    method of fixing it?

    Thanks,
    Tom
    TomTom III, Feb 2, 2010

  2. On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 8:15 PM, TomTom III <> wrote:
    > It seems that readline (and hence gets) is broken in Ruby 1.8.7, on Mac
    > OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard). According to the article here:
    > http://blog.angelbob.com/posts/39-C...werBook-G4-with-Mac-OS-X-1-4---published-ruby,
    > it says "Newer versions of the readline library prepend an "rl_" in
    > front of function names".

    Uh, Snow Leopard is 10.6. That article is about 10.4. Snow Leopard
    ships with 1.8.7 built-in with a working Readline... note that it may
    not actually use readline internally, but it is functionally
    equivalent.

    Bottom line: shouldn't need to do anything.

    Ben
    Ben Bleything, Feb 2, 2010

  3. TomTom III

    Ryan Davis Guest

    http://blog.angelbob.com/posts/39-Compiling-Ruby-1-8-7-on-a-PowerBook-G4-w=
    ith-Mac-OS-X-1-4---published-ruby,
    > it says "Newer versions of the readline library prepend an "rl_" in
    > front of function names".
    >=20
    > Before I go to the trouble of removing Ruby and downloading, then
    > building Ruby from source, I wanted to ask if anyone here has another
    > method of fixing it?

    you DO know that 10.6 ships with ruby 1.8.7, right? and it works, right? =
    and you shouldn't remove the stock ruby because it'll just come back on =
    updates... right?
    Ryan Davis, Feb 2, 2010
  4. On Feb 1, 2010, at 8:15 PM, TomTom III wrote:

    > Before I go to the trouble of removing Ruby and downloading, then
    > building Ruby from source

    There's no need to remove the vendor version since, by default, an =
    installation of Ruby will go in /usr/local. You just need to put =
    /usr/local/bin ahead of /usr/bin in your PATH variable to call your =
    custom version by default. But, you should be including full paths to =
    commands in your scripts anyway, for security and sanity reasons.

    Jose
    Jose Hales-Garcia
    UCLA Department of Statistics
    Jose Hales-Garcia, Feb 2, 2010
  5. TomTom III

    TomTom III Guest

    Jose Hales-Garcia wrote:
    > On Feb 1, 2010, at 8:15 PM, TomTom III wrote:
    >
    >> Before I go to the trouble of removing Ruby and downloading, then
    >> building Ruby from source

    > There's no need to remove the vendor version since, by default, an
    > installation of Ruby will go in /usr/local. You just need to put
    > /usr/local/bin ahead of /usr/bin in your PATH variable to call your
    > custom version by default. But, you should be including full paths to
    > commands in your scripts anyway, for security and sanity reasons.
    >
    > Jose
    > Jose Hales-Garcia
    > UCLA Department of Statistics

    Yes, I know 10.6 is Snow Leopard, and 1.8.7 came with it. I am wondering
    if something I installed afterward could have broken it? I've installed
    a few add-ons via github, but figured they have been well tried.

    Maybe I should removed the development package and reinstall? Or is
    there a place I can review what was installed and when, so I could
    remove the stuff I've added instead?

    Thanks for all the replies.
    TomTom III, Feb 2, 2010
  6. TomTom III wrote:
    > Jose Hales-Garcia wrote:
    >> On Feb 1, 2010, at 8:15 PM, TomTom III wrote:
    >>
    >>> Before I go to the trouble of removing Ruby and downloading, then
    >>> building Ruby from source

    >> There's no need to remove the vendor version since, by default, an
    >> installation of Ruby will go in /usr/local. You just need to put
    >> /usr/local/bin ahead of /usr/bin in your PATH variable to call your
    >> custom version by default. But, you should be including full paths to
    >> commands in your scripts anyway, for security and sanity reasons.
    >>
    >> Jose
    >> Jose Hales-Garcia
    >> UCLA Department of Statistics
    >>

    > Yes, I know 10.6 is Snow Leopard, and 1.8.7 came with it. I am wondering
    > if something I installed afterward could have broken it? I've installed
    > a few add-ons via github, but figured they have been well tried.
    >
    > Maybe I should removed the development package and reinstall? Or is
    > there a place I can review what was installed and when, so I could
    > remove the stuff I've added instead?
    >
    > Thanks for all the replies.

    Just follow the instructions at
    http://henrik.nyh.se/2008/03/irb-readline .