Is JAI worth learning?

Daniel Pitts

I was considering getting JAI and learning how to use it, but it looks
like it hasn't been actively maintained in quite a while.

Is there an alternative to the functionalities that JAI provides that is
more active?

Thanks,
Daniel.

Knute Johnson

Sabine said:
I just looked at the mailing list archives if CVS activity at
<https://jai.dev.java.net/>, and it seems active enough.

Maybe it's quite stable now and doesn't need a lot of new releases.

Daniel:

Sorry I didn't respond sooner to your question. As Sabine says, the
email list is very active and there are a lot of folks using JAI. I'm
not that familiar with its use but it is a very powerful API. I used to
use the list to get general info on imaging as the subscribers were very
knowledgeable. If you plan to do a lot of sophisticated image
manipulation, JAI may be just the tool for you. I used it a little
because it allows more image formats to be loaded than without it.

Andrew Thompson

..If you plan to do a lot of sophisticated image
manipulation, JAI may be just the tool for you.

I have used it quite successfully from Ant - using the
inbuilt tasks to resize 100s if images for distribution.
.. I used it a little
because it allows more image formats to be loaded than without it.

Quite handy at times.