    scripting tool based on Jython)

    Thanks for your hints.

    Simon
    Simon SSt, Jul 15, 2010

  2. On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 09:36:25 +0200, Simon SSt wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Never too late to discover a new language :)
    >
    > I hope anybody could help me answering my questions. I'm a technical
    > consultant for a software editor. Our software is running on the UNIX
    > (solaris 10 / AIX 5L), Sybase 15.x / Oracle 10G , Weblogic Server 9.x
    > and 10.x.
    >
    > I'd like to know if Python is suitable for helping me: Monitoring the
    > UNIX box?

    You're probably better off using existing tools like Nagios and Munin
    rather than trying to reinvent the wheel. But yes, Python is a fine
    language for tasks like that. Server monitoring is an awfully big wheel
    to reinvent though; you should have a good reason for not using an
    existing, well-tested and supported product.

    > Get some metrics from Sybase and Oracle?

    Google blocked where you are?

    http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/articles/prez-python-queries.html
    http://wiki.oracle.com/page/Python

    If you've got specific questions that you couldn't answer by googling,
    you should say so.

    > Get JMX metrics from Weblogic
    > Server (Weblogic Server is provided with a scripting tool based on
    > Jython)

    That's a pretty good hint. Are you aware that Jython is Python
    implemented in Java instead of C? In other words, Jython *is* Python.

    --
    Steven
    Steven D'Aprano, Jul 15, 2010

  3. Simon SSt

    Simon SSt Guest

    Le 15/07/2010 14:26, Steven D'Aprano a écrit :
    > On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 09:36:25 +0200, Simon SSt wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Never too late to discover a new language :)
    >>
    >> I hope anybody could help me answering my questions. I'm a technical
    >> consultant for a software editor. Our software is running on the UNIX
    >> (solaris 10 / AIX 5L), Sybase 15.x / Oracle 10G , Weblogic Server 9.x
    >> and 10.x.
    >>
    >> I'd like to know if Python is suitable for helping me: Monitoring the
    >> UNIX box?

    > You're probably better off using existing tools like Nagios and Munin
    > rather than trying to reinvent the wheel. But yes, Python is a fine
    > language for tasks like that. Server monitoring is an awfully big wheel
    > to reinvent though; you should have a good reason for not using an
    > existing, well-tested and supported product.
    >

    >> Get some metrics from Sybase and Oracle?

    > Google blocked where you are?
    >
    > http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/articles/prez-python-queries.html
    > http://wiki.oracle.com/page/Python
    >
    > If you've got specific questions that you couldn't answer by googling,
    > you should say so.
    >

    >> Get JMX metrics from Weblogic
    >> Server (Weblogic Server is provided with a scripting tool based on
    >> Jython)

    > That's a pretty good hint. Are you aware that Jython is Python
    > implemented in Java instead of C? In other words, Jython *is* Python.

    Regarding the System monitoring, I agree there are plenty of excellent
    solution and I shouldn't reinventing the wheel. I just want a script
    that will give me some info regarding the system state that I can use at
    any client site...but this monitoring part isn't my priority.

    Regarding the DB, thanks for your link I'll look at them thoroughly.

    And finally for JMX, yes I know about Jython so I'll investigate it.

    Thanks

    -----
    Simon
    Simon SSt, Jul 15, 2010