    if yes which part of the java should I read ?
    Please help.

    ---Kumar
    Kumar, Mar 15, 2007

  2. Kumar

    Ian Wilson Guest

    Kumar wrote:

    Subject: is java powerful enough?

    Yes it is, a better question might be: is Java too powerful?

    > Hello I am new to java and learning it.
    > I want to delvelop one application which will take one text file as
    > input and will show the certain parts of the text file based on the
    > condtion. I want to replace the particular part in the text file with
    > some other part on different conditions.

    Unless doing this as a learning exercise, I'd use sed, awk or Perl.

    > Can I do lot of text processing in java?

    You can do text processing in assembler, Fortran or Ook. Perhaps what
    you mean is: does the Java language (specifically the J2SE platform)
    include specific features which are oriented towards text-processing tasks.

    Java has methods and classes for reading and writing text files in many
    common encodings (e.g. UTF-8), for processing input streams a line at a
    time and for applying regular expressions for selecting and replacing text.

    > if yes which part of the java should I read ?

    Sun's Java tutorials at their website. (Google for "Java tutorial").
    Ian Wilson, Mar 15, 2007

  3. Kumar

    Oliver Wong Guest

    "Kumar" <> wrote in message
    > Hello I am new to java and learning it.
    > I want to delvelop one application which will take one text file as
    > input and will show the certain parts of the text file based on the
    > condtion. I want to replace the particular part in the text file with
    > some other part on different conditions.
    > Can I do lot of text processing in java?

    Yes.

    > if yes which part of the java should I read ?
    > Please help.

    Probably regular expressions and IO. If you want to make add a GUI,
    you'll also want to read about Swing.

    - Oliver
    Oliver Wong, Mar 15, 2007
  4. Kumar wrote:
    > Hello I am new to java and learning it.
    > I want to delvelop one application which will take one text file as
    > input and will show the certain parts of the text file based on the
    > condtion. I want to replace the particular part in the text file with
    > some other part on different conditions.
    > Can I do lot of text processing in java?
    > if yes which part of the java should I read ?

    I would consider Java a good choice (maybe not the best
    but good).

    You just need basic Java stuff: the language plus java.lang, java.io
    and maybe java.util classes.

    Arne
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=, Mar 15, 2007