Is Python as capable as Perl for sysadmin work?

Jeff Shannon

Courageous said:
*checks self to see if self is wearing rose colored glasses*

assert(self.glasses.color != 'rose')

;)

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International

Richie Hindle

[Steve]
Was it INTERCAL that had the COMEFROM <Line number> statement instead of
GOTO? I REALLY like the idea of a COMEFROM statement. I think python should
have a COMEFROM statement

It does - see http://entrian.com/goto/

(In case you doubt it: yes, it works, but note that it doesn't work at the
interactive prompt, only in a real source file.)

(The fact that I felt obliged to add the first paragraph on that page is
the funniest part of the whole thing. I really did have people genuinely
thanking me for the module, asking for features, asking for help with
using it, and so on.)

Nick Coghlan

Richie said:
[Steve]
Was it INTERCAL that had the COMEFROM <Line number> statement instead of
GOTO? I REALLY like the idea of a COMEFROM statement. I think python should
have a COMEFROM statement

It does - see http://entrian.com/goto/

(In case you doubt it: yes, it works, but note that it doesn't work at the
interactive prompt, only in a real source file.)

(The fact that I felt obliged to add the first paragraph on that page is
the funniest part of the whole thing. I really did have people genuinely
thanking me for the module, asking for features, asking for help with
using it, and so on.)

That module is. . .
a) impressive
b) very, very, wrong