Is my IDLE problem caused by .idlerc? Permissions.

Discussion in 'Python' started by W. eWatson, Dec 24, 2011.

  1. W. eWatson

    W. eWatson Guest

    I installed 64-bit Python 2.7.2 on Win 7. IDLE does appear as the second
    choice on right-click of a py file menu. However, nothing happens if I
    use it. If I try to execute idle from the cmd window, it complains about
    ..idlerc\recent-files.lst

    IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
    'C:\\Users\\Wayne\\.idlerc\\recent-files.lst'

    These are permissions for it.

    Permissions as follows:
    SYSTEM: All. From Full control to write
    Account Unknown(S-1-5-21...): read&exec, Read
    Wayne: (normal use) All. From Full control to write
    Admin: All. From Full control to write
    WMPNetwork: Read

    Comments?

    ..idlerc permissions are slightly different for Account Unknown.
    W. eWatson, Dec 24, 2011

  2. On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 10:55:48 -0800, "W. eWatson"
    <> wrote:

    >Permissions as follows:
    >SYSTEM: All. From Full control to write
    >Account Unknown(S-1-5-21...): read&exec, Read
    >Wayne: (normal use) All. From Full control to write
    >Admin: All. From Full control to write
    >WMPNetwork: Read
    >
    >Comments?
    >
    >.idlerc permissions are slightly different for Account Unknown.

    "Account Unknown" refers to a user account that has been deleted
    (or, via some other system corruption, is no longer associated with a
    login name -- happened to me earlier this year: my user account "name"
    had been "Wulfraed" but the user account directory was under "Dennis Lee
    Bieber"... When the registry crashed it disconnected name "Wulfraed"
    from directory "Dennis Lee Bieber"... Lost a month of email once I got
    done creating a new user account where directory and name matched and
    restored from backup [I failed to back-up the old user directory before
    trying a remove/create user]).

    My suggestion would be, first, remove privileges for that remnant
    account where-ever found; check higher directory leveles too, and try to
    propagate the privilege downwards.

    Second -- could the file itself be set for read-only on the simple
    properties? I just tested with Win7 -- setting the general "read-only"
    did not make any changes to any of the security tab "users". Third,
    confirm the owner of the file is your current user account; if not,see
    if you can get "take ownership" option for the file to work.

    --
    Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
    Dennis Lee Bieber, Dec 24, 2011

  3. W. eWatson

    W. eWatson Guest

    On 12/24/2011 11:35 AM, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
    > On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 10:55:48 -0800, "W. eWatson"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> Permissions as follows:
    >> SYSTEM: All. From Full control to write
    >> Account Unknown(S-1-5-21...): read&exec, Read
    >> Wayne: (normal use) All. From Full control to write
    >> Admin: All. From Full control to write
    >> WMPNetwork: Read
    >>
    >> Comments?
    >>
    >> .idlerc permissions are slightly different for Account Unknown.

    > "Account Unknown" refers to a user account that has been deleted
    > (or, via some other system corruption, is no longer associated with a
    > login name -- happened to me earlier this year: my user account "name"
    > had been "Wulfraed" but the user account directory was under "Dennis Lee
    > Bieber"... When the registry crashed it disconnected name "Wulfraed"
    > from directory "Dennis Lee Bieber"... Lost a month of email once I got
    > done creating a new user account where directory and name matched and
    > restored from backup [I failed to back-up the old user directory before
    > trying a remove/create user]).
    >
    > My suggestion would be, first, remove privileges for that remnant
    > account where-ever found; check higher directory levels too, and try to
    > propagate the privilege downwards.
    >
    > Second -- could the file itself be set for read-only on the simple
    > properties? I just tested with Win7 -- setting the general "read-only"
    > did not make any changes to any of the security tab "users". Third,
    > confirm the owner of the file is your current user account; if not,see
    > if you can get "take ownership" option for the file to work.

    I wonder if removing the "Account Unknown" account might just do it. Not
    quite familiar with Owner, but I'll look around.

    I'll check the file for "read only".
    W. eWatson, Dec 26, 2011
  4. W. eWatson

    W. eWatson Guest

    On 12/26/2011 10:16 AM, W. eWatson wrote:
    > On 12/24/2011 11:35 AM, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
    >> On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 10:55:48 -0800, "W. eWatson"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Permissions as follows:
    >>> SYSTEM: All. From Full control to write
    >>> Account Unknown(S-1-5-21...): read&exec, Read
    >>> Wayne: (normal use) All. From Full control to write
    >>> Admin: All. From Full control to write
    >>> WMPNetwork: Read
    >>>
    >>> Comments?
    >>>
    >>> .idlerc permissions are slightly different for Account Unknown.

    >> "Account Unknown" refers to a user account that has been deleted
    >> (or, via some other system corruption, is no longer associated with a
    >> login name -- happened to me earlier this year: my user account "name"
    >> had been "Wulfraed" but the user account directory was under "Dennis Lee
    >> Bieber"... When the registry crashed it disconnected name "Wulfraed"
    >> from directory "Dennis Lee Bieber"... Lost a month of email once I got
    >> done creating a new user account where directory and name matched and
    >> restored from backup [I failed to back-up the old user directory before
    >> trying a remove/create user]).
    >>
    >> My suggestion would be, first, remove privileges for that remnant
    >> account where-ever found; check higher directory levels too, and try to
    >> propagate the privilege downwards.
    >>
    >> Second -- could the file itself be set for read-only on the simple
    >> properties? I just tested with Win7 -- setting the general "read-only"
    >> did not make any changes to any of the security tab "users". Third,
    >> confirm the owner of the file is your current user account; if not,see
    >> if you can get "take ownership" option for the file to work.
    >>

    > I wonder if removing the "Account Unknown" account might just do it. Not
    > quite familiar with Owner, but I'll look around.
    >
    > I'll check the file for "read only".

    Solved. Moving .idlerc to another folder for safe keeping, and letting
    IDLE create a new .idlerc folder did it. I don't have the slightest idea
    why that worked, but the troublesome file was dated 2/2010, probably
    from installing 2.5.2, and never touched again by attempts either to
    re-install 2.5.2 or move up to 2.7.2.
    W. eWatson, Dec 26, 2011