    libraries?

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks

    Franz, Jan 3, 2005

  2. Franz

    Jim Keenan Guest

    Franz wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I need to run perl on a imbedded platform with limited space and
    > capabilities. Do I really need to install perl from scratch, or can I
    > simply copy the perl executable, the shared object file and the needed
    > libraries?

    My guess would be that the amount of work needed to get that copying
    right > amount of work needed to install Perl from scratch.

    jimk

    Jim Keenan, Jan 3, 2005

  3. Franz wrote:

    > I need to run perl on a imbedded platform with limited space and
    > capabilities. Do I really need to install perl from scratch, or can I
    > simply copy the perl executable, the shared object file and the needed
    > libraries?

    I'd answer that with a firm "it depends." :)

    If you already have a full cross-compilation tool chain set up for your
    embedded environment, it shouldn't be much more difficult to cross
    compile Perl than it would be to do so for any other major app.

    On the other paw, if you're compiling everything else directly on the
    target platform, then you'd have to also consider the effort of setting
    up a cross-compilation tool chain just for Perl. That would be a *lot*
    more work.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Jan 3, 2005