Is it possible to use MS IE with Sun's JVM?

Jim Cochrane

(This question would probably fit into the other related discussion
currently going on here, but I currently don't have access to that thread
in my newsreader.)

I have a potential product that uses a Swing-based applet. I believe
this will not cause problems for users of Netscape, Mozilla, Opera, etc.
(whether on Windows or UNIX or ...), but I'm 99% sure it will for
Windows IE users.

Thus my question: Is it possible to install a Sun 1.4 JRE and setup
a modern Windows system (XP or W2000, etc.) so that Internet Explorer
uses that JRE, allowing it to run a Swing-based applet?

Thanks!

Tony Morris

Thus my question: Is it possible to install a Sun 1.4 JRE and setup
a modern Windows system (XP or W2000, etc.) so that Internet Explorer
uses that JRE, allowing it to run a Swing-based applet?

Sure.
During installation of the JRE, you specify that you want the plug-in
installed with IE.
You also want to use the <object> HTML tag, rather than the deprecated
<applet> HTML tag.

Jim Cochrane

Sure.
During installation of the JRE, you specify that you want the plug-in
installed with IE.

Thanks - that's good news.
You also want to use the <object> HTML tag, rather than the deprecated
<applet> HTML tag.

Thanks very much! I'm very often impressed with how knowledgeable and
helpful people can be on usenet.