    I am asking this because Autoit script can be used to run in any
    machine without installing autoit in that machine.(Ofcourse this is
    possible because its using the functions of Windows only.

    hara, May 26, 2006

  2. hara

    Murugesh Guest

    Re: Is it possible to run a perl script in a machine where Activeperl is not installed.

    convert the perl file into exe file using "perl2exe" tool and run

    Murugesh, May 26, 2006

  3. hara

    David Squire Guest

    hara wrote:
    > Is there any way by which i can run perl script in any machine without
    > installing active perl
    > in that machine.

    Answers:

    1. Yes - on any machine running a UNIXish OS, you would not use the
    ActivePerl distribution.
    2. If you are on a MS Windows platform you certainly need a Perl
    interpreter, but that can be bundled with your program into a single
    ..exe for distribution to machines that don't have Perl installed. See
    for example
    http://www.activestate.com/Products/Perl_Dev_Kit/more_information.plex

    DS

    David Squire, May 26, 2006
  4. hara

    John Bokma Guest

    David Squire <> wrote:

    > hara wrote:
    >> Is there any way by which i can run perl script in any machine without
    >> installing active perl
    >> in that machine.

    > Answers:
    >
    > 1. Yes - on any machine running a UNIXish OS, you would not use the
    > ActivePerl distribution.

    Wrong:
    "ActivePerl

    Free, quality-assured and ready-to-install Perl distribution for AIX, HP-
    UX, Linux, Mac OS X, Solaris, and Windows."
    <http://activestate.com/Perl.plex?hdr=1>

    Notice that Windows is the only not-UNIXish OS in that list of 5 :)
    Also, the source is available AFAIK, so compiling might be possible on
    other UNIXish OSes, especially since it has already been done for several.

    Or PAR: http://par.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

    --
    John Bokma Freelance software developer
    &

    John Bokma, May 26, 2006
  5. hara

    David Squire Guest

    John Bokma wrote:
    > David Squire <> wrote:
    >
    >> hara wrote:
    >>> Is there any way by which i can run perl script in any machine without
    >>> installing active perl
    >>> in that machine.

    >> Answers:
    >>
    >> 1. Yes - on any machine running a UNIXish OS, you would not use the
    >> ActivePerl distribution.

    > Wrong:
    > "ActivePerl
    >
    > Free, quality-assured and ready-to-install Perl distribution for AIX, HP-
    > UX, Linux, Mac OS X, Solaris, and Windows."
    > <http://activestate.com/Perl.plex?hdr=1>

    I did not say that it could not be done, only that it would not.

    Perhaps an over-generalization. I should have qualified it with
    "usually". I persoally don't know any folk using UNIXish OSs who use
    ActivePerl, since Perl is very frequently part of the base distribution,
    and if not is easily installed using RPMs, Debian packages, etc. or
    (perhaps a little less easily) from source. Still, I guess they are out
    there.

    DS

    David Squire, May 26, 2006
  6. hara

    John Bokma Guest

    David Squire <> wrote:

    > John Bokma wrote:
    >> David Squire <> wrote:

    >>> Answers:
    >>>
    >>> 1. Yes - on any machine running a UNIXish OS, you would not use the
    >>> ActivePerl distribution.

    >> Wrong:
    >> "ActivePerl
    >>
    >> Free, quality-assured and ready-to-install Perl distribution for AIX,
    >> HP- UX, Linux, Mac OS X, Solaris, and Windows."
    >> <http://activestate.com/Perl.plex?hdr=1>

    > I did not say that it could not be done, only that it would not.

    No, no, no; no excuses now :-D

    > Perhaps an over-generalization. I should have qualified it with
    > "usually".

    So you think ActiveState just makes 5 additional versions just for fun?

    > I persoally don't know any folk using UNIXish OSs who use
    > ActivePerl, since Perl is very frequently part of the base
    > distribution,

    Sometimes those versions are outdated. I recall I had to install Perl on
    IRIX, since the version that came with it was quite outdated.

    > and if not is easily installed using RPMs, Debian
    > packages, etc. or (perhaps a little less easily) from source. Still, I
    > guess they are out there.

    I am sure they are :-D.

    John Bokma, May 26, 2006
  7. hara

    Peter Scott Guest

    On Fri, 26 May 2006 17:47:35 +0100, David Squire wrote:
    > John Bokma wrote:
    >> David Squire <> wrote:
    >>> 1. Yes - on any machine running a UNIXish OS, you would not use the
    >>> ActivePerl distribution.

    >> Wrong:
    >> "ActivePerl

    > I did not say that it could not be done, only that it would not.
    >
    > Perhaps an over-generalization. I should have qualified it with
    > "usually". I personally don't know any folk using UNIXish OSs who use
    > ActivePerl,

    I once had to deal with a crippled hosting service running an outdated
    perl and no C compiler. ActiveState Perl for Linux saved the day.

    --
    Peter Scott
    http://www.perlmedic.com/

    Peter Scott, May 27, 2006