is laziness a programer's virtue?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Xah Lee, Apr 15, 2007.

  1. Xah Lee

    Xah Lee Guest

    Laziness, Perl, and Larry Wall

    Xah Lee, 20021124

    In the unix community there's quite a large confusion and wishful
    thinking about the word laziness. In this post, i'd like to make some
    clarifications.

    American Heritage Dictionary third edition defines laziness as:
    “Resistant to work or exertion; disposed to idleness.â€

    When the sorcerer Larry Wall said “The three chief virtues of a
    programmer are: Laziness, Impatience and Hubrisâ€, he used the word
    “laziness†to loosely imply “natural disposition that results in being
    economicâ€. As you can see now, “Resistant to work or exertion†is
    clearly not positive and not a virtue, but “natural disposition that
    results in economy†is a good thing if true.

    When Larry Wall said one of programer's virtue is laziness, he wants
    the unix morons to conjure up in their brains the following
    proposition as true: “Resistant to work or exertion is a natural human
    disposition and such disposition actually results behaviors being
    economicâ€. This statement may be true, which means that human laziness
    may be intuitively understood from evolution. However, this statement
    is a proposition on all human beings, and is not some “virtue†that
    can be applied to a group of people such as programers.

    Demagogue Larry Wall is smart in creating a confusion combined with
    wishful thinking. By making subtle statements like this, he semi-
    intentionally confuses average programers to think that it is OK to be
    not thorough, it is OK to be sloppy, it is OK to disparage computer
    science. (like the incompetent unixers and perlers are)

    Can you see the evil and its harm in not understanding things clearly?
    This laziness quote by Wall is a tremendous damage to the computing
    industry. It is a source among others that spurs much bad fashion
    trends and fuckups in the industry. It is more damaging than any
    single hack or virus. It is social brain-washing at work, like the
    diamond company De Beers' tremendously successful sales slogan: “A
    Diamond is Forever†or Apple's grammatically fantastic “Think
    Differentâ€.

    The most fundamental explanation of why Larry Wall's sophistry are
    damaging to society is simply this: What he said is not true and they
    are widely spread and conceived as worthwhile. This is a form of mis-
    information. This is a manifestation of Love without Knowledge as i
    expounded before, with subtle but disastrous consequences (already).

    [DISCLAIMER: all mentions of real persons are opinion only.]

    ----
    This post is archived at:
    http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/writ/perl_laziness.html

    Xah

    ∑ http://xahlee.org/
    Xah Lee, Apr 15, 2007

  2. Xah Lee

    Ken Tilton Guest

    Xah Lee wrote:
    > Laziness, Perl, and Larry Wall
    >
    > Xah Lee, 20021124
    >
    > In the unix community there's quite a large confusion and wishful
    > thinking about the word laziness. In this post, i'd like to make some
    > clarifications.
    >
    > American Heritage Dictionary third edition defines laziness as:
    > “Resistant to work or exertion; disposed to idleness.â€
    >
    > When the sorcerer Larry Wall said “The three chief virtues of a
    > programmer are: Laziness, Impatience and Hubrisâ€, he used the word
    > “laziness†to loosely imply “natural disposition that results in being
    > economicâ€. As you can see now, “Resistant to work or exertion†is
    > clearly not positive and not a virtue, but “natural disposition that
    > results in economy†is a good thing if true.
    >
    > When Larry Wall said one of programer's virtue is laziness, he wants
    > the unix morons to conjure up in their brains the following
    > proposition as true: “Resistant to work or exertion is a natural human
    > disposition and such disposition actually results behaviors being
    > economicâ€. This statement may be true, which means that human laziness
    > may be intuitively understood from evolution. However, this statement
    > is a proposition on all human beings, and is not some “virtue†that
    > can be applied to a group of people such as programers.

    Xah, you are losing your sense of humor. Wall listed the usually
    pejorative "lazy" as a virtue simply to grab the reader, make them
    think, and simply to entertain better. Surely The Great Xah understands
    the virtue of flamboyant writing and does not want every word yanked
    from context and slid under the microscope for dissection.

    kzo

    --
    http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/

    "Algebra is the metaphysics of arithmetic." - John Ray

    "As long as algebra is taught in school,
    there will be prayer in school." - Cokie Roberts

    "Stand firm in your refusal to remain conscious during algebra."
    - Fran Lebowitz

    "I'm an algebra liar. I figure two good lies make a positive."
    - Tim Allen
    Ken Tilton, Apr 15, 2007

  3. Xah Lee

    Dan Bensen Guest

    Xah Lee wrote:
    > Laziness, Perl, and Larry Wall
    > When the sorcerer Larry Wall said “The three chief virtues of a
    > programmer are: Laziness, Impatience and Hubrisâ€, he used the word
    > “laziness†to loosely imply “natural disposition that results in being
    > economicâ€.

    Programming by definition is the process of automating repetitive
    actions to reduce the human effort required to perform them. A good
    programmer faced with a hard problem always looks for ways to make
    his|her job easier by delegating work to a computer. That's what Larry
    means. Automation is MUCH more effective than repetition.

    --
    Dan
    www.prairienet.org/~dsb/
    Dan Bensen, Apr 15, 2007
  4. Xah Lee

    Daniel Gee Guest

    You fail to understand the difference between passive laziness and
    active laziness. Passive laziness is what most people have. It's
    active laziness that is the virtue. It's the desire to go out and /
    make sure/ that you can be lazy in the future by spending just a
    little time writing a script now. It's thinking about time
    economically and acting on it.
    Daniel Gee, Apr 15, 2007
  5. Xah Lee

    Kay Schluehr Guest

    On Apr 15, 6:25 pm, "Xah Lee" <> wrote:
    > Laziness, Perl, and Larry Wall
    >
    > Xah Lee, 20021124
    >
    > In the unix community there's quite a large confusion and wishful
    > thinking about the word laziness. In this post, i'd like to make some
    > clarifications.
    >
    > American Heritage Dictionary third edition defines laziness as:
    > “Resistant to work or exertion; disposed to idleness.â€
    >
    > When the sorcerer Larry Wall said “The three chief virtues of a
    > programmer are: Laziness, Impatience and Hubrisâ€, he used the word
    > “laziness†to loosely imply “natural disposition that results in being
    > economicâ€. As you can see now, “Resistant to work or exertion†is
    > clearly not positive and not a virtue, but “natural disposition that
    > results in economy†is a good thing if true.
    >
    > When Larry Wall said one of programer's virtue is laziness, he wants
    > the unix morons to conjure up in their brains the following
    > proposition as true: “Resistant to work or exertion is a natural human
    > disposition and such disposition actually results behaviors being
    > economicâ€. This statement may be true, which means that human laziness
    > may be intuitively understood from evolution. However, this statement
    > is a proposition on all human beings, and is not some “virtue†that
    > can be applied to a group of people such as programers.
    >
    > Demagogue Larry Wall is smart in creating a confusion combined with
    > wishful thinking. By making subtle statements like this, he semi-
    > intentionally confuses average programers to think that it is OK to be
    > not thorough, it is OK to be sloppy, it is OK to disparage computer
    > science. (like the incompetent unixers and perlers are)
    >
    > Can you see the evil and its harm in not understanding things clearly?
    > This laziness quote by Wall is a tremendous damage to the computing
    > industry. It is a source among others that spurs much bad fashion
    > trends and fuckups in the industry. It is more damaging than any
    > single hack or virus. It is social brain-washing at work, like the
    > diamond company De Beers' tremendously successful sales slogan: “A
    > Diamond is Forever†or Apple's grammatically fantastic “Think
    > Differentâ€.
    >
    > The most fundamental explanation of why Larry Wall's sophistry are
    > damaging to society is simply this: What he said is not true and they
    > are widely spread and conceived as worthwhile. This is a form of mis-
    > information. This is a manifestation of Love without Knowledge as i
    > expounded before, with subtle but disastrous consequences (already).
    >
    > [DISCLAIMER: all mentions of real persons are opinion only.]
    >
    > ----
    > This post is archived at:http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/writ/perl_laziness.html
    >
    > Xah
    >
    > ∑http://xahlee.org/

    I like Larry Wall, despite being not a Perl programmer, and when he
    secretly subverts the american, protestant working ethos I like him
    even better :)
    Kay Schluehr, Apr 15, 2007
  6. Xah Lee

    Xah Lee Guest

    Dear Ken,

    I want to thank you for your spirit in supporting and leading the lisp
    community, in spreading lisp the language both in what you have done
    technically as well as evangelization, as well as the love and
    knowledge attitude towards newsgroup communities in general, in part
    thru your numerous replies to my posts in the past years. (as opposed
    to, the motherfucking pack of driveling and fuckface ignoramuses that
    are predominate personalities in newsgroups, including some of the
    fucking asshole intolerant bigwigs in the lisp newsgroup who think
    themselves as the holder of justice and goodness (which has
    contributed significantly to the stagnation of lisp).)

    Thank you.

    For those reading this, i also want to mention, that although i think
    Perl is a motherfucking language on earth, and its leader and
    “inventor†Larry Wall has done massive damage to the computing world,
    but Perl the community is in fact very tolerant in general (which is
    to Larry's credit), when compared to the motherfucking Pythoners (who
    knew SHIT) as well as many of the self-appointed lisp bigwig
    characters.

    [disclaimer: my statement about Larry Wall is opinion only.]

    With Knowledge, and, Love.

    Xah

    ∑ http://xahlee.org/

    Xah Lee, Apr 15, 2007
  7. Xah Lee

    Jim Ford Guest

    Xah Lee wrote:
    > Laziness, Perl, and Larry Wall
    >
    > Xah Lee, 20021124
    >
    > In the unix community there's quite a large confusion and wishful
    > thinking about the word laziness. In this post, i'd like to make some
    > clarifications.

    Years ago I used to work with someone who used to say 'I'm a lazy person
    - I like to do things the easy way!'. I guess this is what Larry Wall means.

    Jim Ford
    Jim Ford, Apr 15, 2007
  8. On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 18:25:19 +0200, Xah Lee <> wrote:

    > Laziness, Perl, and Larry Wall
    >
    > Xah Lee, 20021124
    >
    > In the unix community there's quite a large confusion and wishful
    > thinking about the word laziness. In this post, i'd like to make some
    > clarifications.
    >
    > American Heritage Dictionary third edition defines laziness as:
    > “Resistant to work or exertion; disposed to idleness.â€

    In this context I think you can safely take it to mean:
    Don't work hard, work smart.

    Avoid repetitious work. If somthing seems to elaborate find a more
    efficient way.

    In a course I took on verifiable programming I found working with Hoare
    logic
    extremely tedious. So I started using rewriting loops as recursive
    procedures and
    using induction instead. It took about a quarter of the time as the
    invariant of a loop
    fell out rather naturally this way. I failed the course, but when I took
    the course
    over again a year later I noticed that the book had been rewritten and now
    half the book
    was dedicated to Generator Induction. (Seems the professor noticed I
    failed in a interesting
    way and figured out it was not so stupid after all.) Naturally I had no
    problems the second time ;)

    This is just one example but it should convey the idea.

    John Thingstad, Apr 15, 2007
  9. Xah Lee

    James Stroud Guest

    Xah Lee wrote:
    > Laziness, Perl, and Larry Wall
    >
    > Xah Lee, 20021124
    >
    > In the unix community there's quite a large confusion and wishful
    > thinking about the word laziness. In this post, i'd like to make some
    > clarifications.
    >
    > American Heritage Dictionary third edition defines laziness as:
    > “Resistant to work or exertion; disposed to idleness.â€
    >
    > When the sorcerer Larry Wall said “The three chief virtues of a
    > programmer are: Laziness, Impatience and Hubrisâ€, he used the word
    > “laziness†to loosely imply “natural disposition that results in being
    > economicâ€. As you can see now, “Resistant to work or exertion†is
    > clearly not positive and not a virtue, but “natural disposition that
    > results in economy†is a good thing if true.
    >
    > When Larry Wall said one of programer's virtue is laziness, he wants
    > the unix morons to conjure up in their brains the following
    > proposition as true: “Resistant to work or exertion is a natural human
    > disposition and such disposition actually results behaviors being
    > economicâ€. This statement may be true, which means that human laziness
    > may be intuitively understood from evolution. However, this statement
    > is a proposition on all human beings, and is not some “virtue†that
    > can be applied to a group of people such as programers.
    >
    > Demagogue Larry Wall is smart in creating a confusion combined with
    > wishful thinking. By making subtle statements like this, he semi-
    > intentionally confuses average programers to think that it is OK to be
    > not thorough, it is OK to be sloppy, it is OK to disparage computer
    > science. (like the incompetent unixers and perlers are)
    >
    > Can you see the evil and its harm in not understanding things clearly?
    > This laziness quote by Wall is a tremendous damage to the computing
    > industry. It is a source among others that spurs much bad fashion
    > trends and fuckups in the industry. It is more damaging than any
    > single hack or virus. It is social brain-washing at work, like the
    > diamond company De Beers' tremendously successful sales slogan: “A
    > Diamond is Forever†or Apple's grammatically fantastic “Think
    > Differentâ€.
    >
    > The most fundamental explanation of why Larry Wall's sophistry are
    > damaging to society is simply this: What he said is not true and they
    > are widely spread and conceived as worthwhile. This is a form of mis-
    > information. This is a manifestation of Love without Knowledge as i
    > expounded before, with subtle but disastrous consequences (already).
    >
    > [DISCLAIMER: all mentions of real persons are opinion only.]
    >
    > ----
    > This post is archived at:
    > http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/writ/perl_laziness.html
    >
    > Xah
    >
    > ∑ http://xahlee.org/

    Laziness is re-posting something dated 2002.
    James Stroud, Apr 15, 2007
  10. Ken Tilton wrote:
    > Xah Lee wrote:

    PLEEEEEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLL

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Apr 15, 2007
  11. Xah Lee

    Guest

    Of course, for functional languages, 'lazy' means something rather
    different...
    , Apr 16, 2007
  12. Xah Lee

    Ken Tilton Guest

    John Thingstad wrote:
    > On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 18:25:19 +0200, Xah Lee <> wrote:
    >
    >> Laziness, Perl, and Larry Wall
    >>
    >> Xah Lee, 20021124
    >>
    >> In the unix community there's quite a large confusion and wishful
    >> thinking about the word laziness. In this post, i'd like to make some
    >> clarifications.
    >>
    >> American Heritage Dictionary third edition defines laziness as:
    >> “Resistant to work or exertion; disposed to idleness.â€
    >>

    > In this context I think you can safely take it to mean:
    > Don't work hard, work smart.

    This and several other responses miss that Xah understands that
    distinction, witness this excerpt, and especially the very last clause:

    > When the sorcerer Larry Wall said “The three chief virtues of a
    > programmer are: Laziness, Impatience and Hubrisâ€, he used the word
    > “laziness†to loosely imply “natural disposition that results in being
    > economicâ€. As you can see now, “Resistant to work or exertion†is
    > clearly not positive and not a virtue, but “natural disposition that
    > results in economy†is a good thing if true.

    I will leave it to you to re-read the rest of what Xah wrote to find out
    about what he was in fact complaining.

    hth,kt

    Ken Tilton, Apr 16, 2007
  13. Xah Lee

    Ken Tilton Guest

    Jürgen Exner wrote:
    > Ken Tilton wrote:
    >
    >>Xah Lee wrote:

    > PLEEEEEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLL
    >
    > jue

    I understand that you mean well, but the fact is that the only NG
    pollution arising from Xah's posts begins with some people abusing Xah
    for perceived trolling and others who feel differenty stepping in to
    support his right to post. ie, If you /really/ do not want to see a long
    thread, well, don't feed it by saying don't feed it. That works for real
    trolls when folks miss that they are trolling and you can draw their
    attention to the trollishness, but not when someone is making a
    heartfelt post, no matter what you think of it.

    hth,kzo

    Ken Tilton, Apr 16, 2007
  14. Ken Tilton wrote:
    > Jürgen Exner wrote:
    >> Ken Tilton wrote:
    >>
    >>> Xah Lee wrote:

    >> PLEEEEEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLL

    > I understand that you mean well, but the fact is that the only NG
    > pollution arising from Xah's posts begins with some people abusing Xah
    > for perceived trolling and others who feel differenty stepping in to
    > support his right to post. ie, If you /really/ do not want to see a
    > long thread, well, don't feed it by saying don't feed it. That works
    > for real trolls when folks miss that they are trolling and you can
    > draw their attention to the trollishness, but not when someone is
    > making a heartfelt post, no matter what you think of it.

    You must be new to CLPM. I suggest you read his way off-topic,
    unsubstantiated, and just plain wrong posting in the archives of DejaNews.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Apr 16, 2007
  15. Xah Lee

    D Herring Guest

  16. Xah Lee

    Ken Tilton Guest

    Jürgen Exner wrote:
    > Ken Tilton wrote:
    >
    >>Jürgen Exner wrote:

    >>>PLEEEEEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLL

    >>I understand that you mean well, but the fact is that the only NG
    >>pollution arising from Xah's posts begins with some people abusing Xah
    >>for perceived trolling and others who feel differenty stepping in to
    >>support his right to post. ie, If you /really/ do not want to see a
    >>long thread, well, don't feed it by saying don't feed it. That works
    >>for real trolls when folks miss that they are trolling and you can
    >>draw their attention to the trollishness, but not when someone is
    >>making a heartfelt post, no matter what you think of it.

    > You must be new to CLPM. I suggest you read his way off-topic,
    > unsubstantiated, and just plain wrong posting in the archives of DejaNews.

    I enjoy Xah's writings on comp.lang.lisp.

    kzo

    Ken Tilton, Apr 16, 2007
  17. Xah Lee

    Dan Bensen Guest

    Ken Tilton wrote:
    > This and several other responses miss that Xah understands that
    > distinction, witness this excerpt, and especially the very last clause:
    >
    >> When the sorcerer Larry Wall said “The three chief virtues of a
    >> programmer are: Laziness, Impatience and Hubrisâ€, he used the word
    >> “laziness†to loosely imply “natural disposition that results in being
    >> economicâ€. As you can see now, “Resistant to work or exertion†is
    >> clearly not positive and not a virtue,

    Actually, I disagree with this assertion. The gung-ho kind of person
    who revels in brute effort often won't even think of good programming
    ideas because he|she is so intent on solving the problem through sheer
    force, and also derives a sense of pride from that.

    In programming, on the other hand, laziness can be an excellent
    motivator in coming up with ideas. That's one thing that's so great
    about Lisp. With macros and functional programming, you don't have to
    type or paste in lots of similar code like you do in most other
    languages. It's laziness that inspires the programmer to write more and
    more abstract code. The only thing that Larry is *not* referring to is
    intellectual laziness.

    Xah Lee wrote:
    > When Larry Wall said one of programer's virtue is laziness, he wants
    > the unix morons to conjure up in their brains the following
    > proposition as true: “Resistant to work or exertion is a natural human
    > disposition and such disposition actually results behaviors being
    > economicâ€. This statement may be true, which means that human laziness
    > may be intuitively understood from evolution. However, this statement
    > is a proposition on all human beings, and is not some “virtue†that
    > can be applied to a group of people such as programers.

    Laziness (physical, not intellectual) is exceedingly useful in
    programming.

    I also disagree with the idea that Larry is any more dangerous than
    Guido, Matz, or Gosling. They're all part of a reaction against
    the difficulties of C++ that started somewhere around 1990 or so.
    I don't seen any merit in singling out Larry and Perl for special
    treatment.

    --
    Dan
    www.prairienet.org/~dsb/
    Dan Bensen, Apr 16, 2007
  18. Xah Lee

    Rob Warnock Guest

    Daniel Gee <> wrote:
    +---------------
    | You fail to understand the difference between passive laziness and
    | active laziness. Passive laziness is what most people have. It's
    | active laziness that is the virtue. It's the desire to go out and /
    | make sure/ that you can be lazy in the future by spending just a
    | little time writing a script now. It's thinking about time
    | economically and acting on it.
    +---------------

    Indeed. See Robert A. Heinlein's short story (well, actually just
    a short section of his novel "Time Enough For Love: The Lives of
    Lazarus Long") entitled "The Tale of the Man Who Was Too Lazy To
    Fail". It's about a man who hated work so much that he worked
    very, *very* hard so he wouldn't have to do any (and succeeded).

    -Rob

    -----
    Rob Warnock <>
    627 26th Avenue <URL:http://rpw3.org/>
    San Mateo, CA 94403 (650)572-2607
    Rob Warnock, Apr 16, 2007
  19. Dan Bensen <> writes:

    > Xah Lee wrote:
    >> Laziness, Perl, and Larry Wall
    >> When the sorcerer Larry Wall said “The three chief virtues of a
    >> programmer are: Laziness, Impatience and Hubrisâ€, he used the word
    >> “laziness†to loosely imply “natural disposition that results in being
    >> economicâ€.

    > Programming by definition is the process of automating repetitive
    > actions to reduce the human effort required to perform them. A good
    > programmer faced with a hard problem always looks for ways to make
    > his|her job easier by delegating work to a computer. That's what
    > Larry means. Automation is MUCH more effective than repetition.

    Indeed. A programmer is someone who, after doing similar tasks by
    hand a few times, writes a program to do it. This extends to
    programming tasks, so after writing similar programs a few times, a
    (good) programmer will use programming to make writing future similar
    programs easier. This can be by abstracting the essence of the task
    into library functions so new programs are just sequences of
    parameterized calls to these, or it can be by writing a program
    generator (such as a parser generator) or it can be by designing a
    domain-specific language and writing a compiler or interpreter for
    this.

    Torben
    Torben Ægidius Mogensen, Apr 16, 2007
  20. Dan Bensen <> writes:
    > Laziness (physical, not intellectual) is exceedingly useful in
    > programming.
    >
    > I also disagree with the idea that Larry is any more dangerous than
    > Guido, Matz, or Gosling. They're all part of a reaction against
    > the difficulties of C++ that started somewhere around 1990 or so.
    > I don't seen any merit in singling out Larry and Perl for special
    > treatment.

    Well at least the notion of the lazy programmer is much older than
    1990. In 1981 already my programming teachers were telling us that a
    good programmer was an intelligent lazy programmer.

    --
    __Pascal Bourguignon__
    Pascal Bourguignon, Apr 16, 2007