    than creating the slides from scratch?

    Thanks,
    -Sean

    ssims, Feb 8, 2007

  2. ssims

    Mark Rae Guest

    "ssims" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > 1) Is it possible to create a powerpoint file with asp.net? I've
    > Googled it and can't seem to find a definitive guide.
    >
    > 2) If it is possible to create a powerpoint file with asp.net, is it
    > possible to pull exisiting slides together in a certain order rather
    > than creating the slides from scratch?

    It certainly is. There are two ways you could do it:

    1) Use the Office XML file format:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...52-3547-420a-a412-00a2662442d9&displaylang=en
    or
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...80-f2c0-4b80-9ad1-2cb0c300aef9&displaylang=en

    depending on your version of Office. This will allow you to create
    PowerPoint files of any complexity of content. It is completely free but,
    depending on your level of expertise with XML, you might find it a little
    challenging... :)

    2) Use Aspose:
    http://www.aspose.com/Products/Aspose.Slides/Default.aspx

    It's not free, but is incredibly easy to use, and will allow you to do
    everything that you require.

    Under no circumstances consider using Office Automation, as it is not
    designed to operate server-side:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q257757#kb2

    Mark Rae, Feb 8, 2007

  3. ssims

    ssims Guest

    It doesn't appear that Powerpoint supports the Office XML format...
    from the 2003 link, "This download contains documentation on a number
    of XML schemas for Microsoft® Office 2003 Editions including Microsoft
    Office Word 2003, Microsoft Office Excel 2003, Microsoft Office
    InfoPath® 2003, and Microsoft Office Visio® 2003 schemas. It also
    includes schema information for Microsoft Office OneNote® 2003,
    Microsoft Office Project 2003, and Microsoft Office Research
    Services." I also don't see an option to save as XML from
    Powerpoint. I guess I'll have to check out the commercial
    option...though I really wish I could find a free option.

    ssims, Feb 8, 2007
  4. ssims

    Mark Rae Guest

    "ssims" <> wrote in message

    > It doesn't appear that Powerpoint supports the Office XML format...
    > from the 2003 link

    Apologies - my mistake...

    > I guess I'll have to check out the commercial option...though I really
    > wish I could find a free option.

    Well, there may be other options depending on what you're actually trying to
    do...

    Is it absolutely 100% imperative that ASP.NET creates the PowerPoint
    files...?

    Mark Rae, Feb 8, 2007
  5. ssims

    ssims Guest

    The general idea is, upload a variety of slides (200ish)...

    Person logs in via the web, selects slides 1-5, 25, 37, 42 and clicks
    Generate and a PPT file is generated for them.

    I've been looking for any way to do this for almost 2 days, and it
    seems that the only way anyone has found to do it is through
    Automation.

    -Sean

    ssims, Feb 8, 2007
  6. ssims

    Ily Guest

    Hi

    This is exactly the app that we have done

    We used Aspose.Slides..

    A user would upload a file and an image would be created for each
    slide (aspose.slides can do this also)

    If a new presentation was needed, you could simply say I want slides
    1, 2, 10 and 11 in either pdf or powerpoint format and it worked.

    The kind of issues we had, was that to generate a pdf or a ppt, takes
    a lot of memory if the ppts are large and contain a lot of images.
    Generating a pdf can also be quite slow.

    Under any circumstances do not consider using office to do this. It
    doesnt scale well, you end up with powerpoint .exes remaining in
    memory and eventually the whole thing crashes on top of you. Not what
    you want for a application!

    Ily, Feb 8, 2007
  7. ssims

    Mark Rae Guest

    "ssims" <> wrote in message

    > I've been looking for any way to do this for almost 2 days, and it
    > seems that the only way anyone has found to do it is through
    > Automation.

    Please re-read (or even read for the first time) the link to the Microsoft
    page which advises you strongly not to do this - that page wasn't written
    for a joke, or to make your life difficult...

    If you go down the Automation route, there is a very high probability that
    it won't work at all in a production environment...

    Mark Rae, Feb 8, 2007
  8. ssims

    Mark Rae Guest

    "Ily" <> wrote in message

    > We used Aspose.Slides..

    Of course.

    > Under any circumstances do not consider using office to do this. It
    > doesnt scale well, you end up with powerpoint .exes remaining in
    > memory and eventually the whole thing crashes on top of you. Not what
    > you want for a application!

    It seems that, no matter how many times people are told this, they really
    won't believe it until their app crashes... :)

    Mark Rae, Feb 8, 2007
  9. re:
    > It seems that, no matter how many times people are told this

    You should have a template or snippet to send in your warnings about that regularly.
    Save some time that way...

    <vbg>

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ===================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Feb 8, 2007
  10. ssims

    ssims Guest

    I wasn't planning on using Automation...just stating that that seems
    to be the only way to do it documented on the web. If Aspose can do
    it for profit, why can't we do it using .Net or some other programming
    language?

    -Sean

    ssims, Feb 8, 2007
  11. ssims

    Mark Rae Guest

    "Juan T. Llibre" <> wrote in message

    > re:
    >> It seems that, no matter how many times people are told this

    > You should have a template or snippet to send in your warnings about that
    > regularly.
    > Save some time that way...
    >
    > <vbg>

    LOL! I usually just copy and paste from the previous one... ;-)

    Mark Rae, Feb 8, 2007
  12. ssims

    Mark Rae Guest

    "ssims" <> wrote in message

    > If Aspose can do it for profit, why can't we do it using .Net or some
    > other programming
    > language?

    You absolutely can do it yourself if you really want to, exactly the same
    way Aspose does it... I.e. open up a PowerPoint file in a hex editor and
    work out the file format... That's what Aspose did. Of course, it took them
    years and years of cumulative developer time - that's what you're paying for
    when you buy an Aspose licence...

    The same argument applies to all .NET assemblies... E.g. you don't have to
    use ADO.NET for your database work if you don't want to - nobody's stopping
    you writing your own library for this... It just so happens that Microsoft
    include ADO.NET in the Framework, but don't include a native .NET assembly
    for manipulating Office files. Why they don't do this is, of course, a
    totally different argument - the simple fact is, they don't...

    Big though the .NET Framework is, there are thousands and thousands of
    pieces of functionality which aren't included - that's where bespoke
    development comes in. You can either write it yourself or use a 3rd-party
    solution. Some of these are free and/or open source - others aren't...
    Aspose have spotted this gap in the market, and have filled it - you don't
    have to use their solution if you don't want to...

    Mark Rae, Feb 8, 2007