Is it possible to open a new IE window using a perl command?

Paul

hi, greetings,

Can I do this using perl?

1. post some data to a specified URL using perl

2. get the response and open the new IE window to display the response
in this new IE window?

3. How to handle the cookie for this new IE window?

thanks.

paul

Matt Garrish

Paul said:
hi, greetings,

Can I do this using perl?

1. post some data to a specified URL using perl

See LWP.
2. get the response and open the new IE window to display the response
in this new IE window?

3. How to handle the cookie for this new IE window?

No. Opening windows happens on the client's side. You can post the data to
the remote server and get back a page and then print that back to the user.
You can also collect cookies in a cookie jar and probably imitate them when
you send the page back to the user.

But all this begs the question of why you aren't just posting to the
originating server in the first place? Seems like you're up to no good...

Matt

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Paul said:
Can I do this using perl?

1. post some data to a specified URL using perl

2. get the response and open the new IE window to display the response
in this new IE window?

Basically yes, but you'd better open the new browser window when making
the item 1. request.

However, there is very little about Perl in this. A more appropriate
group would be comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi. If you'd be a
first-time poster to that group, please note that you need to approve
your posting as explained in http://www.thinkspot.net/ciwac/howtopost.html

And don't forget to research the problem yourself first.

Paul

Actually it works like this:

when I post the data to the server, the server will return a random
number. I need to decide if I should open a new window based on this
random number.

thanks.

J¨¹rgen Exner

Paul wrote:
[Re: Is it possible to open a new IE window using a perl command?]
Can I do this using perl?

Trivial. You do it exactly the same way you would open any other application
from Perl, e.g. "system iexplore.exe".
1. post some data to a specified URL using perl
2. get the response and open the new IE window to display the response
in this new IE window?
3. How to handle the cookie for this new IE window?

Oh, you are talking about some odd CGI stuff? Then why don't you ask in a
newsgroup that actually deals with and cares about CGI?

jue

Eric J. Roode

Actually it works like this:

when I post the data to the server, the server will return a random
number. I need to decide if I should open a new window based on this
random number.

But perl is *running on* the server, not on the client's web browser.

--
Eric