    Hello all,

    One said, Python is not programming language, rather scripting language, is that true?

    Thanks.

    gmspro, Feb 8, 2013

  2. gmspro

    rusi Guest

    On Feb 8, 6:03 pm, gmspro <> wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > One said, Python is not programming language, rather scripting language, is that true?
    >
    > Thanks.

    One said: English is the language spoken in England.
    Another One said: English is the language internationally used for
    commerce, academics and much else.

    Who is 'true'? Is one false because the other is true?

    [Amusing that this is being said at the same time as a necroposted
    thread about the multi-meanings of bool in python]

    More seriously: Python is one of the first serious programming
    languages and scripting languages.
    Those who think that one excludes the other are probably learnt their
    programming/CS half a century ago and stopped learning soon after.

    For many such mis-takes in CS education see my:
    http://blog.languager.org/2011/02/cs-education-is-fat-and-weak-1.html
    and its sequel
    http://blog.languager.org/2011/02/cs-education-is-fat-and-weak-2.html

    rusi, Feb 8, 2013

  3. Am 08.02.2013 14:03, schrieb gmspro:
    > One said, Python is not programming language, rather scripting language, is that true?

    That depends on your definition of scripting language and programming
    language.

    Python's not a language but an animal.

    Uli

    Ulrich Eckhardt, Feb 8, 2013
  4. gmspro wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > One said, Python is not programming language, rather scripting language,
    > is that true?

    Python is a high-level, object-oriented, strongly-typed programming language
    with garbage collection, byte-code compilation, dynamic types, and syntax
    that includes OOP, procedural and functional styles.

    It is an excellent glue language for libraries written in C, C++, Fortran,
    Java and CLR (dot-Net). It is also good for scripting. But that doesn't
    mean it is only a scripting language.

    Calling Python a scripting language is like calling an iPad "a clock", just
    because it has a clock app. Yes, you can use your iPad to tell the time,
    and that makes it a clock. But it's not *just* a clock, and Python is not
    *just* a scripting language.

    --
    Steven

    Steven D'Aprano, Feb 8, 2013
  5. Steven D'Aprano, Feb 8, 2013
  6. On 08/02/2013 13:38, rusi wrote:
    > On Feb 8, 6:03 pm, gmspro <> wrote:
    >> Hello all,
    >>
    >> One said, Python is not programming language, rather scripting language, is that true?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > One said: English is the language spoken in England.

    Wrong, English is spoken in some parts of England but I've no idea what
    you'd call the language used in Newcastle upon Tyne.

    --
    Cheers.

    Mark Lawrence

    Mark Lawrence, Feb 8, 2013