Is perl installation from scratch needed?

Franz

Hi,

I need to run perl on a imbedded platform with limited space and
capabilities. Do I really need to install perl from scratch, or can I
simply copy the perl executable, the shared object file and the needed
libraries?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks

Jim Keenan

Franz said:
Hi,

I need to run perl on a imbedded platform with limited space and
capabilities. Do I really need to install perl from scratch, or can I
simply copy the perl executable, the shared object file and the needed
libraries?
My guess would be that the amount of work needed to get that copying
right > amount of work needed to install Perl from scratch.

jimk

Sherm Pendley

Franz said:
I need to run perl on a imbedded platform with limited space and
capabilities. Do I really need to install perl from scratch, or can I
simply copy the perl executable, the shared object file and the needed
libraries?

I'd answer that with a firm "it depends." :)

If you already have a full cross-compilation tool chain set up for your
embedded environment, it shouldn't be much more difficult to cross
compile Perl than it would be to do so for any other major app.

On the other paw, if you're compiling everything else directly on the
target platform, then you'd have to also consider the effort of setting
up a cross-compilation tool chain just for Perl. That would be a *lot*
more work.

sherm--