is python more popular than coldfusion?

worzel

is python more popular than coldfusion?

I realsie that is a very general question as one thing does not directly relate to the other. My issue is that I am ditching coldfusion due to there being next to no work for it, and I am thinking of taking on python as a second language to java in the hope of improving my resume.

worzel

How seriuosly do folk take the TIOBE index? Is it a good way to ague what
you should be keeping up to speed with or just a 'vague' guide?

Premshree Pillai

How seriuosly do folk take the TIOBE index? Is it a good way to ague what
you should be keeping up to speed with or just a 'vague' guide?

I use the TIOBE index -- sometimes -- when I give presentations on
Python (and Ruby) to people who haven't heard of the languages.

The index is not something to be relied upon (take a look at the
calculation mechanism). However, more often than not, the indices
seems to reflect what *I* perceive the indices are in reality. So I
kinda use them.

The thing about introducing a "new" language to a bunch of folks used
to their "favorite" language is that they wouldn't care much for a
language it isn't popular, or if it isn't "growing in popularity".

Beyond these things, I don't think anybody uses the index. I mean I
wouldn't tell people to learn languages that hold the top position on
TIOBE ;).

worzel

Wth respect to coldfusion, is there much doubt about the fact that Python is
a more prominent and important technology?

How is colfusion percieved by the Python community? Many people belive
coldfusion is becomeing irrelavant and is on its death bed - do Python folk
generally feel this way about it?

Thanks for your input on this by the way.

Premshree Pillai

Wth respect to coldfusion, is there much doubt about the fact that Python is
a more prominent and important technology?

No doubt in my mind at least.
How is colfusion percieved by the Python community? Many people belive
coldfusion is becomeing irrelavant and is on its death bed - do Python folk
generally feel this way about it?

I have no much idea about Coldfusion, but as far as its *use* is
concerned, it definitely isn't much.

beliavsky

is python more popular than coldfusion?
I realsie that is a very general question as one thing does not directly
relate to the other. My issue is that I am ditching coldfusion due to
there being next to no work for it, and I am thinking of taking on
python as a second language to java in the hope of improving my
resume.

For your specific purpose of learning a language to get a job, I
suggest visiting the site http://mshiltonj.com/sm/categories/languages/
, where it appears that Python is mentioned about as often as Fortran
or Ada in job listings at dice.com . Apart from Java, two languages in
demand are C++ and Visual Basic. C++ may be easier to learn along with
Java since the syntax is similar, but VB is a very easy language to
learn and use.

beliavsky

OTOH,

Here are the numbers for Average Salary by Languages Used (2 numbers,
staff and management) in ascending order from the 2004 Salary Survey
from Software Development Magazine. I am surprised that there is so
little variation across languages: 13 out of 22 are in the $81-$85K
range. But Python IS tied for first. This may indicate that the
relatively small number of jobs listing Python as a requirement is due
in part to a relatively small supply of Python programmers, not lack of
demand for such programmers.

Delphi/Object Pascal $76K $96K
Cobol $76K $95K
EDI $78K $98K
..NET $79K $98K
Oracle/SQL Server/Sybase/database $80K $100K
SAP/PeopleSoft/Oracle/ERP $81K $100K
C# $81K $100K
Perl/Javascript/PHP/scripting $81K $100K
Lotus Notes/groupware $82K $101K
Java $83K $102K
Fortran $83K $102K
C++ $84K $103K
JavaBeans/ActiveX/component $84K $101K
C $84K $104K
Ada $84K $105K
Biztalk/Crossworlds/bus. integration $84K $99K
SOAP $85K $103K
J2EE $85K $105K
CORBA/COM/middleware $87K $106K
J2ME $88K $104K
Python $89K $105K
Java messaging $89K $106K

Paul Rubin

But Python IS tied for first. This may indicate that the
relatively small number of jobs listing Python as a requirement is due
in part to a relatively small supply of Python programmers, not lack of
demand for such programmers.

I think it mostly means Python programmers tend to be further up the
overall experience and proficiency scale than, say, .NET programmers.

Luis M. Gonzalez

worzel said:
Wth respect to coldfusion, is there much doubt about the fact that Python is
a more prominent and important technology?

How is colfusion percieved by the Python community? Many people belive
coldfusion is becomeing irrelavant and is on its death bed - do Python folk
generally feel this way about it?

I think this is a little bit like comparing oranges to apples...
I wouldn't say Coldfusion is a programming language. It is a tag based
scripting language designed for web development and, as such, it is
very easy to learn and use, but its application domain is limited to
the web. It comes in handy if you're a designer with no programming
skills and you want to hook your site to a database or do some easy web
development, but I think that professional developers (non-designers)
use other alternatives ranging from php (open source, free) to asp.net
(propietary -MS).

On the other hand, python is a general purpose programming language and
it can be used for almost anything you can think of. It is not just a
web scripting language.

My advice: if you want to learn something for getting a job and making
a living, forget about Coldfusion. It is ok for a web designer or for a
hobbyist who doesn't know and doesn't want to know about programming,
but who needs to get the job done with the least delay.

Now if you're serious about making a living as a programmer, and you
are willing to study and learn, (and provided you're new to
programming) I would highly recommend python as your first language.
It is very easy to learn and with it, you'll learn advanced programming
concepts quickier and easier than by studying java, for example,
because its syntax is cleaner and much more concise, easy to read and
to the point.
Then, and once you have a good grasp about the basics of programming
and object oriented concepts, you will be able to learn any other
language such as java or c# (for making big bucks).

And if you are not interested in learning another language, python
alone will make a very good general purpose programming language.
Why the way, it's also very fun!

Mike Meyer

For your specific purpose of learning a language to get a job, I
suggest visiting the site http://mshiltonj.com/sm/categories/languages/
, where it appears that Python is mentioned about as often as Fortran
or Ada in job listings at dice.com . Apart from Java, two languages in
demand are C++ and Visual Basic. C++ may be easier to learn along with
Java since the syntax is similar, but VB is a very easy language to
learn and use.

SQL is also in pretty high demand in the places I watch. Problem is,
they usually want *specific* SQL variants, so it's a fragmented
market.

<mike

Premshree Pillai

SQL is also in pretty high demand in the places I watch. Problem is,

Umm, but SQL is not a _programming_ language. If you're job requires
DB stuff, knowledge of SQL would probably be a requisite, but SQL
alone, of course, won't do much good.

worzel

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

It seems CF is not really a big money earner or even recognised as a serious language to many folk.

by the way, does anybody want to buy any coldfusion books :)

(I just bought O'Reileys 'Learning Python' - its extremely readable and very thorough)

is python more popular than coldfusion?

I realsie that is a very general question as one thing does not directly relate to the other. My issue is that I am ditching coldfusion due to there being next to no work for it, and I am thinking of taking on python as a second language to java in the hope of improving my resume.

Luis M. Gonzalez

by the way, does anybody want to buy any coldfusion books :)

I have Sam's Teach Yourself Coldfusion by Charles Mohnike, which I
bought in 2001.
By this time I used to think that I was learning rocket science the
easy way, and thinking about learning php or asp was really scary...
these codes looked very complex for my uninitiated eyes.
However, It was good for grasping the logic of interacting with a
database through sql and making my website dynamic.
Soon I realized that finding a cheap CF hosting wasn't easy at all, and
I started to read about php.
Php is also for web development, but it gave me the basic knowledge to
understand programming.
However, I wanted to learn a more general purpose language and I don't
remember how, I landed in pythonland.

Let me tell you that I could learn python basics in just a few hours.
Once I got the interpreter running, I couldn't stop!
Just get one of the many tutorial available on the web and start
playing. YOU'LL SEE IT'S ADDICTIVE.

If you want to start from zero, I suggest Josh Cogliati's beginner
tutorial.
Another good introduction is A Byte of Python (google this), or any of
the ones quoted in Python's web site.

Learning Python is a good book too (especially the second edition).
Enjoy!

worzel

re:
YOU'LL SEE IT'S ADDICTIVE

Yes, I know! I am hooked already! Its such a breeze after doing so much Java
programming. I just download Jython - the possibilities with this seem
incredible.

Unlike you, I learned Coldfusion after learning Java first (about 1996). For
the sake of a couple of jobs I got on and then some training work as a
Macromedia Instructor, it was okay for a while. But, the work dried up, and
then the training became in very low demand, so I find myself looking for a
new 'second language' - Python is it! (Its in danger of becoming my 'first
language' as I am enjoying it so much!)