'is not a valid virtual path' - host header help

simon

hello.
i'm trying to setup a website on my local server
when compiling it VS 2005 i get the error
"is not a valid virtual path"

from what i've read on the net, this is due to the fact that the site
is using IP:port, which is no longer supported in VS 2005. I have to
use the IP:port setup 192.168.2.102:8080 as my ISP blocks port 80

this is just a dev site, but i would like to access it externally,
hence the port 8080. I've read that a few people got around this
issue by using host headers. but i have yet to find an example of
how. anything listed out on the internet refer to only using port 80.
was hoping someone could help me with my setup of how to setup my site
to user IP:8080 and point to port 80 as well via host headers so that
the site can be built/compiled in VS 2005.
I assume i then have to make a DNS entry, host file entry or WINS
entry so that the site is accessible via the host header name. any
help with that would be appreciated greatly as well

my server is Win2003 w/ IIS6. and .net 2.0

thanks for any help

Jeff Dillon

The IP 192.168.2.102 is a local IP, and not visible to the world. You should
get a regular ISP, and not your cable/phone provider. Some are even free

Jeff

simon

I understand that, thank you tho.
I have 8080 opened up on my router and traffic via that port is mapped
to my server.
so when i go to my full IP assigned by my ISP:8080 it comes up on the
internet - i only put the 192.x.x.x IP in there for clarity sake, but
i guess it wasn't too clear :D

there are a handful of forum posts on the net saying "i got around
this port issue in VS 2005 by adding a host header and DNS entry".
though no one said what they entererd to do so. since those posts are
a few years old, i was hoping this was an easy task and someone could
just give me the steps to do so.

i'd really appreciate it. thanks

Jeff Dillon

You set up host headers in IIS Admin

Jeff

simon said:
I understand that, thank you tho.
I have 8080 opened up on my router and traffic via that port is mapped
to my server.
so when i go to my full IP assigned by my ISP:8080 it comes up on the
internet - i only put the 192.x.x.x IP in there for clarity sake, but
i guess it wasn't too clear :D

there are a handful of forum posts on the net saying "i got around
this port issue in VS 2005 by adding a host header and DNS entry".
though no one said what they entererd to do so. since those posts are
a few years old, i was hoping this was an easy task and someone could
just give me the steps to do so.

i'd really appreciate it. thanks

simon

hello Jeff,
thanks for the reply. i do realize that is where you setup host
headers. you enter 3 pieces of info: IP, Port, Host header name

but i have not had any luck adding a host header entry for a site that
is configured to run on port 8080 in IIS and give it a host header
that defines it using port 80.

there are multiple old posts (like 2 years old) from a few different
forums where people said they got around this issue by adding host
header to basically "trick" VS 2005 to allow the external site to
"build". one down side is that you loose debugging capability within
VS, but i can live without that for now for the sake of testing.

If you know how to add a host header to make it appear as if it is
running on port 80 and what other entry (read about adding an entry to
hosts file or using WINS) that is what i'm after.
thanks again for your time.

Jeff Dillon

Just build locally, then expose it as you see fit after the build in IIS
Admin. I don't understand the problem.