Is Psyco good for Python 2.6.1?

Russ P.

I need to speed up some Python code, and I discovered Psyco. However,
the Psyco web page has not been updated since December 2007. Before I
go to the trouble of installing it, does anyone know if it is still
good for Python 2.6.1? Thanks.

Mensanator

I need to speed up some Python code, and I discovered Psyco. However,
the Psyco web page has not been updated since December 2007. Before I
go to the trouble of installing it, does anyone know if it is still
good for Python 2.6.1? Thanks.

Usually, the download page will list various versions
to use with various Python versions. If it lists a
2.4 version, a 2.5 version, but no 2.6 version, most likely
the authors haven't yet made a 2.6 version so you're SOL.

Even that isn't guaranteed to always work. For instance,
the authors of the smpy module didn't think they needed
a seperate 2.6 version (and didn't make any effort to
actually try it 2.6). Turned out to be dead wrong on that
and had to scramble to release a fix.

Bearophile

Russ P.:

Python works well to me on Python 2.6+, on Windows. You can find a
compiled version too, around.

Bye,
bearophile

duncan smith

Russ said:
I need to speed up some Python code, and I discovered Psyco. However,
the Psyco web page has not been updated since December 2007. Before I
go to the trouble of installing it, does anyone know if it is still
good for Python 2.6.1? Thanks.

If you look at http://psyco.sourceforge.net/ it would seem so (a Windows
binary for 2.6 is available). You might want to wait a little while
because Psyco 2 is likely to be released very soon (tomorrow, the last I
heard).

Duncan