    apps. compiled in VS2005 in debug mode, wont work on VC++6 platform,
    whereas for release mode it works for both..
    Thanks
    vvj, Feb 15, 2007

  2. vvj

    Gavin Deane Guest

    On 15 Feb, 09:55, "vvj" <> wrote:
    > Hi
    > Is Microsoft Visual studio 2005 upgraded version of Microsoft VC++ 6?
    > Is that way apps. compiled in VS2005 wont work on VC++6?? But here
    > apps. compiled in VS2005 in debug mode, wont work on VC++6 platform,
    > whereas for release mode it works for both..
    > Thanks

    As I understand Microsoft's versioning numbers, the compiler used by
    visual studio 2005 is version 8, two major revisions up fom version 6
    (which is old enough to predate the standardisation of C++).

    However, your whole question is off-topic in comp.lang.c++ as it's not
    a C++ language question. There are newsgroups dedicated to Microsoft's
    C++ implementations and they will be able to help you. See the FAQ for
    suggestions.

    Gavin Deane
    Gavin Deane, Feb 15, 2007

  3. Gavin Deane wrote:
    > On 15 Feb, 09:55, "vvj" <> wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> Is Microsoft Visual studio 2005 upgraded version of Microsoft VC++ 6?
    >> Is that way apps. compiled in VS2005 wont work on VC++6?? But here
    >> apps. compiled in VS2005 in debug mode, wont work on VC++6 platform,
    >> whereas for release mode it works for both..
    >> Thanks

    > As I understand Microsoft's versioning numbers, the compiler used by
    > visual studio 2005 is version 8, two major revisions up fom version 6
    > (which is old enough to predate the standardisation of C++).

    <nitpick>
    Close, but the numbers are off. The _compiler_ version in VS 2005 is
    14. The compiler version in VS 6 (VC++ 6) is 12. Still, two major
    versions up.
    </nitpick>

    > However, your whole question is off-topic in comp.lang.c++ as it's not
    > a C++ language question. There are newsgroups dedicated to Microsoft's
    > C++ implementations and they will be able to help you. See the FAQ for
    > suggestions.
    > http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.9

    Absolutely.
    Victor Bazarov, Feb 15, 2007
  4. vvj

    Jerry Coffin Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    [ ... ]

    > As I understand Microsoft's versioning numbers, the compiler used by
    > visual studio 2005 is version 8, two major revisions up fom version 6
    > (which is old enough to predate the standardisation of C++).

    It's two major versions, but then again, major vs. minor doesn't
    necessarily mean a lot -- though officially treated as a minor version,
    in terms of standard conformance, the biggest upgrade in there was from
    VS 7 to 7.1.

    Oh, BTW, the compiler has its own version number separate from Visual
    Studio as a whole. The compiler version numbers have maintained a
    continuous succession all the way back to Microsoft's first C compiler
    (and before, if you want to get technical -- the first few versions were
    really Lattice C in Microsoft packaging).

    --
    Later,
    Jerry.

    Jerry Coffin, Feb 16, 2007