From: bleachbot <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.perl.misc
Subject: cmsg cancel
<05ac600c-8b78-4014-b3d2-ef676d98bce6@x16g2000prn.googlegroups.com>
Control: cancel
<05ac600c-8b78-4014-b3d2-ef676d98bce6@x16g2000prn.googlegroups.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 20:49:53 +0100
Sender: "www.iofferkicks.com" <[email protected]>
</quote>
(** seems to be different in each one from this poster.)

And more recently:

<quote>
From: udpbot <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.perl.misc
Subject: cmsg cancel <[email protected]>
Control: cancel <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 02:28:40 +0100
Sender: Jonni <[email protected]>
</quote>

The ones from "bleachbot" are what I've been seeing for a while now, and the
ones from "udpbot" seems to have just started. "bleachbot" seems to somehow
be doing it from Google groups -- I didn't even know that was
possible??!! -- and "udpbot"'s appear to originate from superfeed.net...

I would simply like to know what the hell is going on... is this group in
any danager from being deleted (canceled) from any servers... seems my
server (at&t) is still carrying it. Even if these are bogus, isn't there
anything that can be done? I know the nntp-posting-host seems to change each
time, so I don't if any real tracing can be done... it's akin to
mass-spamming using botnets or something similar.

Tim Greer

Rom said:
Over the past couple months or so, I've been seeing messages like the
following in the thread list here:

<quote>
From: bleachbot <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.perl.misc

From: udpbot <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.perl.misc
Control: cancel <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 02:28:40 +0100
Sender: Jonni <[email protected]>
</quote>

The ones from "bleachbot" are what I've been seeing for a while now,
and the ones from "udpbot" seems to have just started. "bleachbot"
seems to somehow be doing it from Google groups -- I didn't even know
that was possible??!! -- and "udpbot"'s appear to originate from
superfeed.net...

I would simply like to know what the hell is going on... is this group
in any danager from being deleted (canceled) from any servers... seems
my server (at&t) is still carrying it. Even if these are bogus, isn't
there anything that can be done? I know the nntp-posting-host seems to
change each time, so I don't if any real tracing can be done... it's
akin to mass-spamming using botnets or something similar.

Those appear to be spam postings and google groups might have removed
them, but they are still there. Also, it's canceling of the spam
posts/messages, not the actual group. The group is still alive and
well (you delete posts (cancel, supercede, etc.), not the group
itself).

Canceled spam posts/examples:

The (e-mail address removed) "poster" posted a spam with:

Re: Hyvää Joulua
From:
Jonni <[email protected]>
Date:
Saturday 10 January 2009 5:24:46 pm
Groups:
comp.lang.perl.misc

The iokicks "poster":

(WWW.spamurl.COM)nike shoes:$32,handbag:$35,NFL:$20,jeans:$30,UGG boot
$50(FREE SHIPPING)
From:
www.iofferkicks.com <[email protected]>
Date:
Friday 09 January 2009 11:49:53 am
Groups:
comp.lang.perl.misc
no references

You get the idea. There's nothing to worry about. Google isn't going
to drop the Perl news group, unless they just stop their service
altogether (though I don't know how many would actually miss it, and
some welcome it -- I do miss the old DejaNews though).

Tim Greer

From: bleachbot <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.perl.misc

From: udpbot <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.perl.misc
Control: cancel <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 02:28:40 +0100
Sender: Jonni <[email protected]>
[...]

From:
Jonni <[email protected]>
Date:

From:
www.iofferkicks.com <[email protected]>
Date:
Friday 09 January 2009 11:49:53 am
Groups:
comp.lang.perl.misc
no references

You get the idea. There's nothing to worry about. Google isn't going
to drop the Perl news group, unless they just stop their service
altogether (though I don't know how many would actually miss it, and
some welcome it -- I do miss the old DejaNews though).

Actually, re-reading it, I suppose it might not have anything to do with
google groups. Still, the reasons and worries are the same (and
there's nothing to worry about).

Tim Greer

Ugh, I didn't notice I left some of the spammer post's actual URL in
part of one of my quotes. Sorry about that.

Rom

From: bleachbot <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.perl.misc

From: udpbot <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.perl.misc
Control: cancel <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 02:28:40 +0100
Sender: Jonni <[email protected]>
[...]

Re: Hyv Joulua
From:
Jonni <[email protected]>
Date:

From:
www.iofferkicks.com <[email protected]>
Date:
Friday 09 January 2009 11:49:53 am
Groups:
comp.lang.perl.misc
no references

You get the idea. There's nothing to worry about. Google isn't going
to drop the Perl news group, unless they just stop their service
altogether (though I don't know how many would actually miss it, and
some welcome it -- I do miss the old DejaNews though).

A, silly me, yes I clearly misread those... yeah cancel is for Posts,
rmgroup (or something similar) is for group removals. I just got back from
vacation so my head hasn't quite settled, so thanks for the correction :)

Rom

Tim said:
Ugh, I didn't notice I left some of the spammer post's actual URL in
part of one of my quotes. Sorry about that.

No worries, you were just giving an example, and clearly not endorsing or
pushing it. I think it's safe to say anyone whose sucessfully passed primary
(elementary) school can see such a difference :)

Tim Greer

Rom said:
A, silly me, yes I clearly misread those... yeah cancel is for Posts,
rmgroup (or something similar) is for group removals. I just got back
from vacation so my head hasn't quite settled, so thanks for the
correction :)

What's this... "Vay-kay-shun" thing, and where would I inquire for
one? :)

Anyway, glad the mystery was solved.

George

No worries, you were just giving an example, and clearly not endorsing or
pushing it. I think it's safe to say anyone whose sucessfully passed primary
(elementary) school can see such a difference :)

Rom,

One of the spammers is apparently a finnish guy with no other audience for
his unique perspectives in science.

What you may not know is that you might expect comp.lang.perl to be the
place where you talk about perl on usenet. Not so, it's c.l.p.misc .

I wonder why that is?
--
George

You can't put democracy and freedom back into a box.
George W. Bush

Picture of the Day http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/

Peter J. Holzer

What you may not know is that you might expect comp.lang.perl to be the
place where you talk about perl on usenet. Not so, it's c.l.p.misc .

I wonder why that is?

It used to be comp.lang.perl, but at some point the group grew too
large, so it was split into several groups. When a newsgroup is split,
by convention one of the "subgroups" is named ".misc" for "general
discussions which don't fit into any of the the specialized subgroups".

comp.lang.perl doesn't exist any more, so you can't talk about perl
there.

hp

Charlton Wilbur

PJH> comp.lang.perl doesn't exist any more, so you can't talk about
PJH> perl there.

Except on poorly-configured news servers, of which there are a great
many.

Charlton