Is python suitable for my needs?

Simon SSt

Hi,

Never too late to discover a new language :)

I hope anybody could help me answering my questions. I'm a technical
consultant for a software editor. Our software is running on the UNIX
(solaris 10 / AIX 5L), Sybase 15.x / Oracle 10G , Weblogic Server 9.x
and 10.x.

I'd like to know if Python is suitable for helping me:
Monitoring the UNIX box?
Get some metrics from Sybase and Oracle?
Get JMX metrics from Weblogic Server (Weblogic Server is provided with a
scripting tool based on Jython)

Thanks for your hints.

Simon

Steven D'Aprano

Hi,

Never too late to discover a new language :)

I hope anybody could help me answering my questions. I'm a technical
consultant for a software editor. Our software is running on the UNIX
(solaris 10 / AIX 5L), Sybase 15.x / Oracle 10G , Weblogic Server 9.x
and 10.x.

I'd like to know if Python is suitable for helping me: Monitoring the
UNIX box?

You're probably better off using existing tools like Nagios and Munin
rather than trying to reinvent the wheel. But yes, Python is a fine
language for tasks like that. Server monitoring is an awfully big wheel
to reinvent though; you should have a good reason for not using an
existing, well-tested and supported product.

Get some metrics from Sybase and Oracle?

Google blocked where you are?

http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/articles/prez-python-queries.html
http://wiki.oracle.com/page/Python

If you've got specific questions that you couldn't answer by googling,
you should say so.

Get JMX metrics from Weblogic
Server (Weblogic Server is provided with a scripting tool based on
Jython)

That's a pretty good hint. Are you aware that Jython is Python
implemented in Java instead of C? In other words, Jython *is* Python.

Simon SSt

Le 15/07/2010 14:26, Steven D'Aprano a écrit :
You're probably better off using existing tools like Nagios and Munin
rather than trying to reinvent the wheel. But yes, Python is a fine
language for tasks like that. Server monitoring is an awfully big wheel
to reinvent though; you should have a good reason for not using an
existing, well-tested and supported product.

Google blocked where you are?

http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/articles/prez-python-queries.html
http://wiki.oracle.com/page/Python

If you've got specific questions that you couldn't answer by googling,
you should say so.

That's a pretty good hint. Are you aware that Jython is Python
implemented in Java instead of C? In other words, Jython *is* Python.
Regarding the System monitoring, I agree there are plenty of excellent
solution and I shouldn't reinventing the wheel. I just want a script
that will give me some info regarding the system state that I can use at
any client site...but this monitoring part isn't my priority.

Regarding the DB, thanks for your link I'll look at them thoroughly.

And finally for JMX, yes I know about Jython so I'll investigate it.

Thanks