    have the results given to the webserver and then it gets served out to
    the user? How would I accomplish something like that? Php? 3rd party
    software? Please let me know. Thank you so much!

    Gene Ellis, Apr 23, 2004

  2. Gene Ellis wrote:

    > Our sys op won't/can't install the server side XSLT libraries, to
    > allow us perform server-side translations on our webserver It is a
    > Linux machine. Is it possible to put the XML and XSL files on a
    > different machine and have the translation take place there and then
    > have the results given to the webserver and then it gets served out to
    > the user? How would I accomplish something like that? Php? 3rd party
    > software? Please let me know. Thank you so much!

    Well, you would need server side processing on your first server but of
    course it could then make a http request to another server for the XSLT
    transformation and read the response and send it to the client.
    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

    Martin Honnen, Apr 24, 2004

  3. Gene Ellis

    Lee Jackson Guest

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 15:03:37 -0700, Gene Ellis wrote:

    > Our sys op won't/can't install the server side XSLT libraries, to
    > allow us perform server-side translations on our webserver It is a
    > Linux machine.

    BOFH? Can you even get him/her/it to install LibXML/LibXSL and Perl/PHP
    bindings for them? If you can then you can at least do the transformations
    on that server via Perl/PHP et al.

    > Is it possible to put the XML and XSL files on a
    > different machine and have the translation take place there and then
    > have the results given to the webserver and then it gets served out to
    > the user? How would I accomplish something like that? Php? 3rd party
    > software? Please let me know. Thank you so much!

    Of course it is - look up RPC, SOAP etc. However why not just have a
    seperate webserver (xml.whatever.com) and host the XML / transformations
    on that box and just link to them from your main server? No need for your
    primary webserver to even serve the files out and you get the joy of
    getting your sys-admin to add another box to their workload :)

    Lee Jackson, Apr 24, 2004
  4. Gene Ellis

    Guest Guest

    The answer to your question is yes.

    http://www.remoteserver.com/apage.php?xml=bleah&xsl=heh

    The only problem here is that a - the security trust between the 2 servers
    How is the Remote Page going to know what your xml/xslt files are
    you could either a) post them or
    b) provide a trusted url for themto be downloaded from -

    Then once the source files are on the remote server you can transform them
    and spit back the contents and then this will be returned by the user

    Guest, Apr 24, 2004
  5. Gene Ellis

    Saqib Ali Guest

    > Linux machine. Is it possible to put the XML and XSL files on a
    > different machine and have the translation take place there and then
    > have the results given to the webserver and then it gets served out to
    > the user? How would I accomplish something like that? Php? 3rd party

    1)
    hmm. I am not sure why you would want to transfer the results from one
    server to another. Just let the XML server display the results as
    well. If you are concerned about user authentication, look into CDSSO
    (Cross Domain Single Sign-on). CDSSO is much better way to handle this
    situation, then to transfer data between 2 servers. Transferring data
    between server always introduces security risks.

    2)
    On the other if you just want to have XML content reside on one server
    and the translation engine on a different, look into Apache Cocoon.

    Here is an example of how Apache Cocoon can get XML content from a
    remote URI, and perform translation.

    http://www.xml-dev.com:8080/tldp/http://www.jesuislibre.org/docbook/xml/xml.xml
    (Watch for line wraps)

    more examples here: http://www.xml-dev.com/blog/#88