Is Session Always Cleared?

Jonathan Wood

Greetings,

I was wondering if anyone here has a good understaning of the Session
object. I know there are options like the Session.Abandon method and the
regenerateExpiredSessionId setting, although I do not understand what they
do.

Can anyone tell me if it's possible for a recycled session to still contain
the old data? I had a couple of reports that where users said they logged on
and saw another user's data. On this site, there were a couple of cases
where I used the Session object to track information about the current user.

Thanks for any tips or links.

Jonathan

Göran Andersson

Jonathan said:
Greetings,

I was wondering if anyone here has a good understaning of the Session
object. I know there are options like the Session.Abandon method and the
regenerateExpiredSessionId setting, although I do not understand what
they do.

Can anyone tell me if it's possible for a recycled session to still
contain the old data? I had a couple of reports that where users said
they logged on and saw another user's data. On this site, there were a
couple of cases where I used the Session object to track information
about the current user.

Thanks for any tips or links.

Jonathan

The session id is stored in a cookie in the browser, and is matched
against the existing Session objects on the server.

If a Session object has timed out, it's gone forever. If an expired
session id is reused, a new empty Session object is created for it.

A session id could possible be spoofed, but that is hardly what your
users are doing, so the Session objects are most likely not the reason
why some user could see some other users data.

Are you using any static variables in your application?

Jonathan Wood

The session id is stored in a cookie in the browser, and is matched
against the existing Session objects on the server.

If a Session object has timed out, it's gone forever. If an expired
session id is reused, a new empty Session object is created for it.

A session id could possible be spoofed, but that is hardly what your users
are doing, so the Session objects are most likely not the reason why some
user could see some other users data.

Yeah, no one is trying to hack the site. So, as far as you are concerned,
one session would never see the Session data used by another user?
Are you using any static variables in your application?

No, I store any persisting data in the Session object or the database. It's
the first big site I created (although I've been programming for many, many
years). I'm now prepared to review my code in detail but, to be honest, I
really have no idea what this could be.

Note that, normally, the site works exactly as expected.

Thanks.

Jonathan

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Your problem is not session. It is more likely you have a cache issue, a
singleton, static variables or the users are using the same computer.
Perhaps you have something stored in application, or you have tried some
form of global object. The session, used as a place to hang session data, is
not a problem.

Jonathan Wood

Thanks for the additional vote of confidence on Session.

There is a slight possibility that at least one of the users did log on as
other users. I will quiz them on if they might have logged on as the users
whose data they saw when they logged on as themselves.

I don't know that's the issue but I'll explore it. Is there as straight
forward way to allow multiple users to log on from the same computer?

Jonathan

Hans Kesting

Jonathan Wood explained :
Thanks for the additional vote of confidence on Session.

There is a slight possibility that at least one of the users did log on as
other users. I will quiz them on if they might have logged on as the users
whose data they saw when they logged on as themselves.

I don't know that's the issue but I'll explore it. Is there as straight
forward way to allow multiple users to log on from the same computer?

Jonathan

What exactly do you mean by "multiple users logging in from the same
computer"?

If there is just one user at a time then there shouldn't be a problem.
If the first user closes his browser after he is finished, the session
cookie is forgotten. A new browser instance will use a new session.
When the first user logs out, you can destroy the session server side
(Session.Abandon).

However, two users at *the same time* from the same computer could lead
to problems. The various browser windows could use the same cookie set.
So when a second user opens a new window, he could be automatically
using the session of the first user.

I think that firefox uses the same cookieset for all it's windows. For
IE it depends on how the new window is started.

Hans Kesting

Jonathan Wood

Hans,
What exactly do you mean by "multiple users logging in from the same
computer"?

I'm sorry. It's hard to know how to better state it than that. Unless you
clarify which part is unclear.
If there is just one user at a time then there shouldn't be a problem.
If the first user closes his browser after he is finished, the session
cookie is forgotten. A new browser instance will use a new session.
When the first user logs out, you can destroy the session server side
(Session.Abandon).

Well, I don't know if it's a given that the browser was closed in between.
But even if it was, the cookie could remain after the browser is closed.
However, what if any data remains from that cookie is something I don't
know.
However, two users at *the same time* from the same computer could lead to
problems. The various browser windows could use the same cookie set. So
when a second user opens a new window, he could be automatically using the
session of the first user.

No, I'm not considering the possibility that multiple users were logging on
to the site one the same computer at the same time.
I think that firefox uses the same cookieset for all it's windows. For IE
it depends on how the new window is started.

In fact, the case where I have the most information about the problem (which
isn't much) is specifically on FireFox. But I still don't see how this could
be an issue.

Thanks.

Jonathan

Hans Kesting

Hans,

I'm sorry. It's hard to know how to better state it than that. Unless you
clarify which part is unclear.

I gave some possibilities below
Well, I don't know if it's a given that the browser was closed in between.
But even if it was, the cookie could remain after the browser is closed.
However, what if any data remains from that cookie is something I don't know.

The session cookie has no expiry-date so the browser treats it as a
temporary cookie. It does not get stored and disappears as soon as the
browser is closed.
No, I'm not considering the possibility that multiple users were logging on
to the site one the same computer at the same time.

In fact, the case where I have the most information about the problem (which
isn't much) is specifically on FireFox. But I still don't see how this could
be an issue.

A guess: the first user did not log out and did not close his browser
window, but minimised it. The second user thought he started a fresh
instance of the browser but got a new window of the first instance,
with the session cookie (and thus the session) of the first user.

Jonathan Wood

Hans,
The session cookie has no expiry-date so the browser treats it as a
temporary cookie. It does not get stored and disappears as soon as the
browser is closed.

So what do you know about what happens if the browse is not closed? If the
user enters their username and password, can you think of any way they'd
still see data from the previous login?
A guess: the first user did not log out and did not close his browser
window, but minimised it. The second user thought he started a fresh
instance of the browser but got a new window of the first instance, with
the session cookie (and thus the session) of the first user.

But it seems quite certain that the second user (actually, it's one person
but I'll leave the details out) logged in using the Login control. Can you
think of any way that could happen without resetting the session?

Thanks.

Jonathan

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

What normally happens in these scenarios is user 2 (or user 1 logging in as
user 2) spawns a second browser instance using File >> N (or control + N).
This puts the second instance in the process space for the first instance.
They then use the site under that context and switch back to context 1. Or
user 1 comes back and instance 1 is still open.

You see it a lot in testing and have to train testers to open a new browser
instance from the start menu. This is especially true in "manager testing".

In these cases, you are grabbing the same session.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Open a browser instance. Log in.

Type Control + N. Log in in the second browser instance. As both are held in
the same process space, the second browser affects what goes on in the first
browser instance. Try it yourself.

There are a few ways to circumvent this, like forcing a session abandon when
the login page is hit, warning on log in (may hav eto be generic), but the
best way is called User Education.

If the user has to run as two people at one time (a manager testing your
work, for example), tell them to start both browser instances this way:

Start >> Internet Explorer

Then each holds its own process space and they will not share session. They
can also use this method:

Start >> Internet Explorer
Start >> Firefox
Start >> Opera
Start >> Safari

and test four users at once.

Now that I know the issue, I am very familiar with it. And unless the user
logs out every time and forces session.abandon, it will continue to happen.

If this is your type of user, I would also disable the back button. The
easiest way is to use JavaScript to go forward one page in history. Then
back takes them back to the current page. There are other tricks to do this.

Jonathan Wood

Heh, well "user education" is seldom an available option.

After talking with the client, it seems unlikely that the data he
inadvertantly saw was not for an account that he had recently logged into.
In fact, someone else reported the problem who does not have access to any
other accounts.

I'm officially completely baffled as to how this could ever happen.

Thanks.