is lcc-win32 using gpl code???

gentoo user

today I found this thread in gnu.misc.discuss "GPL question"

mike cox is asking the following questions about lcc-win32........

???is any of this true???

mike cox:
(1) Its runtime uses GPL code for its "edit_distance()" function, but
only provides source for this one function but not the entire
library.
(says so in the docs that code for this function is provided to
comply with its license)
Does the GPL allow that? Can I do the same in my own project?

alfred m. szmidt:
As I already answer: No, and No.

mike cox:
(2) Included in the distribution is a binary copy of gdbm. It appears
it is not otherwise used but is redistributed without source and
documented, but its GPLness is not otherwise mentioned. Is there a
problem here, and if yes, what is it?

alfred m. szmidt:
As I already answered: Yes, the GPL states that the WHOLE work must
be
licensed under the GPL. Since it isn't, it is a license violation.

mike cox:
(3) The linux version links with and distributes binary copies of
BFD. From previous replies I gather I can not do that in my projects?

alfred m. szmidt:
Correct.

mike cox:
(4) Also included in the win32 version is a program called
"windent", a version of GNU indent 1.10.0 with added GUI, but no
source code. This one is really confusing. GNU indent is derived
from some BSD licensed code, but also contains source files
licensed under GPL. That would make the whole work GPL, right?

alfred m. szmidt says:
Correct.

???is any of this true???

Richard Bos

gentoo user said:
today I found this thread in gnu.misc.discuss "GPL question"

mike cox is asking the following questions about lcc-win32........

I would suggest asking questions about ferrets in a rec.pets.ferrets,
questions about C# in microsoft.public.java.badly-stolen, and questions
about lcc, including those about lcc-win32, in comp.compilers.lcc. And
that for the same reason in all cases.

Richard

Kenny McCormack

I would suggest asking questions about ferrets in a rec.pets.ferrets,
questions about C# in microsoft.public.java.badly-stolen, and questions
about lcc, including those about lcc-win32, in comp.compilers.lcc. And
that for the same reason in all cases.

Navia-bashing is very much on-topic-by-definition here.
It's in the FAQ.

Martin Ambuhl

Kenny said:
Navia-bashing is very much on-topic-by-definition here.
It's in the FAQ.

Note two things:
1) Only Kenny McCormack mentioned Navia, so if anyone is bashing Navia
it is Kenny McCormack.
2) There is no bashing at all in Richard Bos's post to which Kenny
McCormack replied. It is only Kenny McCormack who brought bashing to
the table.
3) There is absolutely no positive content in Kenny McCormack's asinine
post. It takes a microscope to find any content at all thee.

Richard

Martin Ambuhl said:
Note two things:
1) Only Kenny McCormack mentioned Navia, so if anyone is bashing Navia
it is Kenny McCormack.
2) There is no bashing at all in Richard Bos's post to which Kenny
McCormack replied. It is only Kenny McCormack who brought bashing to
the table.
3) There is absolutely no positive content in Kenny McCormack's
asinine post. It takes a microscope to find any content at all thee.

You need to recalibrate.

KM was hinting that any discussion involving lcc-win32 would invariably
be simply Navia bashing in this friendly newsgroup.

Kenny McCormack

OBCheapShot: How many things?
You need to recalibrate.

KM was hinting that any discussion involving lcc-win32 would invariably
be simply Navia bashing in this friendly newsgroup.

Exactly. There was a mention of lcc-win32, and that of course, is
Navia-bashing directly or it will assuredly lead to it.