    Has there been any discussion of wxPython becoming part of the base
    Python distro? A requirement here is to not require download/install of
    anything other than the Python release.

    Paul Watson, Apr 2, 2006

  2. Paul Watson

    gregarican Guest

    Paul Watson wrote:

    > Does pwm run well on Python 2.4? The last release appears to be in
    > 2003. The Manning discussion forum is dead.
    >
    > Is there a better path to learning and producing tkInter apps?
    >

    > Has there been any discussion of wxPython becoming part of the base
    > Python distro? A requirement here is to not require download/install of
    > anything other than the Python release.

    I can't vouch for Python 2.4, but I used the PMW library pretty
    extensively for an app that is based on Python 2.3. Tkinker itself
    offers most of the basic widgets that any Tk implementation does, and
    there's an online guide (can't recall the URL right now) to Tkinter
    that is great for an introduction tutorial. PMW is an add-on to Tkinter
    that is useful if there are specific widgets that you need that basic
    Tkinter doesn't provide and you don't feel like creating them from
    scratch. Just because it doesn't have a new release in the past couple
    of years doesn't mean that it's truly a dead project. Perhaps it's
    stabilized and there haven't been overwhelming requests for adding any
    new items to it. Using PMW won't help you learn Tkinter any quicker in
    any event. Just icing on the cake :)

    gregarican, Apr 2, 2006

  3. Paul Watson

    Paul Watson Guest

    gregarican wrote:
    > Paul Watson wrote:
    >

    >>Does pwm run well on Python 2.4? The last release appears to be in
    >>2003. The Manning discussion forum is dead.
    >>
    >>Is there a better path to learning and producing tkInter apps?
    >>

    >>Has there been any discussion of wxPython becoming part of the base
    >>Python distro? A requirement here is to not require download/install of
    >>anything other than the Python release.

    > I can't vouch for Python 2.4, but I used the PMW library pretty
    > extensively for an app that is based on Python 2.3. Tkinker itself
    > offers most of the basic widgets that any Tk implementation does, and
    > there's an online guide (can't recall the URL right now) to Tkinter
    > that is great for an introduction tutorial. PMW is an add-on to Tkinter
    > that is useful if there are specific widgets that you need that basic
    > Tkinter doesn't provide and you don't feel like creating them from
    > scratch. Just because it doesn't have a new release in the past couple
    > of years doesn't mean that it's truly a dead project. Perhaps it's
    > stabilized and there haven't been overwhelming requests for adding any
    > new items to it. Using PMW won't help you learn Tkinter any quicker in
    > any event. Just icing on the cake :)

    Many thanks for your reply. I was setting out to make use of the
    Manning book by Grayson. Perhaps I should just use online tutorial and
    such for learning plain-old tk first. However, I have heard good things
    about the book. Just trying to use what was already at hand.

    Paul Watson, Apr 3, 2006
  4. Paul Watson

    gregarican Guest

    Paul Watson wrote:

    > Many thanks for your reply. I was setting out to make use of the
    > Manning book by Grayson. Perhaps I should just use online tutorial and
    > such for learning plain-old tk first. However, I have heard good things
    > about the book. Just trying to use what was already at hand.

    Here's the online tutorial that provides a basic introduction to
    Tkinter --> http://www.pythonware.com/library/tkinter/introduction/. I
    found it handy. I had used Tk implementations in other languages such
    as Ruby so I had already become familiar with the overall Tk toolkit,
    but nevertheless the online Tkinter tutorial was refreshing. Wasn't
    aware of the Manning book but it sounds like a great resource as well!

    gregarican, Apr 3, 2006
  5. Paul Watson

    James Stroud Guest

    Paul Watson wrote:
    > gregarican wrote:
    >
    >> Paul Watson wrote:
    >>

    >>> Does pwm run well on Python 2.4? The last release appears to be in
    >>> 2003. The Manning discussion forum is dead.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a better path to learning and producing tkInter apps?
    >>>

    >>> Has there been any discussion of wxPython becoming part of the base
    >>> Python distro? A requirement here is to not require download/install of
    >>> anything other than the Python release.

    >> I can't vouch for Python 2.4, but I used the PMW library pretty
    >> extensively for an app that is based on Python 2.3. Tkinker itself
    >> offers most of the basic widgets that any Tk implementation does, and
    >> there's an online guide (can't recall the URL right now) to Tkinter
    >> that is great for an introduction tutorial. PMW is an add-on to Tkinter
    >> that is useful if there are specific widgets that you need that basic
    >> Tkinter doesn't provide and you don't feel like creating them from
    >> scratch. Just because it doesn't have a new release in the past couple
    >> of years doesn't mean that it's truly a dead project. Perhaps it's
    >> stabilized and there haven't been overwhelming requests for adding any
    >> new items to it. Using PMW won't help you learn Tkinter any quicker in
    >> any event. Just icing on the cake :)

    > Many thanks for your reply. I was setting out to make use of the
    > Manning book by Grayson. Perhaps I should just use online tutorial and
    > such for learning plain-old tk first. However, I have heard good things
    > about the book. Just trying to use what was already at hand.

    If you want to write full-featured GUI apps with Tkinter, Grayson is
    your best bet. Lundh's tutorial is excellent as a reference, but, last I
    checked, was not as extensive as Grayson in terms of teaching new users.

    Also, PMW is relatively heavy-weight, so make sure the Python standard
    library doesn't already do what you want before including PMW (e.g.
    ScrolledText, etc.).

    James

    --
    James Stroud