Is metaprogramming suitable for iterative method

wakun

Hi there,
I am working a project in numerical computation in which iterative
method is applied for solving equation. The problem is so big and slow.
Few days ago, I found a paper on metaprogramming , it seems that such
technique has good performance for some case. For ordinary case, my
code for implementing iterative method like

for (int i=1; i<N; i++)
{
x = f(x, x[i-1]);
}

where f(_, _) represents a function of iterative expression

I try to write a metaprogramming verion like

template <int size>
inline void meta_iter(double *x)
{
*x = f(*x, *(x-1));
metaThomas<size-1>(x+1);
}

template<> inline void meta_iter(double *x) {}

However, the performance of the metaprogramming version is not better
than ordinary version. In contrast, the former is slower than the
later!!!

Kai-Uwe Bux

[...]

Just a wild guess: for large values of N, you might unroll more of the loop
than is good for you. The code for the loop needs to be fetched from
memory. For a large body of code that is going to trigger cache misses.
Your compiler probably knows better how to avoid these than the template.

Best

Kai-Uwe Bux

Jack Saalweachter

Kai-Uwe Bux said:
[...]

Ignoring catastrophic cache missing, is there ever going to be a case
where you get massive, giant, life-and-death speed gains from this sort
of an optimazation? I've always viewed this as belonging to the class
of witch-doctoring optimizations, things which may or may not improve
your speed by a reasonably small fraction depending on the specifics.
[As opposed to optimizations which reduce the complexity of your code,
and thus almost-always give wild, huge gains.]

Greg

[...]

Let's examine the current routine:

for (int i=1; i<N; i++)
{
x = f(x, x[i-1]);
}

There are few changes that could be made to this routine that would
probably speed it up, and none of them necessarily require templates.

First, I would note that x is calculated twice in one statement.
Second, x[i-1] is calculated even though the previous iteration had
just stored the value at that location. Eliminating both redundant and
unnecessary memory accesses as well as unrolling the loop should
improve performance:

double *index = &x[1];
double value = x[0];

for (int i = 0; i < N/4; i++)