    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
    Adrienne Boswell, Apr 13, 2009

  2. Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    > I am trying to decide if I should install IE8. AFAIK, there is no stand
    > alone version, as there was for IE7, and I don't like the idea of losing
    > IE7 to test with. I already have the multiple IEs, which includes 3-6, so
    > that is not an issue, AFAIK.
    >
    > I am beginning to see IE7 compatible meta information, so I wondering if it
    > is time for me to start testing with IE8.
    >
    > I use Opera as default, test in FF, Safari, Chrome and IE.
    >
    > Any thoughts? TIA.

    One option if you're so inclined and have the memory and disk space to
    support it is to install a virtual machine using Microsoft Virtual PC,
    and install IE8 into it.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...22-6eb8-4a09-a7f7-f6c7a1f000b5&displaylang=en
    Harlan Messinger, Apr 13, 2009

  3. Adrienne Boswell

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 13 Apr 2009, Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:

    > I am trying to decide if I should install IE8. AFAIK, there is no
    > stand alone version, as there was for IE7, and I don't like the idea
    > of losing IE7 to test with. I already have the multiple IEs, which
    > includes 3-6, so that is not an issue, AFAIK.
    >
    > I am beginning to see IE7 compatible meta information, so I wondering
    > if it is time for me to start testing with IE8.
    >
    > I use Opera as default, test in FF, Safari, Chrome and IE.
    >
    > Any thoughts? TIA.

    I'd say yes, do it. There are some improvements and if you wanna test
    ie7-wise, you can temporarily insert the meta line:

    into your page. There are still _some_ faux pas in IE8 but it looks
    like they're finally really trying, at least.

    --
    Neredbojias
    People who live in glass houses must feel funny peeing.
    Neredbojias, Apr 13, 2009
  4. Adrienne Boswell

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "Harlan Messinger" <> wrote in message
    > Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    >> I am trying to decide if I should install IE8. AFAIK, there is no stand
    >> alone version, as there was for IE7, and I don't like the idea of losing
    >> IE7 to test with. I already have the multiple IEs, which includes 3-6,
    >> so that is not an issue, AFAIK.
    >>
    >> I am beginning to see IE7 compatible meta information, so I wondering if
    >> it is time for me to start testing with IE8.
    >>
    >> I use Opera as default, test in FF, Safari, Chrome and IE.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts? TIA.
    >>

    > One option if you're so inclined and have the memory and disk space to
    > support it is to install a virtual machine using Microsoft Virtual PC, and
    > install IE8 into it.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...22-6eb8-4a09-a7f7-f6c7a1f000b5&displaylang=en

    Last time I used it Virtual PC was hideously slow, we use VMWare Workstation
    here. There is a free version available, VMWare Player.
    Nik Coughlin, Apr 13, 2009
  5. Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > "Harlan Messinger" <> wrote in message
    >> Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    >>> I am trying to decide if I should install IE8. AFAIK, there is no
    >>> stand alone version, as there was for IE7, and I don't like the idea
    >>> of losing IE7 to test with. I already have the multiple IEs, which
    >>> includes 3-6, so that is not an issue, AFAIK.
    >>>
    >>> I am beginning to see IE7 compatible meta information, so I wondering
    >>> if it is time for me to start testing with IE8.
    >>>
    >>> I use Opera as default, test in FF, Safari, Chrome and IE.
    >>>
    >>> Any thoughts? TIA.
    >>>

    >> One option if you're so inclined and have the memory and disk space to
    >> support it is to install a virtual machine using Microsoft Virtual PC,
    >> and install IE8 into it.
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...22-6eb8-4a09-a7f7-f6c7a1f000b5&displaylang=en
    >>

    > Last time I used it Virtual PC was hideously slow, we use VMWare
    > Workstation here. There is a free version available, VMWare Player.

    I'm using Virtual PC on Windows Vista and it works just fine.

    When I first installed VMWare it let me complete the installation before
    it told me it was incompatible with Vista. I had to format my drive to
    get all of VMWare off.

    I've found that IE 8 buggers up (at least some) pages that uses UTF-8
    with languages that use ideograms.

    Andrew Poulos
    Andrew Poulos, Apr 13, 2009
  6. Adrienne Boswell

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "Andrew Poulos" <> wrote in message
    > Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >> "Harlan Messinger" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> One option if you're so inclined and have the memory and disk space to
    >>> support it is to install a virtual machine using Microsoft Virtual PC,
    >>> and install IE8 into it.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...22-6eb8-4a09-a7f7-f6c7a1f000b5&displaylang=en

    >> Last time I used it Virtual PC was hideously slow, we use VMWare
    >> Workstation here. There is a free version available, VMWare Player.

    > I'm using Virtual PC on Windows Vista and it works just fine.
    >
    > When I first installed VMWare it let me complete the installation before
    > it told me it was incompatible with Vista. I had to format my drive to get
    > all of VMWare off.

    Vista's been fully supported since at least 2006 :) To be fair though,
    that's probably how long it's been since I've tried Virtual PC

    > I've found that IE 8 buggers up (at least some) pages that uses UTF-8 with
    > languages that use ideograms.

    Why doesn't that suprise me
    Nik Coughlin, Apr 14, 2009
  7. Adrienne Boswell

    BootNic Guest

    On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 15:46:34 GMT
    Adrienne Boswell <> wrote in:
    <Xns9BEC5946FF280arbpenyahoocom@207.115.33.102>

    > I am trying to decide if I should install IE8. AFAIK, there is no
    > stand alone version, as there was for IE7, and I don't like the
    > idea of losing IE7 to test with. I already have the multiple IEs,
    > which includes 3-6, so that is not an issue, AFAIK.
    >
    > I am beginning to see IE7 compatible meta information, so I
    > wondering if it is time for me to start testing with IE8.
    >
    > I use Opera as default, test in FF, Safari, Chrome and IE.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    Have you checked to see if you have any software that would not be
    compatible with IE 8?

    I am not going to install IE 8 on any of my main systems for a
    while, Microsoft Virtual PC will do just fine for testing for the
    moment.

    --
    BootNic Mon Apr 13, 2009 08:51 pm
    Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he isn't. A

    BootNic, Apr 14, 2009
  8. Adrienne Boswell

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Apr 13, 10:46 am, Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:
    > I am trying to decide if I should install IE8.  AFAIK, there is no stand
    > alone version, as there was for IE7, and I don't like the idea of losing
    > IE7 to test with.  I already have the multiple IEs, which includes 3-6, so
    > that is not an issue, AFAIK.
    >
    > I am beginning to see IE7 compatible meta information, so I wondering if it
    > is time for me to start testing with IE8.
    >
    > I use Opera as default, test in FF, Safari, Chrome and IE.
    >
    > Any thoughts?  TIA.

    IE8 is not yet being pushed by the XP update page. When IE7 came out,
    the XP update page soon became rather pushy in trying to get you to
    update to it. However some ISP home pages are offering it - for
    example MSN which is owned by Microsoft. I would say for those writing
    programs, you will at least need to be able to view your pages as seen
    on IE8 when the XP and Vista update pages start pushing downloads of
    IE8. The average web viewer who does not write web pages might be able
    to get by with IE7 for quite a while longer.

    I have been installing a new computer for the last week. With a new OS
    on it and many other changes, I am in no hurry to try out IE8 on it
    yet, but I intend to keep the old computer. Thus I could end up with
    IE8 on the new computer and leave IE7 on the old computer a few months
    from now. I have the two computers, a Blu-ray player, and a HD TV
    connected to the network. Computers are trying to be TVs and TVs are
    trying to be computers these days.
    I have added a Blu-ray optical drive to the new computer, because I
    needed much faster response and much more memory to process Blu-ray
    video or data files in a reasonable time. A Blu-ray DL disc can hold
    up to about 50 GB. I am using an Intel Core i7 processor and 6GB of
    DDR3 SDRAM memory, since this combination often will allow processing
    up to 6 threads at once without much slowdown The memory can be
    increased up to 24 GB should the need arise. I am using dual 1 TB HDs
    in a Raid 1 configuration so that you do not lose data if one HD
    fails.
    cwdjrxyz, Apr 14, 2009
  9. Adrienne Boswell

    +mrcakey Guest

    "Adrienne Boswell" <> wrote in message
    >I am trying to decide if I should install IE8. AFAIK, there is no stand
    > alone version, as there was for IE7, and I don't like the idea of losing
    > IE7 to test with. I already have the multiple IEs, which includes 3-6, so
    > that is not an issue, AFAIK.
    >
    > I am beginning to see IE7 compatible meta information, so I wondering if
    > it
    > is time for me to start testing with IE8.
    >
    > I use Opera as default, test in FF, Safari, Chrome and IE.
    >
    > Any thoughts? TIA.

    I've got IE6 on one PC and IE8 on another, but this -
    http://blogs.msdn.com/xweb/archive/...perPreview-for-Windows-Internet-Explorer.aspx -
    might persuade me to get IE8 on both. Of course, they'll discover some
    gigantic hole in it they forgot to patch in a couple of months, but if we're
    using it just for testing I don't suppose it's a great issue.

    --
    +mrcakey
    www.dreambery.co.uk
    +mrcakey, Apr 14, 2009
  10. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Ed Mullen <>
    writing in news::

    > Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    >> I am trying to decide if I should install IE8. AFAIK, there is no
    >> stand alone version, as there was for IE7, and I don't like the idea
    >> of losing IE7 to test with. I already have the multiple IEs, which
    >> includes 3-6, so that is not an issue, AFAIK.
    >>
    >> I am beginning to see IE7 compatible meta information, so I wondering
    >> if it is time for me to start testing with IE8.
    >>
    >> I use Opera as default, test in FF, Safari, Chrome and IE.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts? TIA.
    >>

    > How about some stats on browser versions that hit your site? Are you
    > worrying about a real problem or a perceived one?

    Stats can be so skewed. For example, on one site which is ranking very
    well in search.live.com, I am seeing about 77% IE6 and 22% IE7 with one
    IE5 stagler.

    On another site, that is doing very well in Google, I'm seeing 48% IE,
    39% FF, with IE7 leading by 50%.

    I'm not worrying about a real problem, I just like to test. When I test
    a page, I test first in Opera (default browser), then Firefox, then IE
    (IE Tab in FF), then Safari, then Chrome.

    > My take (based on readings and my site stats? Not an issue. IE6
    > still leads IE7 by several percentage points. IE8 is non-existant.
    > However, I don't know if my Hosting company has yet adjusted their
    > software to even detect IE 8. Still, seems like hardly an issue.
    >
    > I try to write my HTML and sites to adhere the W3C standards. Let MS
    > (and others) figure out if they want their browsers to comply or not.

    I also write to standards, almost everything I do is generated by script,
    and it just kills me to hear some developer say that they can't adhere to
    standards because "the script did it". Good God! It's like saying "the
    dog ate my homework"!

    > Absent that? Well, if, in the wild I find out that "things" are
    > happening that I need to account for, I will try to handle that.
    >
    > It's a moving target but there are only so many targets I can aim at.

    That is surely the truth, although, I must say I am getting spoiled with
    Opera 10 - it's so nice and quick, passes acid3 99%, understands
    @fontface, and a wee bit of HTML5.

    I think I'm going to install IE8 and my machine, and keep IE7 on my son's
    machine. If I need to test in IE7, I'll just fire up his machine (if I
    can get him away from http://starfall.com, that is :))

    Adrienne Boswell, Apr 15, 2009