Is Python programming language?

gmspro

Hello all,

One said, Python is not programming language, rather scripting language, is that true?

Thanks.

rusi

Hello all,

One said, Python is not programming language, rather scripting language, is that true?

Thanks.

One said: English is the language spoken in England.
Another One said: English is the language internationally used for
commerce, academics and much else.

Who is 'true'? Is one false because the other is true?

[Amusing that this is being said at the same time as a necroposted
thread about the multi-meanings of bool in python]

More seriously: Python is one of the first serious programming
languages and scripting languages.
Those who think that one excludes the other are probably learnt their
programming/CS half a century ago and stopped learning soon after.

For many such mis-takes in CS education see my:
http://blog.languager.org/2011/02/cs-education-is-fat-and-weak-1.html
and its sequel
http://blog.languager.org/2011/02/cs-education-is-fat-and-weak-2.html

Ulrich Eckhardt

Am 08.02.2013 14:03, schrieb gmspro:
One said, Python is not programming language, rather scripting language, is that true?

That depends on your definition of scripting language and programming
language.

Python's not a language but an animal.

Uli

Steven D'Aprano

gmspro said:
Hello all,

One said, Python is not programming language, rather scripting language,
is that true?

Python is a high-level, object-oriented, strongly-typed programming language
with garbage collection, byte-code compilation, dynamic types, and syntax
that includes OOP, procedural and functional styles.

It is an excellent glue language for libraries written in C, C++, Fortran,
Java and CLR (dot-Net). It is also good for scripting. But that doesn't
mean it is only a scripting language.

Calling Python a scripting language is like calling an iPad "a clock", just
because it has a clock app. Yes, you can use your iPad to tell the time,
and that makes it a clock. But it's not *just* a clock, and Python is not
*just* a scripting language.

Mark Lawrence

One said: English is the language spoken in England.

Wrong, English is spoken in some parts of England but I've no idea what
you'd call the language used in Newcastle upon Tyne.