    sco foxpro 2.6) file under linux. Hopefully it will be DAPI 2.0 but I'll
    accept anything at this point.

    John
    John Fabiani, Dec 28, 2004

  2. John Fabiani

    Paul Rubin Guest

    John Fabiani <> writes:
    > I'm wondering if there is a module available that will open a dbf (actually
    > sco foxpro 2.6) file under linux. Hopefully it will be DAPI 2.0 but I'll
    > accept anything at this point.

    Yes, there is, I found such a thing with a minute or so of Google
    searching when I needed one a while back. I don't have the url any
    more but I'm sure you can find it the same way I did.
    Paul Rubin, Dec 28, 2004

  3. John Fabiani

    John Fabiani Guest

    Paul Rubin wrote:

    > John Fabiani <> writes:
    >> I'm wondering if there is a module available that will open a dbf
    >> (actually
    >> sco foxpro 2.6) file under linux. Hopefully it will be DAPI 2.0 but I'll
    >> accept anything at this point.

    > Yes, there is, I found such a thing with a minute or so of Google
    > searching when I needed one a while back. I don't have the url any
    > more but I'm sure you can find it the same way I did.

    So far (more than a minute) I have discovered a reader only. So if you have
    a URL or a search string it would be very helpful.
    TIA
    John
    John Fabiani, Dec 28, 2004
  4. John Fabiani

    Miklós P Guest

    > Paul Rubin wrote:
    >
    > > John Fabiani <> writes:
    > >> I'm wondering if there is a module available that will open a dbf

    > So far (more than a minute) I have discovered a reader only. So if you

    have
    > a URL or a search string it would be very helpful.

    > TIA
    > John

    Yes, "dBase Python" yields only some code for reading dBase ... and lots of
    enquires about such a thing...

    Miklós

    ---
    Jegenye 2001 Bt.
    Egyedi szoftverkészítés, tanácsadás | Custom software development,
    consulting
    Magyarul: http://jegenye2001.parkhosting.com
    In English: http://jegenye2001.parkhosting.com/en
    Miklós P, Jan 2, 2005
  5. Miklós P wrote:
    >>Paul Rubin wrote:

    >>So far (more than a minute) I have discovered a reader only. So if you

    > have
    >
    >>a URL or a search string it would be very helpful.

    >>TIA
    >>John

    > Yes, "dBase Python" yields only some code for reading dBase ... and lots of
    > enquires about such a thing...

    I've been using
    http://www.fiby.at/dbfpy/
    without any problems including writing/modifying dbf files.

    --
    Helmut Jarausch

    Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
    RWTH - Aachen University
    D 52056 Aachen, Germany
    Helmut Jarausch, Jan 3, 2005
  6. John Fabiani

    Ed Leafe Guest

    On Jan 3, 2005, at 11:55 AM, Helmut Jarausch wrote:

    > I've been using
    > http://www.fiby.at/dbfpy/
    > without any problems including writing/modifying dbf files.

    The problem, of course, is that there is no single DBF format. The
    only product out there that still uses DBFs, Visual FoxPro, supports 3
    separate and incompatible formats: 2.x, 3.0, and later. What's more,
    the later versions introduced new data types, so even those are not
    compatible with older formats.

    Because VFP has not fallen off the face of the earth, but instead has
    continued to thrive, it has added things such as auto-increment fields
    and BLOB support that were never even envisioned by the folks at JPL
    when they created Vulcan. As a result, there is no single DBF reader
    that can read all DBF files.

    ___/
    /
    __/