    in the parent to scroll back up again.

    Any ideas oh knowledgeable ones?

    Thanks ! :)
    Chris Ianson, Mar 23, 2006

  2. Chris Ianson wrote:
    > Hi, I have a page, with an inline frame.
    >
    > When someone clicks a hyperlink I want it to go to a bookmark within the
    > inline frame AND THEN call a bookmark in the parent frame.

    By bookmark I am assuming you mean and 'anchor' on the page or the
    'fragment' of a URL (the part after the '#')

    > The reason for this is the bookmark in the inline frame causes the parent
    > frame to scroll down, which I do not want. I will therefore have a bookmark
    > in the parent to scroll back up again.

    Not without reliance on JavaScript because the fragment is not
    transmitted, but is handled in the browser. Frames, iframes -- all the
    same, what at first seems like a simple solution winds up plague with
    'little problems'.

    URL? You might better solve your problem by dropping the iframe.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 23, 2006

  3. Chris Ianson

    Chris Ianson Guest

    > Not without reliance on JavaScript because the fragment is not
    > transmitted, but is handled in the browser. Frames, iframes -- all the
    > same, what at first seems like a simple solution winds up plague with
    > 'little problems'.
    >
    > URL? You might better solve your problem by dropping the iframe.

    Thanks, sadly no URL as yet, and for reasons I won't go into, I have to have
    the iframe there.

    So there's really no way to call two URLs from one hyperlink?

    E.g. say I wanted: [Click here]
    And when they click there, it opens 2 windows - google.com and yahoo.com?

    Thanks.
    Chris Ianson, Mar 23, 2006
  4. On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 17:19:35 +0000, Chris Ianson wrote:

    > Thanks, sadly no URL as yet, and for reasons I won't go into, I have to
    > have the iframe there.

    I'm very curious about those reasons. Tell!

    --
    "Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any
    good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats."
    Guybrush Threepwood, Mar 23, 2006
  5. Chris Ianson wrote:
    > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Not without reliance on JavaScript because the fragment is not
    >> transmitted, but is handled in the browser. Frames, iframes -- all the
    >> same, what at first seems like a simple solution winds up plague with
    >> 'little problems'.
    >>
    >> URL? You might better solve your problem by dropping the iframe.

    > Thanks, sadly no URL as yet, and for reasons I won't go into, I have to have
    > the iframe there.

    Surprise, surprise! Amazing how often we here that here. Usually the
    reasons are not good ones.

    > So there's really no way to call two URLs from one hyperlink?
    >
    > E.g. say I wanted: [Click here]
    > And when they click there, it opens 2 windows - google.com and yahoo.com?

    Again no, not without requiring JavaScript. Period. But there is most
    likely a much better way to do what you want if we had more information.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 23, 2006
  6. Chris Ianson

    Chris Ianson Guest

    > Surprise, surprise! Amazing how often we here that here. Usually the
    > reasons are not good ones.

    I have a panoramic image that I want users to be able to scroll left and
    right through. *Please*, no advice needed or requested on other ways to do
    that because it needs to be done in HTML and an iframe is the only way.

    I have placed the panoramic in an iframe, and it works perfectly. The
    scroll bar of the iframe allows you to scroll left and right along the
    image.

    When I was users to be able to jump to the next image, I have a hotspot in
    the panorama, and it loads a new image into the iframe and jumps them to the
    bookmarked place on the new image.

    However the downside is this causes the browser's *main* window to scroll
    down to the bottom for some reason.

    I simply want it to either not do that, or to scroll back up again.

    >> So there's really no way to call two URLs from one hyperlink?
    >>
    >> E.g. say I wanted: [Click here]
    >> And when they click there, it opens 2 windows - google.com and yahoo.com?

    > Again no, not without requiring JavaScript. Period. But there is most
    > likely a much better way to do what you want if we had more information.

    Hope you understand now, and that I'm not into dodgy sites if that is what
    you were implying, but thanks for your faith :p
    Chris Ianson, Mar 23, 2006
  7. Chris Ianson

    Spartanicus Guest

    "Chris Ianson" <> wrote:

    >I have placed the panoramic in an iframe, and it works perfectly. The
    >scroll bar of the iframe allows you to scroll left and right along the
    >image.
    >
    >When I was users to be able to jump to the next image, I have a hotspot in
    >the panorama, and it loads a new image into the iframe

    Therein may lie your problem, place the link to change to the next image
    on the page itself, then you can use the target attribute to load the
    image into the iframe.

    >and jumps them to the
    >bookmarked place on the new image.

    You're not making any sense, bookmarks are a browser property.

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Mar 23, 2006
  8. Chris Ianson

    Chris Ianson Guest

    "Spartanicus" <> wrote in message
    > "Chris Ianson" <> wrote:

    >>When I was users to be able to jump to the next image, I have a hotspot in
    >>the panorama, and it loads a new image into the iframe

    > Therein may lie your problem, place the link to change to the next image
    > on the page itself, then you can use the target attribute to load the
    > image into the iframe.

    Have tried that but it doesn't change the problem.

    >>and jumps them to the
    >>bookmarked place on the new image.

    > You're not making any sense, bookmarks are a browser property.

    name="place1" is referred to sometimes as a 'bookmark'. A place within the
    web page that the browser can jump to. E.g. index.htm#place1 will take me
    to that bookmark.

    I want users to be able to jump to different parts of the long panoramic
    image I have placed in the iframe.

    I have achieved this without any need for flash or QuickTime, by drawing a
    layer on the image, and placing a bookmark in it. Now users can jump to
    different parts of the image. It works perfectly, except the browser also
    scrolls the main window all the way down, which causes the iframe position
    to scroll up the page. It stays in view, but the stuff above it does not,
    and that's the problem.

    Is anyone able to advise how to call a 2nd bookmark that will reset the main
    page position within the window, all from the one user click?

    If it needs to be JavaScript, so be it. I'm open to suggestions, cheers
    guys.
    Chris Ianson, Mar 23, 2006
  9. Chris Ianson

    Spartanicus Guest

    "Chris Ianson" <> wrote:

    >>>and jumps them to the
    >>>bookmarked place on the new image.

    >> You're not making any sense, bookmarks are a browser property.

    >name="place1" is referred to sometimes as a 'bookmark'.

    By the ignorant perhaps, for the rest of us it's a name attribute with
    presumably a named link end for use with a link fragment identifier.

    >I want users to be able to jump to different parts of the long panoramic
    >image I have placed in the iframe.

    This really needs an url for us to make sense of what you are trying to
    do. Upload an example it if it isn't online already.

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Mar 23, 2006
  10. Guybrush Threepwood wrote:

    > On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 17:19:35 +0000, Chris Ianson wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks, sadly no URL as yet, and for reasons I won't go into, I have to
    >> have the iframe there.

    > I'm very curious about those reasons. Tell!

    They are the *real* secret of Monkey Island! Arrrrrrr.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Mar 23, 2006
  11. Chris Ianson wrote:

    > I have achieved this without any need for flash or QuickTime, by drawing a
    > layer on the image, and placing a bookmark in it. Now users can jump to
    > different parts of the image. It works perfectly, except the browser also
    > scrolls the main window all the way down, which causes the iframe position
    > to scroll up the page. It stays in view, but the stuff above it does not,
    > and that's the problem.

    Chris, how many browsers have you checked this in?

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 23, 2006
  12. Chris Ianson

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Chris Ianson
    <> declared in alt.html:
    > "Spartanicus" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Therein may lie your problem, place the link to change to the next image
    >> on the page itself, then you can use the target attribute to load the
    >> image into the iframe.

    > Have tried that but it doesn't change the problem.

    That definitely doesn't sound right. We definitely need a URL.

    > name="place1" is referred to sometimes as a 'bookmark'.

    I've certainly never heard it called that before. A bookmark is in most
    browsers what IE calls a "Favorite".

    --
    Mark Parnell

    Now implementing http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    Mark Parnell, Mar 23, 2006
  13. On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 13:58:49 -0800, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Guybrush Threepwood wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 17:19:35 +0000, Chris Ianson wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thanks, sadly no URL as yet, and for reasons I won't go into, I have to
    >>> have the iframe there.

    >> I'm very curious about those reasons. Tell!

    > They are the *real* secret of Monkey Island! Arrrrrrr.

    Haha. Something for Monkey Island 5 then!

    Guybrush Threepwood, Mar 24, 2006
  14. Chris Ianson

    Dan Guest

    Chris Ianson wrote:
    > I have achieved this without any need for flash or QuickTime, by drawing a
    > layer on the image, and placing a bookmark in it. Now users can jump to
    > different parts of the image. It works perfectly, except the browser also
    > scrolls the main window all the way down, which causes the iframe position
    > to scroll up the page. It stays in view, but the stuff above it does not,
    > and that's the problem.

    It would really help if we could see an actual URL that demonstrates
    this effect, so we don't just have to make blind guesses as to the
    actual code you are using. A simple targetted hyperlink doesn't have
    the "jumping" effect that you're citing, so perhaps you're doing some
    silly thing like using an "onclick" JavaScript event on a hyperlink to
    "#" alone, which indeed causes a pointless "jump" in the original page.
    The best solution to this is not to do that; simply use the
    destination URL in the "href" attribute and use a "target" attribute to
    target the iframe. If for some reason it's actually necessary to have
    an action take place in an "onclick" event without a real target URL in
    the "href" attribute, you can end the JavaScript code with "return
    false;" to suppress the jump, but you're still introducing
    accessibility problems by not having your site work without Javascript.

    --
    Dan
    Dan, Mar 24, 2006
  15. Guybrush Threepwood wrote:

    > On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 13:58:49 -0800, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> Guybrush Threepwood wrote:

    >>> I'm very curious about those reasons. Tell!

    >> They are the *real* secret of Monkey Island! Arrrrrrr.

    > Haha. Something for Monkey Island 5 then!

    They got four out of that? Not bad.

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 24, 2006
  16. Chris Ianson

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Blinky the Shark
    <> declared in alt.html:
    > Guybrush Threepwood wrote:
    >
    >> Haha. Something for Monkey Island 5 then!

    > They got four out of that? Not bad.

    The 3rd one was the best though. Wasn't overly impressed with #4. They
    went 3D, and didn't do a great job of it. Then again, it was an
    improvement over Grim Fandango. :)

    Mark Parnell, Mar 24, 2006
  17. On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 17:28:17 -0800, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    [snip]

    Something completely off-topic, but in your signature you state you kill
    all posts coming from Google Groups. I see you also use Pan. How do you
    kill by newsreader? Never got that working...

    Guybrush Threepwood, Mar 24, 2006
  18. Chris Ianson

    JDS Guest

    On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 19:26:19 +0000, Chris Ianson wrote:

    > I have a panoramic image that I want users to be able to scroll left and
    > right through. *Please*, no advice needed or requested on other ways to do
    > that because it needs to be done in HTML and an iframe is the only way.

    Ah, grasshopper, but that is not so. There are several viable
    alternatives to producing your desired result:

    * Flash
    * Java applet
    * Javascript/Ajax thing (a la Google Maps)
    * CSS: 'overflow' and 'scroll'

    Probably some others. There is always another way to do something. Not
    all suggested are the "best" way; I would try for the CSS method, as it
    fits your "must be done in HTML" requirement (alhtough I bet that is
    broken in MSIE).

    later...

    --
    JDS |
    JDS, Mar 24, 2006
  19. Guybrush Threepwood wrote:

    > On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 17:28:17 -0800, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > Something completely off-topic, but in your signature you state you kill
    > all posts coming from Google Groups. I see you also use Pan. How do you
    > kill by newsreader? Never got that working...

    Explained in general terms if you follow that sig link. :)

    Pan/slrn/Xnews/others syntax:

    %BOS
    [*]
    Score:: =-9999
    %EOS

    That's cheap (efficient) scoring. If you filter on the User-Agent header
    it's expensive, since that's not included in the server's XOVER database.
    So stick with what I've shown.

    Put it at the top of your Score file. The equals symbol in the Score line
    means "stop processing this post after this rule", so the post is plonked
    before any other rules even get a look at it.

    In Filters, uncheck the option to show posts with a -9999 score.

    Enjoy the Improved Usenet. ;)

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 24, 2006
  20. Chris Ianson

    Chris Ianson Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > Chris Ianson wrote:
    >
    >> I have achieved this without any need for flash or QuickTime, by drawing
    >> layer on the image, and placing a bookmark in it. Now users can jump to
    >> different parts of the image. It works perfectly, except the browser
    >> also
    >> scrolls the main window all the way down, which causes the iframe
    >> position
    >> to scroll up the page. It stays in view, but the stuff above it does
    >> not,
    >> and that's the problem.

    > Chris, how many browsers have you checked this in?

    IE6 and IE7.
    Chris Ianson, Mar 24, 2006