Is it possible to have an "editable" select-box?

michaaal

Is it possible to have a drop-down select box (not multiple selections) that
is editable to the end-user? Thanks !!

brucie

Is it possible to have a drop-down select box (not multiple selections)

whats the point of using a select element if it doesn't have multiple
selections?.
that is editable to the end-user? Thanks !!

sounds like you're trying to fix the wrong problem. how about describing
what you're trying to achieve rather than asking for what you think is
the solution.

rf

michaaal said:
Is it possible to have a drop-down select box (not multiple selections) that
is editable to the end-user? Thanks !!

No.

Well, yes, if you want to throw pages of complicated javascript in there.

Cheers
Richard.

Michael Wilcox

michaaal said:
Is it possible to have a drop-down select box (not multiple
selections) that is editable to the end-user? Thanks !!

The purpose of a select box is so that you, the author, give only certain
options to the user.

The purpose of a text box, which sounds like what you want, is so that the
user will enter their own input.

michaaal

sounds like you're trying to fix the wrong problem. how about describing
what you're trying to achieve rather than asking for what you think is
the solution.

Brucie, your information is irrelivant to my question. With all due
respect,
I did not ask for assistance on anything but working with an element.

I need for a textbox to have two functions: 1) be editable and 2) have the
capability for the end-user to select from a drop-down list.

Microsoft Access has this feature and it is very handy in certain
situations.

michaaal

The purpose of a select box is so that you, the author, give only certain
options to the user.

Not necessarily true. The author may want to give a list of "commonly used"
words along with the ability for the author to give his or her own answer.

Think about this type of scenario: What if, for example, the author had
a text-field titled "Favorate Nightclub in your city". As a drop-down list
he could offer the most common clubs in the area, however, because there
may be some "hole in the wall" club that he is not aware of he may want
to give the end-user the ability to put in his own answer.

Rob McAninch

michaaal said:
I need for a textbox to have two functions: 1) be editable
and 2) have the capability for the end-user to select from a
drop-down list.

What is your purpose? I would suggest you use a drop down list
with, an option "Other" or the like. And include a text box for
the user to fill in the specific option they want.

You then of course need to validate the input accordingly. E.g.
choose to ignore or question the user if "Other" is not selected
AND there is input in the text box.
Microsoft Access has this feature and it is very handy in
certain situations.

But you want this for a web page using more or less straight
HTML?

brucie

in post: <
[original post inserted from 2004-01-10]
http://groups.google.com/[email protected]
sounds like you're trying to fix the wrong problem. how about describing
what you're trying to achieve rather than asking for what you think is
the solution.
Brucie, your information is irrelivant to my question.

i don't believe so.
I need for a textbox to have two functions: 1) be editable

the default behavior of an input type text
and 2) have the capability for the end-user to select from a drop-down
list.

the default behavior of a select.

don't try to combine the two. listen to robs advice, he has his head
screwed on.

michaaal

Brucie, your information is irrelivant to my question.
i don't believe so.

the default behavior of an input type text

the default behavior of a select.

don't try to combine the two. listen to robs advice, he has his head
screwed on.

This type of thinking and shrewdness is likely to get you anywhere in life.
You
may want to do some research in polite communication and/or effective
problem solving. These subjects have really helped me in my business
endeavors.

michaaal

You then of course need to validate the input accordingly. E.g.
choose to ignore or question the user if "Other" is not selected
AND there is input in the text box.

Yes, I see your point, Rob. This is definitely another way to
approach the issue. However, I was searching for a specific
way to manipulate a textbox/select box. And I guess it can't
be done. Thank you for your time!

Whitecrest

This type of thinking and shrewdness is likely to get you anywhere in life.
You
may want to do some research in polite communication and/or effective
problem solving. These subjects have really helped me in my business
endeavors.

Your spinning your wheels here. This is USENET. brucie, is giving you
the answer that he believes is 100% correct. You just disagree.

Here is how usenet works...

1. You ask a question

2. Everyone gives their opinion about what the answer is.

3. Eventually the thread starts talking about why javascript is bad or
why frames are bad (or about brucie and kangaroo sex)

4. The thread ends.

Welcome to USENET....

Spartanicus

michaaal said:
This type of thinking and shrewdness is likely to get you anywhere in life.
You
may want to do some research in polite communication and/or effective
problem solving. These subjects have really helped me in my business
endeavors.

In business many elect to do whatever the client asks, no matter how
misguided the request is, they are after all proving their income.

Brucie isn't running a business here, he's trying to help you. Politely
providing help on shooting yourself through the foot is not what we
consider "help" here. Unscrupulous business sharks do, helpful people
don't.

Weyoun the gowd damn Dominion Vorta who certainly

michaaal said:
Not necessarily true. The author may want to give a list of "commonly used"
words along with the ability for the author to give his or her own answer.

Think about this type of scenario: What if, for example, the author had
a text-field titled "Favorate Nightclub in your city". As a drop-down list
he could offer the most common clubs in the area, however, because there
may be some "hole in the wall" club that he is not aware of he may want
to give the end-user the ability to put in his own answer.

<form name="Night_Club" method="post" action="">

<select name="Night_Club" size="1" id="Night_Club">
<option value="--" selected>Please select</option>
<option value="RC">Rock City</option>
<option value="Media">Media</option>
<option value="Isis">Isis</option>
<option value="Other">Other (Please Specify)</option>
</select>

<input name="Other" type="text" id="Other" value="Other (Please
Specify)" size="25">

</form>

Weyoun said:
<input name="Other" type="text" id="Other" value="Other (Please
Specify)" size="25">

and another oops, that should be

<input name...... .... size="25" />

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven named michaaal:
Microsoft Access has this feature and it is very handy in certain
situations.

Microsoft Access has the feature known as a combobox.

Most other desktop application languages have this tool as well. I do
FoxPro programming, and the combobox can be made to show a list, and
optionally, allow the user to add new items.

The combobox is not the same as an HTML <select> element, and HTML is
not a programming language.

Keeper

rolf.. very nice...

btw: Brucie.. i couldn't agree more. your solution is ecactly what i came up
with. it easy, efficient, and usefull.

I wouldn't argue with him.. I have seen many of Brucies posts he is a
knowledgeable HTML author.
You ask the teacher a question... you do not ask the teacher if your answer
is right..

Later,
Keeper