    Am I incorrect about this? Does anyone have a link to a clear
    statement of intent from Microsoft on the role they have planned for
    Access and VBA in the future?

    Lauren Wilson, May 8, 2005

  2. Sure. It's called SQL SERVER MSDE

    Access as a development platform is all but dead (as well it should be).
    Access as a database will be around for awhile. Especially since
    so many companies can't stand needing to install the "bloat" that
    is MSDE for simple desktop applications. Our customers
    have been asking us to completely remove any notion of SQL Server
    in our next editions of desktop software.

    --
    2004 and 2005 Microsoft MVP C#
    Robbe Morris

    Robbe Morris [C# MVP], May 8, 2005

  3. No, Access is not being phased out as a development platform, just the
    opposite. The Access team is hard at work on the next version of
    Access even as we speak. However, Access is not envisioned as a
    development tool for .NET applications, if that is what you mean by
    the question. The Jet engine can be used as a data store for a .NET
    application as long as it's small and local in scope -- it is not
    suitable for a public web site or enterprise-level applications that
    need to scale up or out. So the bottom line is, if you want to
    continue to use Access/VBA, you're not going to be building
    applications in the .NET space. If you want to use the Jet engine as a
    data store for a .NET application, you can safely do so as long as you
    don't attempt to exceed its somewhat limited capabilities.

    --Mary

    Mary Chipman [MSFT], May 9, 2005