Is Java capable of displaying nice documents?

Ramon

I have written a simple application to display TIFF files which are
600dpi scanned images of typical 8 1/2 x 11" documents. Additionally,
I had 2 other programmers write their own implementations of the above.

The 3 programs have something in common: they all suck. The look of
the documents is simply unacceptable.

How come if I simply double click on those TIFF files, the Microsoft
Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, after a few seconds of processing
displays them in such a nice and readable way? I can also open them
with applications such as Adobe Acrobat and they look very good.

But when the Java JAI library is used, the documents look terrible.

Is this an underlying shortcoming of JAI?

TIA,

-Ramon F Herrera

Ramon F Herrera

This was an obvious case of posting in the wrong newsgroup.
Java has really nothing to do with the questions that I submitted.

However, for those interested, this posting has generated quite an
interesting thread in comp.gaphics.algorithms:

"How to make resized text look good?"

Thanks anyway...

-Ramon