    Is it worth learning vb.net? I know this is an extremely personal questions
    with many answers and opinions. I would like both sides of the story,
    objectively if possible. Thanks.

    Russ McKenna, Nov 12, 2003

  2. Russ McKenna

    Eric Cadwell Guest

    To be honest I don't know if I would port an existing project over unless
    you are doing a significant amount of new coding or a large rewrite of
    current code.

    > Is it worth learning vb.net?

    If you plan on being employed 5 years from now you'd better learn it. It's a
    huge step forward. Pick a small personal project and learn that way. Porting
    a production application as your first project would be a mistake.

    HTH;
    Eric Cadwell
    http://www.origincontrols.com

    Eric Cadwell, Nov 12, 2003

  3. Russ McKenna

    Russ McKenna Guest

    Do you think VBA will move toward .Net in the future?

    Russ McKenna, Nov 12, 2003
  4. Russ McKenna

    Eric Cadwell Guest

    Have you looked into VSA? I thought it was the replacement for VBA.

    I'm not sure it's even survived as I haven't heard anything about it in a
    while.

    -Eric

    Eric Cadwell, Nov 12, 2003
  5. You do not have to rewrite existing applications.
    Your existing apps continue to work. And with the proper architecture, your
    existing VB6 code can use new code, or can be used by new code.

    It is possible to connect VB6/C++ code to .NET in multiple ways. One of the
    most common is via COM-based interop. VB.NET code can invoke COM
    components. VB.NET code can expose itself as a COM component.

    Of course if you want to run an app "fully managed", then yes, you will have
    to migrate code. There's a wizard that helps, but it is not 100%.

    Dino Chiesa [Microsoft], Nov 13, 2003
  6. Russ McKenna

    Angus Lepper Guest

    I'd say that .NET is worth it if you don't intend to be on the dole or in
    another sector in the next few years. I'd leave your VB6 apps until you want
    new functionality, then rewrite them. No program is perfect, you could do a
    new, more efficient version.

    Angus

    Angus Lepper, Dec 6, 2003