Is license of gserver.rb in Ruby package "freeware"?? Thanks.

XiaoLiang Liu

Hello,

I found that in Ruby package there's a file named gserver.rb, the licence of
which is "freeware". I searched freeware licence on internet, but I didn't
find the content of the licence.

Does anyone know freeware licence? Thanks a lot.

Here's the header of gserver.rb
#
# Copyright (C) 2001 John W. Small All Rights Reserved
#
# Author:: John W. Small
# Documentation:: Gavin Sinclair
# Licence:: Freeware.
#
# See the class GServer for documentation.
#

darren kirby

quoth the XiaoLiang Liu:
Hello,

I found that in Ruby package there's a file named gserver.rb, the licence
of which is "freeware". I searched freeware licence on internet, but I
didn't find the content of the licence.

Does anyone know freeware licence? Thanks a lot.

Here's the header of gserver.rb
#
# Copyright (C) 2001 John W. Small All Rights Reserved
#
# Author:: John W. Small
# Documentation:: Gavin Sinclair
# Licence:: Freeware.
#
# See the class GServer for documentation.
#

I believe in this context it is the same as saying 'free as in beer, but _not_
free as in speech, though, I am not a lawyer, and am not an expert on
software licensing.

Perhaps this link from wikipedia may help:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeware.

FWIW your best bet is to try to contact the author himself directly to enquire
about its terms of use.

-d

Avdi Grimm

I believe in this context it is the same as saying 'free as in beer, but _not_
free as in speech, though, I am not a lawyer, and am not an expert on
software licensing.

That could be a problem, considering GServer is part of the core Ruby
distribution which is ostensibly all under the Ruby license.

darren kirby

quoth the Avdi Grimm:
That could be a problem, considering GServer is part of the core Ruby
distribution which is ostensibly all under the Ruby license.

Ahh, I wasn't aware it was core Ruby. I am also not aware if code accepted to
the core distribution implicitly becomes licensed under the 'Ruby' license.
Perhaps gserver.rb needs to be updated...

-d

XiaoLiang Liu

Yes, since gserver.rb is part of ruby core, I think it might need be
updated.

quoth the Avdi Grimm:

XiaoLiang Liu

anyway, does anyone know the email of the author John W. Small?
Thanks.

XiaoLiang Liu

Does anyone know email of the author John W. Small?
Thanks.