Is it safe to replace dll's in bin while running transactions ?

PL

Is it safe to replace dll's in bin while there are running transactions or
is it considered bad practice to replace dll's in the /bin folder while the
server is running ?

I never really thought about it until now but recently we experienced
strange entries in our database that we have no explanation for, it almost
looks like some database transactions weren't aborted properly.

Is it better practice to shutdown the database and webservices before
replacing dll's in teh bin directory ?

I would appreciate any input on this as we update things frequently and
shutting down services would be a problem for us.

PL.

Juan T. Llibre

In theory, you shouldn't have any problems.

All existing calls to methods in your current dlls should be
handled from memory, in the current thread(s).

All new calls to the dll which replaces your current dll will run in new thread(s).

In practice, though, it's far safer to do as you say :
shutdown the database and webservices before replacing dll's in the bin directory

I usually like to err on the side of caution.

:)