is Java right for me?

aunst8_2000

Sorry for this stupid question... i don't know Java but am a fast
learner.
I want to write a simple app such as a Task Manager in Windows... much
like Outlook's Task Manager but with different features. Is Java the
right language to learn to do this? I do not want to make the app
dependant on a web browser but would like to make is a stand-alone
app.

Thanks
-Ed

Andrew Thompson

I want to write a simple app such as a Task Manager in Windows... much
like Outlook's Task Manager but with different features. Is Java the
right language to learn to do this?

I doubt it. Java is geared to cross-platform applications,
and usually relies on OS specific (C++/.NET) hooks to
do this sort of stuff. Might as well just code it in C++
or .NET to start with.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

Daniel Dyer

I doubt it. Java is geared to cross-platform applications,
and usually relies on OS specific (C++/.NET) hooks to
do this sort of stuff. Might as well just code it in C++
or .NET to start with.

I think the OP means more of a "TO DO" list kind of application rather
than a process viewer (at least that's what I'm assuming from the mention
of Outlook).

To the OP, Java is a good choice if you want to run on Linux and Mac with
very little extra effort. If you only want to run on Windows then there's
not any real advantage in using Java over the alternatives.

Dan.

Jochen Schulz

* Andrew Thompson:
I doubt it. Java is geared to cross-platform applications,
and usually relies on OS specific (C++/.NET) hooks to
do this sort of stuff.

I /think/ you misinterpreted the OP's usage of "task manager". Think
"todo list".

Of course this is possible with Java, but I am not sure whether it is
the right language for a beginner. Scripting languages like Python or
Ruby might be a little bit easier to learn and provide results more
quickly which is important to keep up motivation.

If you are planning to become a professional programmer, Java is
probably a good language to learn since demand is quite high. But for
many people writing in Java is not as much fun as writing in other
languages. But that is a highly subjective matter so in my opinion you
should just try something and see how far you get. Learning different
programming languages is a good thing anyway, even if you end up as a
Java monkey. :)

J.

jon

Sorry for this stupid question... i don't know Java but am a fast
learner.
I want to write a simple app such as a Task Manager in Windows... much
like Outlook's Task Manager but with different features.

"Simple app" such as Task Manager? <sigh>. You sound like my
supervisor. ("Oh, and we need it by this afternoon, about 1:00 or
1:30, for an important demonstration. It will by your fault if we
can't have this up and running.")
Is Java the
right language to learn to do this? I do not want to make the app
dependant on a web browser but would like to make is a stand-alone
app.

Thanks
-Ed

No, you'll want a language that can more readily access the Windows
APIs. I'd use MS Visual C, but nowadays most MSians would suggest
C#. You'll want a few days to get up to speed with the language....

Patricia Shanahan

Sorry for this stupid question... i don't know Java but am a fast
learner.
I want to write a simple app such as a Task Manager in Windows... much
like Outlook's Task Manager but with different features. Is Java the
right language to learn to do this? I do not want to make the app
dependant on a web browser but would like to make is a stand-alone
app.

I think you are getting mixed answers because of an ambiguity in your
question.

The Windows "Task Manager" is a specific program that displays system
information, such as the process list.

On the other hand, the term "task manager" can just refer to a to-do and
calendar program.

They are very different things. Which do you mean?

Patricia

blueice

I think Visual C++ would be a lot more appropriate to write Windows
tools. You don't necessarily need Visual Studio to do anything like
that (meaning, you can do it all in Notepad) but it would be of great
help. You're going to be accessing lots of system data and I'm sure
visual studio has plenty tools/APIs to make this easy for you. plus,
it's native to the Windows environment, Java isn't.

zero

To the OP, Java is a good choice if you want to run on Linux and Mac
with very little extra effort. If you only want to run on Windows
then there's not any real advantage in using Java over the
alternatives.

Dan.

What about ease of use? C++ was suggested by a lot of posters, but it is a
lot harder to learn than Java.
Then again if the dificulty level is a factor, there are other languages
easier than Java.

Zero

Scooby

zero said:
What about ease of use? C++ was suggested by a lot of posters, but it is
lot harder to learn than Java.
Then again if the dificulty level is a factor, there are other languages
easier than Java.

Zero

Well, I personally don't think C++ would be the right option for the OP.
But, C# is very much like Java, from a syntax perspective and is probably
the best solution in this case.

Daniel Dyer

What about ease of use? C++ was suggested by a lot of posters, but it
is a
lot harder to learn than Java.
Then again if the dificulty level is a factor, there are other languages
easier than Java.

Yes, you're right. I was thinking primarily of the main .Net languages
(C# and VB.net).

Dan.

Daniel Pitts

Sorry for this stupid question... i don't know Java but am a fast
learner.
I want to write a simple app such as a Task Manager in Windows... much
like Outlook's Task Manager but with different features. Is Java the
right language to learn to do this? I do not want to make the app
dependant on a web browser but would like to make is a stand-alone
app.

Thanks
-Ed

Java is not depended on a web browser. Although I'm confused what you
maen by Outlook's Task manager vs Windows Task Manager. I don't know
about Outlooks task manager, but Windows task manager needs to know
about running tasks and processes, etc... If you mean something like a
Calendar, then that's a different problem altogether. For a Calendar
program, Java might be worth it. It depends on a few things, not the
lease of which is your target audience/platform.