Is it time to install IE8?

Adrienne Boswell

I am trying to decide if I should install IE8. AFAIK, there is no stand
alone version, as there was for IE7, and I don't like the idea of losing
IE7 to test with. I already have the multiple IEs, which includes 3-6, so
that is not an issue, AFAIK.

I am beginning to see IE7 compatible meta information, so I wondering if it
is time for me to start testing with IE8.

I use Opera as default, test in FF, Safari, Chrome and IE.

Any thoughts? TIA.

Harlan Messinger

Adrienne said:
I am trying to decide if I should install IE8. AFAIK, there is no stand
alone version, as there was for IE7, and I don't like the idea of losing
IE7 to test with. I already have the multiple IEs, which includes 3-6, so
that is not an issue, AFAIK.

I am beginning to see IE7 compatible meta information, so I wondering if it
is time for me to start testing with IE8.

I use Opera as default, test in FF, Safari, Chrome and IE.

Any thoughts? TIA.
One option if you're so inclined and have the memory and disk space to
support it is to install a virtual machine using Microsoft Virtual PC,
and install IE8 into it.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...22-6eb8-4a09-a7f7-f6c7a1f000b5&displaylang=en

Neredbojias

I am trying to decide if I should install IE8. AFAIK, there is no
stand alone version, as there was for IE7, and I don't like the idea
of losing IE7 to test with. I already have the multiple IEs, which
includes 3-6, so that is not an issue, AFAIK.

I am beginning to see IE7 compatible meta information, so I wondering
if it is time for me to start testing with IE8.

I use Opera as default, test in FF, Safari, Chrome and IE.

Any thoughts? TIA.

I'd say yes, do it. There are some improvements and if you wanna test
ie7-wise, you can temporarily insert the meta line:

into your page. There are still _some_ faux pas in IE8 but it looks
like they're finally really trying, at least.

Andrew Poulos

Nik said:
Last time I used it Virtual PC was hideously slow, we use VMWare
Workstation here. There is a free version available, VMWare Player.

I'm using Virtual PC on Windows Vista and it works just fine.

When I first installed VMWare it let me complete the installation before
it told me it was incompatible with Vista. I had to format my drive to
get all of VMWare off.

I've found that IE 8 buggers up (at least some) pages that uses UTF-8
with languages that use ideograms.

Andrew Poulos

Nik Coughlin

Andrew Poulos said:
I'm using Virtual PC on Windows Vista and it works just fine.

When I first installed VMWare it let me complete the installation before
it told me it was incompatible with Vista. I had to format my drive to get
all of VMWare off.

Vista's been fully supported since at least 2006 :) To be fair though,
that's probably how long it's been since I've tried Virtual PC
I've found that IE 8 buggers up (at least some) pages that uses UTF-8 with
languages that use ideograms.

Why doesn't that suprise me

BootNic

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 15:46:34 GMT
I am trying to decide if I should install IE8. AFAIK, there is no
stand alone version, as there was for IE7, and I don't like the
idea of losing IE7 to test with. I already have the multiple IEs,
which includes 3-6, so that is not an issue, AFAIK.

I am beginning to see IE7 compatible meta information, so I
wondering if it is time for me to start testing with IE8.

I use Opera as default, test in FF, Safari, Chrome and IE.

Any thoughts?

Have you checked to see if you have any software that would not be
compatible with IE 8?

I am not going to install IE 8 on any of my main systems for a
while, Microsoft Virtual PC will do just fine for testing for the
moment.

--
BootNic Mon Apr 13, 2009 08:51 pm
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he isn't. A

cwdjrxyz

I am trying to decide if I should install IE8.  AFAIK, there is no stand
alone version, as there was for IE7, and I don't like the idea of losing
IE7 to test with.  I already have the multiple IEs, which includes 3-6, so
that is not an issue, AFAIK.

I am beginning to see IE7 compatible meta information, so I wondering if it
is time for me to start testing with IE8.

I use Opera as default, test in FF, Safari, Chrome and IE.

Any thoughts?  TIA.

IE8 is not yet being pushed by the XP update page. When IE7 came out,
the XP update page soon became rather pushy in trying to get you to
update to it. However some ISP home pages are offering it - for
example MSN which is owned by Microsoft. I would say for those writing
programs, you will at least need to be able to view your pages as seen
on IE8 when the XP and Vista update pages start pushing downloads of
IE8. The average web viewer who does not write web pages might be able
to get by with IE7 for quite a while longer.

I have been installing a new computer for the last week. With a new OS
on it and many other changes, I am in no hurry to try out IE8 on it
yet, but I intend to keep the old computer. Thus I could end up with
IE8 on the new computer and leave IE7 on the old computer a few months
from now. I have the two computers, a Blu-ray player, and a HD TV
connected to the network. Computers are trying to be TVs and TVs are
trying to be computers these days.
I have added a Blu-ray optical drive to the new computer, because I
needed much faster response and much more memory to process Blu-ray
video or data files in a reasonable time. A Blu-ray DL disc can hold
up to about 50 GB. I am using an Intel Core i7 processor and 6GB of
DDR3 SDRAM memory, since this combination often will allow processing
up to 6 threads at once without much slowdown The memory can be
increased up to 24 GB should the need arise. I am using dual 1 TB HDs
in a Raid 1 configuration so that you do not lose data if one HD
fails.

+mrcakey

Adrienne Boswell said:
I am trying to decide if I should install IE8. AFAIK, there is no stand
alone version, as there was for IE7, and I don't like the idea of losing
IE7 to test with. I already have the multiple IEs, which includes 3-6, so
that is not an issue, AFAIK.

I am beginning to see IE7 compatible meta information, so I wondering if
it
is time for me to start testing with IE8.

I use Opera as default, test in FF, Safari, Chrome and IE.

Any thoughts? TIA.

I've got IE6 on one PC and IE8 on another, but this -
http://blogs.msdn.com/xweb/archive/...perPreview-for-Windows-Internet-Explorer.aspx -
might persuade me to get IE8 on both. Of course, they'll discover some
gigantic hole in it they forgot to patch in a couple of months, but if we're
using it just for testing I don't suppose it's a great issue.

Adrienne Boswell

How about some stats on browser versions that hit your site? Are you
worrying about a real problem or a perceived one?

Stats can be so skewed. For example, on one site which is ranking very
well in search.live.com, I am seeing about 77% IE6 and 22% IE7 with one
IE5 stagler.

On another site, that is doing very well in Google, I'm seeing 48% IE,
39% FF, with IE7 leading by 50%.

I'm not worrying about a real problem, I just like to test. When I test
a page, I test first in Opera (default browser), then Firefox, then IE
(IE Tab in FF), then Safari, then Chrome.
My take (based on readings and my site stats? Not an issue. IE6
still leads IE7 by several percentage points. IE8 is non-existant.
However, I don't know if my Hosting company has yet adjusted their
software to even detect IE 8. Still, seems like hardly an issue.

I try to write my HTML and sites to adhere the W3C standards. Let MS
(and others) figure out if they want their browsers to comply or not.

I also write to standards, almost everything I do is generated by script,
and it just kills me to hear some developer say that they can't adhere to
standards because "the script did it". Good God! It's like saying "the
dog ate my homework"!
Absent that? Well, if, in the wild I find out that "things" are
happening that I need to account for, I will try to handle that.

It's a moving target but there are only so many targets I can aim at.

That is surely the truth, although, I must say I am getting spoiled with
Opera 10 - it's so nice and quick, passes acid3 99%, understands
@fontface, and a wee bit of HTML5.

I think I'm going to install IE8 and my machine, and keep IE7 on my son's
machine. If I need to test in IE7, I'll just fire up his machine (if I
can get him away from http://starfall.com, that is :))