    Thanks
    -Ed
    , Apr 24, 2007

  2. wrote:
    >I want to write a simple app such as a Task Manager in Windows... much
    >like Outlook's Task Manager but with different features. Is Java the
    >right language to learn to do this?

    I doubt it. Java is geared to cross-platform applications,
    and usually relies on OS specific (C++/.NET) hooks to
    do this sort of stuff. Might as well just code it in C++
    or .NET to start with.

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

    Andrew Thompson, Apr 24, 2007

  3. Daniel Dyer Guest

    On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 14:52:42 +0100, Andrew Thompson <u32984@uwe> wrote:

    > wrote:
    > ..
    >> I want to write a simple app such as a Task Manager in Windows... much
    >> like Outlook's Task Manager but with different features. Is Java the
    >> right language to learn to do this?

    > I doubt it. Java is geared to cross-platform applications,
    > and usually relies on OS specific (C++/.NET) hooks to
    > do this sort of stuff. Might as well just code it in C++
    > or .NET to start with.

    I think the OP means more of a "TO DO" list kind of application rather
    than a process viewer (at least that's what I'm assuming from the mention
    of Outlook).

    To the OP, Java is a good choice if you want to run on Linux and Mac with
    very little extra effort. If you only want to run on Windows then there's
    not any real advantage in using Java over the alternatives.

    Dan.

    --
    Daniel Dyer
    http://www.uncommons.org
    Daniel Dyer, Apr 24, 2007
  4. * Andrew Thompson:
    > wrote:
    > ..
    >> I want to write a simple app such as a Task Manager in Windows... much
    >> like Outlook's Task Manager but with different features. Is Java the
    >> right language to learn to do this?

    > I doubt it. Java is geared to cross-platform applications,
    > and usually relies on OS specific (C++/.NET) hooks to
    > do this sort of stuff.

    I /think/ you misinterpreted the OP's usage of "task manager". Think
    "todo list".

    Of course this is possible with Java, but I am not sure whether it is
    the right language for a beginner. Scripting languages like Python or
    Ruby might be a little bit easier to learn and provide results more
    quickly which is important to keep up motivation.

    If you are planning to become a professional programmer, Java is
    probably a good language to learn since demand is quite high. But for
    many people writing in Java is not as much fun as writing in other
    languages. But that is a highly subjective matter so in my opinion you
    should just try something and see how far you get. Learning different
    programming languages is a good thing anyway, even if you end up as a
    Java monkey. :)

    J.
    --
    If I could travel in time I would show my minidisc to the Romans and
    become Caesar until the batteries ran out.
    Jochen Schulz, Apr 24, 2007
  5. jon Guest

    On Apr 23, 11:51 pm, wrote:
    > Sorry for this stupid question... i don't know Java but am a fast
    > learner.
    > I want to write a simple app such as a Task Manager in Windows... much
    > like Outlook's Task Manager but with different features.

    "Simple app" such as Task Manager? <sigh>. You sound like my
    supervisor. ("Oh, and we need it by this afternoon, about 1:00 or
    1:30, for an important demonstration. It will by your fault if we
    can't have this up and running.")

    > Is Java the
    > right language to learn to do this? I do not want to make the app
    > dependant on a web browser but would like to make is a stand-alone
    > app.
    >
    > Thanks
    > -Ed

    No, you'll want a language that can more readily access the Windows
    APIs. I'd use MS Visual C, but nowadays most MSians would suggest
    C#. You'll want a few days to get up to speed with the language....
    jon, Apr 24, 2007
  6. wrote:
    > Sorry for this stupid question... i don't know Java but am a fast
    > learner.
    > I want to write a simple app such as a Task Manager in Windows... much
    > like Outlook's Task Manager but with different features. Is Java the
    > right language to learn to do this? I do not want to make the app
    > dependant on a web browser but would like to make is a stand-alone
    > app.

    I think you are getting mixed answers because of an ambiguity in your
    question.

    The Windows "Task Manager" is a specific program that displays system
    information, such as the process list.

    On the other hand, the term "task manager" can just refer to a to-do and
    calendar program.

    They are very different things. Which do you mean?

    Patricia
    Patricia Shanahan, Apr 24, 2007
  7. blueice Guest

    I think Visual C++ would be a lot more appropriate to write Windows
    tools. You don't necessarily need Visual Studio to do anything like
    that (meaning, you can do it all in Notepad) but it would be of great
    help. You're going to be accessing lots of system data and I'm sure
    visual studio has plenty tools/APIs to make this easy for you. plus,
    it's native to the Windows environment, Java isn't.

    blueice, Apr 24, 2007
  8. zero Guest

    "Daniel Dyer" <"You don't need it"> wrote in

    > On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 14:52:42 +0100, Andrew Thompson <u32984@uwe>
    > wrote:
    >
    > To the OP, Java is a good choice if you want to run on Linux and Mac
    > with very little extra effort. If you only want to run on Windows
    > then there's not any real advantage in using Java over the
    > alternatives.
    >
    > Dan.

    What about ease of use? C++ was suggested by a lot of posters, but it is a
    lot harder to learn than Java.
    Then again if the dificulty level is a factor, there are other languages
    easier than Java.

    Zero
    zero, Apr 24, 2007
  9. Scooby Guest

    "zero" <> wrote in message
    > "Daniel Dyer" <"You don't need it"> wrote in
    >
    >> On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 14:52:42 +0100, Andrew Thompson <u32984@uwe>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> To the OP, Java is a good choice if you want to run on Linux and Mac
    >> with very little extra effort. If you only want to run on Windows
    >> then there's not any real advantage in using Java over the
    >> alternatives.
    >>
    >> Dan.
    >>

    > What about ease of use? C++ was suggested by a lot of posters, but it is
    > lot harder to learn than Java.
    > Then again if the dificulty level is a factor, there are other languages
    > easier than Java.
    >
    > Zero

    Well, I personally don't think C++ would be the right option for the OP.
    But, C# is very much like Java, from a syntax perspective and is probably
    the best solution in this case.
    Scooby, Apr 24, 2007
  10. Daniel Dyer Guest

    On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 19:44:20 +0100, zero <> wrote:

    > "Daniel Dyer" <"You don't need it"> wrote in
    >
    >> On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 14:52:42 +0100, Andrew Thompson <u32984@uwe>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> To the OP, Java is a good choice if you want to run on Linux and Mac
    >> with very little extra effort. If you only want to run on Windows
    >> then there's not any real advantage in using Java over the
    >> alternatives.
    >>
    >> Dan.
    >>

    > What about ease of use? C++ was suggested by a lot of posters, but it
    > is a
    > lot harder to learn than Java.
    > Then again if the dificulty level is a factor, there are other languages
    > easier than Java.

    Yes, you're right. I was thinking primarily of the main .Net languages
    (C# and VB.net).

    Dan.

    --
    Daniel Dyer
    https://watchmaker.dev.java.net - Evolutionary Algorithm Framework for Java
    Daniel Dyer, Apr 24, 2007
  11. Daniel Pitts Guest

    On Apr 23, 10:51 pm, wrote:
    > Sorry for this stupid question... i don't know Java but am a fast
    > learner.
    > I want to write a simple app such as a Task Manager in Windows... much
    > like Outlook's Task Manager but with different features. Is Java the
    > right language to learn to do this? I do not want to make the app
    > dependant on a web browser but would like to make is a stand-alone
    > app.
    >
    > Thanks
    > -Ed

    Java is not depended on a web browser. Although I'm confused what you
    maen by Outlook's Task manager vs Windows Task Manager. I don't know
    about Outlooks task manager, but Windows task manager needs to know
    about running tasks and processes, etc... If you mean something like a
    Calendar, then that's a different problem altogether. For a Calendar
    program, Java might be worth it. It depends on a few things, not the
    lease of which is your target audience/platform.
    Daniel Pitts, Apr 25, 2007