Is readline really broken in MacOS Snow Leopard!?!?!

TomTom III

It seems that readline (and hence gets) is broken in Ruby 1.8.7, on Mac
OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard). According to the article here:
http://blog.angelbob.com/posts/39-C...werBook-G4-with-Mac-OS-X-1-4---published-ruby,
it says "Newer versions of the readline library prepend an "rl_" in
front of function names".

Before I go to the trouble of removing Ruby and downloading, then
building Ruby from source, I wanted to ask if anyone here has another
method of fixing it?

Thanks,
Tom

Ben Bleything

It seems that readline (and hence gets) is broken in Ruby 1.8.7, on Mac
OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard). According to the article here:
http://blog.angelbob.com/posts/39-C...werBook-G4-with-Mac-OS-X-1-4---published-ruby,
it says "Newer versions of the readline library prepend an "rl_" in
front of function names".

Uh, Snow Leopard is 10.6. That article is about 10.4. Snow Leopard
ships with 1.8.7 built-in with a working Readline... note that it may
not actually use readline internally, but it is functionally
equivalent.

Bottom line: shouldn't need to do anything.

Ben

Ryan Davis

= http://blog.angelbob.com/posts/39-Compiling-Ruby-1-8-7-on-a-PowerBook-G4-w=
ith-Mac-OS-X-1-4---published-ruby,
it says "Newer versions of the readline library prepend an "rl_" in
front of function names".
=20
Before I go to the trouble of removing Ruby and downloading, then
building Ruby from source, I wanted to ask if anyone here has another
method of fixing it?

you DO know that 10.6 ships with ruby 1.8.7, right? and it works, right? =
and you shouldn't remove the stock ruby because it'll just come back on =
updates... right?

Jose Hales-Garcia

Before I go to the trouble of removing Ruby and downloading, then
building Ruby from source

There's no need to remove the vendor version since, by default, an =
installation of Ruby will go in /usr/local. You just need to put =
/usr/local/bin ahead of /usr/bin in your PATH variable to call your =
custom version by default. But, you should be including full paths to =
commands in your scripts anyway, for security and sanity reasons.

Jose
Jose Hales-Garcia
UCLA Department of Statistics
(e-mail address removed)

TomTom III

Jose said:
There's no need to remove the vendor version since, by default, an
installation of Ruby will go in /usr/local. You just need to put
/usr/local/bin ahead of /usr/bin in your PATH variable to call your
custom version by default. But, you should be including full paths to
commands in your scripts anyway, for security and sanity reasons.

Jose
Jose Hales-Garcia
UCLA Department of Statistics
(e-mail address removed)

Yes, I know 10.6 is Snow Leopard, and 1.8.7 came with it. I am wondering
if something I installed afterward could have broken it? I've installed
a few add-ons via github, but figured they have been well tried.

Maybe I should removed the development package and reinstall? Or is
there a place I can review what was installed and when, so I could
remove the stuff I've added instead?

Thanks for all the replies.

Marnen Laibow-Koser

TomTom said:
Yes, I know 10.6 is Snow Leopard, and 1.8.7 came with it. I am wondering
if something I installed afterward could have broken it? I've installed
a few add-ons via github, but figured they have been well tried.

Maybe I should removed the development package and reinstall? Or is
there a place I can review what was installed and when, so I could
remove the stuff I've added instead?

Thanks for all the replies.

Just follow the instructions at
http://henrik.nyh.se/2008/03/irb-readline .