    michaaal Guest

    Is it possible to have a drop-down select box (not multiple selections) that
    is editable to the end-user? Thanks !!

    michaaal, Jan 11, 2004

  2. michaaal

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:k55Mb.5179$>
    michaaal said:

    > Is it possible to have a drop-down select box (not multiple selections)

    whats the point of using a select element if it doesn't have multiple
    selections?.

    > that is editable to the end-user? Thanks !!

    sounds like you're trying to fix the wrong problem. how about describing
    what you're trying to achieve rather than asking for what you think is
    the solution.

    --
    brucie

    brucie, Jan 11, 2004

  3. michaaal

    rf Guest

    "michaaal" <> wrote in message
    > Is it possible to have a drop-down select box (not multiple selections)

    that
    > is editable to the end-user? Thanks !!

    No.

    Well, yes, if you want to throw pages of complicated javascript in there.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jan 11, 2004
  4. michaaal <> wrote:
    > Is it possible to have a drop-down select box (not multiple
    > selections) that is editable to the end-user? Thanks !!

    The purpose of a select box is so that you, the author, give only certain
    options to the user.

    The purpose of a text box, which sounds like what you want, is so that the
    user will enter their own input.
    --
    Michael Wilcox
    mjwilco at yahoo dot com

    Michael Wilcox, Jan 11, 2004
  5. michaaal

    michaaal Guest

    > sounds like you're trying to fix the wrong problem. how about describing
    > what you're trying to achieve rather than asking for what you think is
    > the solution.

    Brucie, your information is irrelivant to my question. With all due
    respect,
    I did not ask for assistance on anything but working with an element.

    I need for a textbox to have two functions: 1) be editable and 2) have the
    capability for the end-user to select from a drop-down list.

    Microsoft Access has this feature and it is very handy in certain
    situations.

    michaaal, Apr 1, 2004
  6. michaaal

    michaaal Guest

    > The purpose of a select box is so that you, the author, give only certain
    > options to the user.

    Not necessarily true. The author may want to give a list of "commonly used"
    words along with the ability for the author to give his or her own answer.

    Think about this type of scenario: What if, for example, the author had
    a text-field titled "Favorate Nightclub in your city". As a drop-down list
    he could offer the most common clubs in the area, however, because there
    may be some "hole in the wall" club that he is not aware of he may want
    to give the end-user the ability to put in his own answer.

    michaaal, Apr 1, 2004
  7. michaaal

    Rob McAninch Guest

    michaaal <news:x_Mac.25832$>:

    > I need for a textbox to have two functions: 1) be editable
    > and 2) have the capability for the end-user to select from a
    > drop-down list.

    What is your purpose? I would suggest you use a drop down list
    with, an option "Other" or the like. And include a text box for
    the user to fill in the specific option they want.

    You then of course need to validate the input accordingly. E.g.
    choose to ignore or question the user if "Other" is not selected
    AND there is input in the text box.

    > Microsoft Access has this feature and it is very handy in
    > certain situations.

    But you want this for a web page using more or less straight
    HTML?

    --
    Rob - http://rock13.com/
    Web Stuff: http://rock13.com/webhelp/

    Rob McAninch, Apr 1, 2004
  8. michaaal

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:x_Mac.25832$>
    "michaaal" <> said:

    >>> [original post inserted from 2004-01-10]
    >>> Is it possible to have a drop-down select box (not multiple selections) that
    >>> is editable to the end-user? Thanks !
    >>> http://groups.google.com/groups?as_umsgid=k55Mb.5179$

    >> sounds like you're trying to fix the wrong problem. how about describing
    >> what you're trying to achieve rather than asking for what you think is
    >> the solution.

    > Brucie, your information is irrelivant to my question.

    i don't believe so.

    > I need for a textbox to have two functions: 1) be editable

    the default behavior of an input type text

    > and 2) have the capability for the end-user to select from a drop-down
    > list.

    the default behavior of a select.

    don't try to combine the two. listen to robs advice, he has his head
    screwed on.

    --
    b r u c i e

    brucie, Apr 1, 2004
  9. michaaal

    michaaal Guest

    > > Brucie, your information is irrelivant to my question.
    >
    > i don't believe so.
    >
    > > I need for a textbox to have two functions: 1) be editable

    > the default behavior of an input type text
    >
    > > and 2) have the capability for the end-user to select from a drop-down
    > > list.

    > the default behavior of a select.
    >
    > don't try to combine the two. listen to robs advice, he has his head
    > screwed on.

    This type of thinking and shrewdness is likely to get you anywhere in life.
    You
    may want to do some research in polite communication and/or effective
    problem solving. These subjects have really helped me in my business
    endeavors.

    michaaal, Apr 1, 2004
  10. michaaal

    michaaal Guest

    > You then of course need to validate the input accordingly. E.g.
    > choose to ignore or question the user if "Other" is not selected
    > AND there is input in the text box.

    Yes, I see your point, Rob. This is definitely another way to
    approach the issue. However, I was searching for a specific
    way to manipulate a textbox/select box. And I guess it can't
    be done. Thank you for your time!

    michaaal, Apr 1, 2004
  11. michaaal

    Whitecrest Guest

    > This type of thinking and shrewdness is likely to get you anywhere in life.
    > You
    > may want to do some research in polite communication and/or effective
    > problem solving. These subjects have really helped me in my business
    > endeavors.

    Your spinning your wheels here. This is USENET. brucie, is giving you
    the answer that he believes is 100% correct. You just disagree.

    Here is how usenet works...

    1. You ask a question

    2. Everyone gives their opinion about what the answer is.

    3. Eventually the thread starts talking about why javascript is bad or
    why frames are bad (or about brucie and kangaroo sex)

    4. The thread ends.

    Welcome to USENET....
    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Apr 1, 2004
  12. michaaal

    Spartanicus Guest

    "michaaal" <> wrote:

    >> > Brucie, your information is irrelivant to my question.

    >> i don't believe so.
    >>
    >> > I need for a textbox to have two functions: 1) be editable

    >> the default behavior of an input type text
    >>
    >> > and 2) have the capability for the end-user to select from a drop-down
    >> > list.

    >> the default behavior of a select.
    >>
    >> don't try to combine the two. listen to robs advice, he has his head
    >> screwed on.

    >This type of thinking and shrewdness is likely to get you anywhere in life.
    >You
    >may want to do some research in polite communication and/or effective
    >problem solving. These subjects have really helped me in my business
    >endeavors.

    In business many elect to do whatever the client asks, no matter how
    misguided the request is, they are after all proving their income.

    Brucie isn't running a business here, he's trying to help you. Politely
    providing help on shooting yourself through the foot is not what we
    consider "help" here. Unscrupulous business sharks do, helpful people
    don't.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Apr 1, 2004
  13. michaaal

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:>
    Whitecrest <> said:

    > (or about brucie and kangaroo sex)

    rf has the roo. i have a concrete attack giraffe

    --
    b r u c i e

    brucie, Apr 1, 2004
  14. michaaal wrote:

    >>The purpose of a select box is so that you, the author, give only certain
    >>options to the user.

    > Not necessarily true. The author may want to give a list of "commonly used"
    > words along with the ability for the author to give his or her own answer.
    >
    > Think about this type of scenario: What if, for example, the author had
    > a text-field titled "Favorate Nightclub in your city". As a drop-down list
    > he could offer the most common clubs in the area, however, because there
    > may be some "hole in the wall" club that he is not aware of he may want
    > to give the end-user the ability to put in his own answer.

    <form name="Night_Club" method="post" action="">

    <select name="Night_Club" size="1" id="Night_Club">
    <option value="--" selected>Please select</option>
    <option value="RC">Rock City</option>
    <option value="Media">Media</option>
    <option value="Isis">Isis</option>
    <option value="Other">Other (Please Specify)</option>
    </select>

    <input name="Other" type="text" id="Other" value="Other (Please
    Specify)" size="25">

    </form>

    Weyoun the gowd damn Dominion Vorta who certainly , Apr 1, 2004

    oops, that should of course be <br />

    Weyoun the gowd damn Dominion Vorta who certainly , Apr 1, 2004
  16. Weyoun the gowd damn Dominion Vorta who certainly didn't dance wrote:

    > <input name="Other" type="text" id="Other" value="Other (Please
    > Specify)" size="25">

    and another oops, that should be

    <input name...... .... size="25" />

    Weyoun the gowd damn Dominion Vorta who certainly , Apr 1, 2004
  17. Quoth the raven named michaaal:

    > Microsoft Access has this feature and it is very handy in certain
    > situations.

    Microsoft Access has the feature known as a combobox.

    Most other desktop application languages have this tool as well. I do
    FoxPro programming, and the combobox can be made to show a list, and
    optionally, allow the user to add new items.

    The combobox is not the same as an HTML <select> element, and HTML is
    not a programming language.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 1, 2004
  18. michaaal

    Keeper Guest

    rolf.. very nice...

    btw: Brucie.. i couldn't agree more. your solution is ecactly what i came up
    with. it easy, efficient, and usefull.

    I wouldn't argue with him.. I have seen many of Brucies posts he is a
    knowledgeable HTML author.
    You ask the teacher a question... you do not ask the teacher if your answer
    is right..

    Later,
    Keeper

    "Whitecrest" <> wrote in message
    > > This type of thinking and shrewdness is likely to get you anywhere in

    life.
    > > You
    > > may want to do some research in polite communication and/or effective
    > > problem solving. These subjects have really helped me in my business
    > > endeavors.

    > Your spinning your wheels here. This is USENET. brucie, is giving you
    > the answer that he believes is 100% correct. You just disagree.
    >
    > Here is how usenet works...
    >
    > 1. You ask a question
    >
    > 2. Everyone gives their opinion about what the answer is.
    >
    > 3. Eventually the thread starts talking about why javascript is bad or
    > why frames are bad (or about brucie and kangaroo sex)
    >
    > 4. The thread ends.
    >
    > Welcome to USENET....
    > --
    > Whitecrest Entertainment