Is it possible to get Crystal Reports to print multiple reports in ASP.NET?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Rod, May 24, 2006.

  1. Rod

    Rod Guest

    We've got an old VB6 application which has 9 Crystal Reports it can print.
    These 9 reports are considered by our users to be in essence one "report",
    in the sense that they are all related and they cannot make their business
    plans without all 9 reports. However, they really are 9 separate reports, 7
    of which have sub-reports in them.

    One of my colleagues has been working on converting them from the VB6 app,
    to .RPT files which can be invoked from ASP.NET pages. This was
    demonstrated to a large group of our users last week. They were very
    excited and instantly saw the advantage (since most of these users are
    remote users, being able to access these reports off-site has become a huge
    issue with us). However, the very first question they had was, "can it
    print the whole thing at once?" They are used to the VB6 application
    invoking all 9 reports and printing them out, one at a time, in a way which
    seemed to the user to be just one report.

    To the best of my knowledge of both Crystal and ASP.NET, it is not possible
    to print 9 different Crystal Reports on an ASP.NET page, as if it was just
    one report. You can't simply "click one button" and all 9 comes out.

    Am I wrong about this? Is it possible, in ASP.NET, to print 9 separate
    Crystal Reports with just one click of a button? And if it is, how is it
    done?

    Rod

    Rod, May 24, 2006

  2. Rod

    o0JoeCool0o Guest

    I beleive you can use 9 different Crystal Report viewer controls on
    the same page

    the problem becomes whether or not the number of pages in your reports
    are dynamic, as they may overlap each other. The crystal report viewer
    will display the report as html on the page inside the viewer control.

    So start with that. now another thing to note is that all crystal
    reports can be exported as PDF, Excel Etc, (we use pdf) as then they
    can email them rather then print them save them do what they want with
    them etc.)

    Now there are third party controls you can use to stitch the seperate
    PDF reports into one and return just one PDf with all 9 Reports in it
    see mroe info here
    http://aspalliance.com/571

    o0JoeCool0o, May 24, 2006

  3. Rod

    Rod Guest

    Thank you, very much! This looks like it will work just fine.

    Rod

    Rod, May 25, 2006