Is it possible for a hyperlink to call TWO URLs?

Chris Ianson

Els said:
It works here in IE6 and IE7 and Firefox - it doesn't in Opera, but in
Opera you can scroll from left to right with the mouse wheel, as long
as the pointer is on the scrollbar.

When you say "it works", don't get me wrong, 'it works' for me too in that I
can jump around the image. Nothing is broke.

Here is the real crux of the issue as I mentioned earlier in this thread.
You see the lines of text above the image? I need those to be visible, even
after you have clicked on Go To End or Go To Start.

In my finished site there will not be text there, but other elements such as
a map and icon instructions for various features on the image.

I don't want these to shoot out of view when people jump around the image.
Hope that's clear! :)

Appreciate your help and am drooling in anticipation of chris3.html!

Chris Ianson

I said it could be done with reliance JavaScript, but your stipulation was
'just HTML'

Sorry, as you know I'm new to this and it's just a hobby, so to me HTML
includes the JavaScript within a .html file.

So, I'd be interested in seeing how you propose to scroll the window back up
with JavaScript. Many thanks!

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Jonathan N. Little quothed:
No, the best the I can understand it is that he does not want the main
frame to scroll at all, but since the anchors are within the iframe the
link is going to scroll the outer frame to the top of the iframe,
always! Again there is NO WAY to do what he wishes with HTML alone.

What he wants is something that functions like a Java applet or Flash
object.

I've tried all the examples so far in ie(6,xp,sp2) and ff, and in all
the iframe jumps to the top. I've even dabbled with the html, and
phffft! I think a redesign is needed.

Els

Chris said:
When you say "it works", don't get me wrong, 'it works' for me too in that I
can jump around the image. Nothing is broke.

Here is the real crux of the issue as I mentioned earlier in this thread.
You see the lines of text above the image? I need those to be visible, even
after you have clicked on Go To End or Go To Start.

In my finished site there will not be text there, but other elements such as
a map and icon instructions for various features on the image.

I don't want these to shoot out of view when people jump around the image.
Hope that's clear! :)

It is now - it wasn't before!
Appreciate your help and am drooling in anticipation of chris3.html!

Ha! <g>
It's Saturday today - one of my two days off - not doing anything
difficult :p

Let me give you this though: It will never do what you want as long as
the image is *inside* the iframe and the other objects are *outside*
the iframe. I'll also tell you why. The problem is not calling two
urls with one click, but that you can't call anything in the main page
from the iframed page. The links in the iframe don't see the main page
so to speak.

Your solution would be to have the other objects in the iframe as
well, but with fixed position, which isn't quite working yet in IE.

Okay - one more then:
http://here.locusmeus.com/temp/chris3.html

This works in FF and in IE7, and the 'objects-bar' also stays fixed in
Opera 8.52. In Opera 9beta the jumping to the right works, but not to
the left, and the picture is missing, but I can't figure out why.

To make it work for IE6, search the web for IE6 alternatives for fixed
positioning. Not gonna do that for you, it's still Saturday after all
:p

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Chris Ianson quothed:
Sorry, as you know I'm new to this and it's just a hobby, so to me HTML
includes the JavaScript within a .html file.

So, I'd be interested in seeing how you propose to scroll the window back up
with JavaScript. Many thanks!

Here's a vers. that works with javascript (-except in Opera but the
original didn't seem to work in Opera, either.)

http://www.neredbojias.com/zyxix/A1master.htm

Nick Theodorakis

Beauregard said:
Wasn't it AOL who started using the term "screen name" ?

AOL == Newbie

And I think the term "folders" appeared in the Maciverse before it was
adopted by MS.

Nick

Dan

Nick said:
And I think the term "folders" appeared in the Maciverse before it was
adopted by MS.

That's why I covered bases by referring to "computer and online
companies" rather than exclusively M$... they're not the sole offenders
in that regard.

Chris Ianson

Els said:
Okay, so I couldn't help myself :\
http://here.locusmeus.com/temp/chris4.html

- no iframe
- no fixed positioning
- valid HTML4.01 Strict

Works in IE7, IE6, IE5, FF and if you don't count manual scrolling:
Opera 8.5. Don't attempt in Opera9!

Well thank you for taking time out of your Saturday for all that!

Sadly :( I need the text to be outside the iframe so it doesn't disappear
when scrolling right in the panorama. Your 2 new examples still lose sight
of the text above the iframe :(

Maybe it just can't be done. Thanks though!

Chris Ianson

Here's a vers. that works with javascript (-except in Opera but the
original didn't seem to work in Opera, either.)

http://www.neredbojias.com/zyxix/A1master.htm

Genius! I love your style. While most other people spent days nitpicking
at me because I don't know as much as them (ooooh so impressive), you just
got down and gave me a simple solution in a few lines of JS. Kudos to you
my friend!

Does it work in FF, Opera, or Safari do you happen to know?

Again, thank you so much! I'm one happy bunny.

Chris

Els

Chris said:
Well thank you for taking time out of your Saturday for all that!

Sadly :( I need the text to be outside the iframe so it doesn't disappear
when scrolling right in the panorama. Your 2 new examples still lose sight
of the text above the iframe :(

My last example doesn't even have an iframe.

I don't think you're understanding what I did.
If you want the text to be visible, put it in the space I reserved for
"other objects". Obviously, this isn't a good idea for text that wraps
and is resizable, due to the fixed height. IIRC, you said you needed
the space for a map and other objects though. Not lorem ipsum. If 70px
isn't high enough for that, make that space bigger. If you would have
given *real* content for the area that needs to be in sight, I'd have
given it the correct space for that.
Maybe it just can't be done. Thanks though!

I'm quite sure that what you want can't be done.
Not because it isn't doable, but because you don't say what it is you
want. So far the closest thing to what you have actually said, would
be Neredbojias' example using JavaScript. Doesn't work without
JavaScript though, but then again you haven't yet said how many of the
prospective users of this page will have
a) JavaScript turned on
b) IE or FF
c) a very large window on a big enough monitor.
(have you looked at any of the examples on a 800x600?)

That, combined with you not saying what you want to achieve, makes it
impossible to get you what you want.

Chris Ianson

That, combined with you not saying what you want to achieve, makes it
impossible to get you what you want.

I hear ya and am sorry you seem to have taken something personally. I did
thank you for all your time! :)

I'm going to play with your example some more. Don't get me wrong, the
problem is just that it doesn't stop the page scrolling at all, which is
really the ideal solution. It still makes the page jump around.

I'll get back to you!

Chris Ianson

Neredbojias said:
With neither quill nor qualm, Chris Ianson quothed:

Here's a vers. that works with javascript (-except in Opera but the
original didn't seem to work in Opera, either.)

http://www.neredbojias.com/zyxix/A1master.htm

PS: Is there a way this can work *across* htm files?

Let's say 'Go to End' actually says 'Go to End of Image 2', and that calls a
name reference in a 2nd htm file called A2image.htm with a different
panorama inside.

When clicked it loads image2.htm into the same iframe, replacing image1.htm.

Or will this only work when jumping to name references within the same htm
file?

Els

Chris said:
I hear ya and am sorry you seem to have taken something personally.

Nope, I didn't - I just explained why it is difficult to help you.
I did thank you for all your time! :)

I'm going to play with your example some more. Don't get me wrong, the
problem is just that it doesn't stop the page scrolling at all, which is
really the ideal solution. It still makes the page jump around.

I'll get back to you!

So, let's say someone has scrolled your page all the way till the
actual image is in the top left corner of their window, and they press
the link that sends them to the right. You're saying you don't want
the page to be positioned so that the text above it is visible, but
just that it stays put. Correct?
Looks like that's what Neredbojias accomplished using JavaScript.
Can't be done with HTML afaics, and by your initial request to be able
to jump to an anchor in the main page at the same time as jumping to
an anchor in the iframed page, I didn't think that's what you were
after.

Chris Ianson

So, let's say someone has scrolled your page all the way till the
actual image is in the top left corner of their window, and they press
the link that sends them to the right. You're saying you don't want
the page to be positioned so that the text above it is visible, but
just that it stays put. Correct?

Sort of, but the point is more that I don't want the text (or map or
whatever) above the image to scroll out of frame when the panorama is
scrolled to the right. Sadly your solution, great though it is, does that.
Looks like that's what Neredbojias accomplished using JavaScript.

Yes, and the idea is that the page will be positioned correctly with the
text/map/etc. at the top of the window (using another jump tag when taken to
that main page in the first place), so when they move within the panorama,
it will stay in the same place.
Can't be done with HTML afaics, and by your initial request to be able
to jump to an anchor in the main page at the same time as jumping to
an anchor in the iframed page, I didn't think that's what you were
after.

Ah I see. The anchor in the main page would have been above the panorama,
to keep the text/map/etc. in view at the top of the window. Your solution
kind of does that, however it also has the downside that when you scroll
right in the image, the text above it scrolls outta view.

I think JS may be the way to go.

Thanks again!

Chris Ianson

So, let's say someone has scrolled your page all the way till the
actual image is in the top left corner of their window, and they press
the link that sends them to the right. You're saying you don't want
the page to be positioned so that the text above it is visible, but
just that it stays put. Correct?

Well it would be nice for them to have the choice of where the page stays,
that's all.
Looks like that's what Neredbojias accomplished using JavaScript.

Yes, and the idea is that the page will be positioned correctly with the
text/map/etc. at the top of the window (using another jump tag when taken to
that main page in the first place), so when they move within the panorama,
it will stay in the same place.
Can't be done with HTML afaics, and by your initial request to be able
to jump to an anchor in the main page at the same time as jumping to
an anchor in the iframed page, I didn't think that's what you were
after.

Ah I see. The anchor in the main page would have been above the panorama,
to keep the text/map/etc. in view at the top of the window.

You've achieved a similar thing with #4 example. Is that a layout table or
something similar? I'm just wondering if there's a way to format it a bit
and put padding, 3D borders, etc. as with normal tables?

If not I think JS may be the way to go.

Thanks again!

Els

Chris said:
So, let's say someone has scrolled your page all the way till the
actual image is in the top left corner of their window, and they press
the link that sends them to the right. You're saying you don't want
the page to be positioned so that the text above it is visible, but
just that it stays put. Correct?

Well it would be nice for them to have the choice of where the page stays,
that's all.
Looks like that's what Neredbojias accomplished using JavaScript.

Yes, and the idea is that the page will be positioned correctly with the
text/map/etc. at the top of the window (using another jump tag when taken to
that main page in the first place), so when they move within the panorama,
it will stay in the same place.
[snip]

Ah I see. The anchor in the main page would have been above the panorama,
to keep the text/map/etc. in view at the top of the window.

So you're basically contradicting yourself.
a) you want the page to remain in the position it is in when the
visitor presses the link to jump to the right
b) you want the text/map/etc to remain in view at the top of the
window
You've achieved a similar thing with #4 example.

How did I achieve a + b ? Sorry, I really don't understand what you
mean. FWIW - I'm starting to get curious why any visitor would want to
jump from left to right in a picture that wide, as it means they'll
never see the middle of it. The beauty of a panoramic picture, is that
you can see a very wide scope in one view. If the visitor has to jump
from one end to another, just have 2 separate pictures.
Is that a layout table or something similar?

Wash your mouth with soap! <g>
There's no table on example #4 (or 3, 2 or 1 for that matter), not a
'layout' one, nor any other type.
I'm just wondering if there's a way to format it a bit
and put padding, 3D borders, etc. as with normal tables?

Of course it is. You're seeing a border now, aren't you? Just change
the properties. They won't be table borders though, as I didn't use
tables :p
If not I think JS may be the way to go.

I wish you luck ;-)
Thanks again!

You're welcome.

(note to Jonathan: I'm starting to see how you managed to munge the
Gufus thread with this one ;-) )

Jonathan N. Little

Chris said:
Genius! I love your style. While most other people spent days nitpicking
at me because I don't know as much as them (ooooh so impressive), you just
got down and gave me a simple solution in a few lines of JS. Kudos to you
my friend!

Firstly, you kept requesting a HTML only solution...
Does it work in FF, Opera, or Safari do you happen to know?

For Opera, No...

Chris Ianson

So you're basically contradicting yourself.
a) you want the page to remain in the position it is in when the
visitor presses the link to jump to the right
b) you want the text/map/etc to remain in view at the top of the
window

Sorry, it's incredibly hard to explain what I want to do, because it's a new
web site project that is copyright and has to remain confidential
intellectual property. I have uploaded an *example* of the *sort of thing*
I need to achieve, but that example is nothing to do with the finished idea.

All I wanted was for the main page not to scroll when jumping within the
iframe. That's all.

What you have done is propose 2 ways of it not scrolling quite so much. 1
way it scrolls a little way down but not as far. The other way, it stays at
the top of the image components you inserted.

So, ideally 'A' the page would remain in the same position, as for reasons
again I won't go into, it will be lined up nicely when they arrive at the
page. And 'B' that position will show the text/map at the top of the
*iframe* (not the window).
How did I achieve a + b ? Sorry, I really don't understand what you

No, I said "you've achieved a similar thing", not the same thing. I think
the trouble here is partly I can't give away 100% of the information, and
also people maybe don't have time to read fully. I shouldn't expect much as
I'm not paying you! :p
mean. FWIW - I'm starting to get curious why any visitor would want to
jump from left to right in a picture that wide, as it means they'll
never see the middle of it. The beauty of a panoramic picture, is that
you can see a very wide scope in one view. If the visitor has to jump
from one end to another, just have 2 separate pictures.

As I have now clarified, and as I said when I uploaded the example a couple
of days ago, it is just an example, it is not the actual site I am
designing.
Wash your mouth with soap! <g>
There's no table on example #4 (or 3, 2 or 1 for that matter), not a
'layout' one, nor any other type.

I'm interested in knowing how you achieved it. I don't claim to be a
computer or web page programmer, so what method is your code employing?
I've had a look at it and I can't fathom out how you've got the components
to stay in place at the top.
Of course it is. You're seeing a border now, aren't you? Just change
the properties. They won't be table borders though, as I didn't use
tables :p

So I couldn't get a 3D border (light top & left border, dark bottom &
right)?

The other Q - if you have a mo - is: Is there an easy way to 'copy & paste'
my current iframe contents into your version of the panorama box? The
problem is, my current image has not just 2 layout cells on it saying
'start' and 'end', but about 15 layout cells, and 30 hotspot hyperlinks.

Any easy way to 'dump' that inside your solution, straight out of my iframe?
You're welcome.

So are you.
(note to Jonathan: I'm starting to see how you managed to munge the
Gufus thread with this one ;-) )

Sorry, what can I say, I'm a trouble-maker.

Hopefully one day you'll find my site when it takes over the world, and
realise what 'that guy' was trying to achieve! I'll try to remember to give
you the URL when it launches.

Chris Ianson

Firstly, you kept requesting a HTML only solution...

To the uninitiated, a file ending .html whether or not it contains
JavaScript, is an HTML file. I wanted a solution that worked in HTML. It's
always worth remembering there are people in the world who don't know as
much about computers as you do. To assume this group is for some reason the
exclusive domain of people who have a degree in web design is a little...
what's a polite word for presumptuous.
For Opera, No...

Thanks for the heads up.