'is not a valid virtual path' - host header help

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by simon, Mar 4, 2008.

  1. simon

    simon Guest

    hello.
    i'm trying to setup a website on my local server
    when compiling it VS 2005 i get the error
    "is not a valid virtual path"

    from what i've read on the net, this is due to the fact that the site
    is using IP:port, which is no longer supported in VS 2005. I have to
    use the IP:port setup 192.168.2.102:8080 as my ISP blocks port 80

    this is just a dev site, but i would like to access it externally,
    hence the port 8080. I've read that a few people got around this
    issue by using host headers. but i have yet to find an example of
    how. anything listed out on the internet refer to only using port 80.
    was hoping someone could help me with my setup of how to setup my site
    to user IP:8080 and point to port 80 as well via host headers so that
    the site can be built/compiled in VS 2005.
    I assume i then have to make a DNS entry, host file entry or WINS
    entry so that the site is accessible via the host header name. any
    help with that would be appreciated greatly as well

    my server is Win2003 w/ IIS6. and .net 2.0

    thanks for any help

    simon, Mar 4, 2008

  2. simon

    Jeff Dillon Guest

    The IP 192.168.2.102 is a local IP, and not visible to the world. You should
    get a regular ISP, and not your cable/phone provider. Some are even free

    Jeff

    Jeff Dillon, Mar 4, 2008

  3. simon

    simon Guest

    I understand that, thank you tho.
    I have 8080 opened up on my router and traffic via that port is mapped
    to my server.
    so when i go to my full IP assigned by my ISP:8080 it comes up on the
    internet - i only put the 192.x.x.x IP in there for clarity sake, but
    i guess it wasn't too clear :D

    there are a handful of forum posts on the net saying "i got around
    this port issue in VS 2005 by adding a host header and DNS entry".
    though no one said what they entererd to do so. since those posts are
    a few years old, i was hoping this was an easy task and someone could
    just give me the steps to do so.

    i'd really appreciate it. thanks

    simon, Mar 5, 2008
  4. simon

    Jeff Dillon Guest

    You set up host headers in IIS Admin

    Jeff

    Jeff Dillon, Mar 5, 2008
  5. simon

    simon Guest

    hello Jeff,
    thanks for the reply. i do realize that is where you setup host
    headers. you enter 3 pieces of info: IP, Port, Host header name

    but i have not had any luck adding a host header entry for a site that
    is configured to run on port 8080 in IIS and give it a host header
    that defines it using port 80.

    there are multiple old posts (like 2 years old) from a few different
    forums where people said they got around this issue by adding host
    header to basically "trick" VS 2005 to allow the external site to
    "build". one down side is that you loose debugging capability within
    VS, but i can live without that for now for the sake of testing.

    If you know how to add a host header to make it appear as if it is
    running on port 80 and what other entry (read about adding an entry to
    hosts file or using WINS) that is what i'm after.
    thanks again for your time.

    simon, Mar 5, 2008
  6. simon

    Jeff Dillon Guest

    Just build locally, then expose it as you see fit after the build in IIS
    Admin. I don't understand the problem.

    Jeff Dillon, Mar 6, 2008