Is it possible to write Doom 3 in Java ???

Discussion in 'Java' started by Gerard Mindstep, Dec 15, 2005.

  1. Is Java good enough for brutal first person shooters or do you
    recommend Assembler language for that purpose ???

    Gerard Mindstep, Dec 15, 2005

  2. Gerard Mindstep

    megagurka Guest

    Gerard Mindstep wrote:
    > Is Java good enough for brutal first person shooters or do you
    > recommend Assembler language for that purpose ???

    I think you need assembler for "brutal first person shooters", Java is
    only works for "first person shooters".

    /JN

    megagurka, Dec 15, 2005

  3. Gerard Mindstep

    HalcyonWild Guest

    Gerard Mindstep wrote:

    > Is Java good enough for brutal first person shooters or do you
    > recommend Assembler language for that purpose ???

    Not yet. Go for DirectX api or OpenGL using C.

    HalcyonWild, Dec 15, 2005
  4. Gerard Mindstep

    Guest

    >> Is Java good enough for brutal first person shooters or do you
    >> recommend Assembler language for that purpose ???

    Check out 'Java Is Doomed', a 3D engine
    written in java using jogl for OpenGL bindings.

    http://javaisdoomed.sourceforge.net/

    , Dec 15, 2005
  5. Gerard Mindstep wrote:
    > Is Java good enough for brutal first person shooters or do you
    > recommend Assembler language for that purpose ???

    The Quake 2 engine has recently been ported to Java
    (http://www.bytonic.de/html/jake2.html). Other 3D shooters for Java
    exist, too (Google is your friend).

    The question is what do you want to do? Do you want to write a game
    engine in Java? This is apparently possible, but it is a task for an
    experienced developer. Or do you want to develop a complete game? Then
    using an existing engine instead of building your own from scratch might
    be a very good idea. That way you could concentrate on building your levels.

    /Thomas
    --
    The comp.lang.java.gui FAQ:

    Thomas Weidenfeller, Dec 15, 2005
  6. Thomas Weidenfeller wrote:

    > The question is what do you want to do? Do you want to write a game
    > engine in Java? This is apparently possible, but it is a task for an
    > experienced developer. Or do you want to develop a complete game? Then
    > using an existing engine instead of building your own from scratch might
    > be a very good idea. That way you could concentrate on building your
    > levels.

    What he wants is to be a troll, and fill is.vedur with postings.

    Andrea Desole, Dec 15, 2005
  7. Thomas Weidenfeller, Dec 15, 2005
  8. Thomas Weidenfeller wrote:

    > Well, you might have recognized that I had removed is.vedur already from
    > my first reply (unlike the other responders). So please direct your
    > anger at someone else.

    no anger at all. Why should I be angry? And I did see you removed
    is.vedur, and I thought it might have been uninentional, otherwise you
    wouldn't have answered, or you would have answered differently.
    I also saw some other people answering. I just wanted to point out that
    the guy is a troll

    Andrea Desole, Dec 15, 2005