. DataSets only work
easily when .NET is on both sides of the wire.

Mr Newbie

Your Dr. Mandelbrot post seems a tad dubious if you were to ask me! I'm sure
that his light wave equation would have gone into a bit of a wobble had he
read this !

On the subject of stars, it appears Andromeda is heading towards us at a
colossal rate,and if this doesn't get us then a Super Massive Black Hole at
the centre of our galaxy has begun to feed on gas again, and is glowing
white around the edges; so this has the potential to be yet another sign of
impending doom. If we dont get eaten alive and compressed into an infinately
dense point, then we will be vapourised in an instant.

Dont hold your breath though, the Black Hole is twenty four light years
away, and Andromeda is not due to collide with us for another three billion
years.

PS : You have a typo in that post.
//
"Read the find print", he said,
\\

ed - O^O

Best Regards

The Inimitable Mr Newbie º¿º

Kevin Spencer

Dont hold your breath though, the Black Hole is twenty four light years
away, and Andromeda is not due to collide with us for another three
billion years.

....and as Dr. Mandelbrot would say, "there's many a slip twixt the cup and
the lip." Or was that Dr. Heisenberg?

--
;-),

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
A watched clock never boils.

Juan T. Llibre

IF Dr. Heisenberg knew where the cup was,
he couldn't know where his lips were.

;-)

Mr Newbie

I have often beleived that this principle is demonstrated in every day life.
Sometimes when I go to debug a problem, it disapears. When I'm not looking,
it comes back.