is smart to use frames approach

les

Hello,

I just wonder what are the implications to use frames to build portal. I've
seen some sites that are quite fast with frames but I just wonder if there
are hidden "costs".
I've tried to use in the past and I run into a lot of problems when I worked
with environment where there were frame and no frames pages using ASP.NET.

Please let me know if frames are OK to use for serious portal.

Thank you,
Les

Elliot Rodriguez

Les:

The only thing Ive come across when using frames (specifically IFRAMES) are
either
a) browsers that dont support them (that amount is negligible, so this isnt
really a worry)
b) browsers that implement them differently (this IS something to think
about. Between Netscape and IE, as well as between different versions of
Netscape).
c) speed (multiple pages being served per "parent" page request. Caching
will resolve this nicely.

For example, I just noticed some odd IFRAME behavior related to the width
and height attributes for the IFRAME tag between Netscape 7 and 7.1 . Go
figure.

If used properly, IFRAMES can really be effective, in my opinion.