Is it possible to have files on the website that are not touched when publishing?

Cal Who

I'm using vs2008 soon to have vs2010.

Sometimes I update the website by Publishing to it.

That erases all files on the website (I believe) and then copies the
complete set of files there.

Is it possible to have files on the website that are not touched?

At least, not erased.

There are website files that are updated by someone other than me that I
don't want to touch.

Thanks