    From: bleachbot <>
    Newsgroups: comp.lang.perl.misc
    Subject: cmsg cancel
    <>
    Control: cancel
    <>
    Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 20:49:53 +0100
    Sender: "www.iofferkicks.com" <>
    <>
    </quote>
    (** seems to be different in each one from this poster.)

    And more recently:

    <quote>
    From: udpbot <>
    Newsgroups: comp.lang.perl.misc
    Control: cancel <>
    Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 02:28:40 +0100
    Sender: Jonni <>
    </quote>

    The ones from "bleachbot" are what I've been seeing for a while now, and the
    ones from "udpbot" seems to have just started. "bleachbot" seems to somehow
    be doing it from Google groups -- I didn't even know that was
    possible??!! -- and "udpbot"'s appear to originate from superfeed.net...

    I would simply like to know what the hell is going on... is this group in
    any danager from being deleted (canceled) from any servers... seems my
    server (at&t) is still carrying it. Even if these are bogus, isn't there
    anything that can be done? I know the nntp-posting-host seems to change each
    time, so I don't if any real tracing can be done... it's akin to
    mass-spamming using botnets or something similar.

    --
    Thanks, Rom.
    Rom, Jan 11, 2009

  2. Rom

    Tim Greer Guest

    Rom wrote:

    > Over the past couple months or so, I've been seeing messages like the
    > following in the thread list here:
    >
    > <quote>
    > From: bleachbot <>
    > Newsgroups: comp.lang.perl.misc
    > Subject: cmsg cancel
    > <>
    > Control: cancel
    > <>
    > Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 20:49:53 +0100
    > Sender: "www.iofferkicks.com" <>

    <>
    > [...]
    > </quote>
    > (** seems to be different in each one from this poster.)
    >

    > And more recently:
    >
    > <quote>
    > From: udpbot <>
    > Newsgroups: comp.lang.perl.misc
    > Subject: cmsg cancel <>
    > Control: cancel <>
    > Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 02:28:40 +0100
    > Sender: Jonni <>
    > </quote>
    >

    > The ones from "bleachbot" are what I've been seeing for a while now,
    > and the ones from "udpbot" seems to have just started. "bleachbot"
    > seems to somehow be doing it from Google groups -- I didn't even know
    > that was possible??!! -- and "udpbot"'s appear to originate from
    > superfeed.net...
    >
    > I would simply like to know what the hell is going on... is this group
    > in any danager from being deleted (canceled) from any servers... seems
    > my server (at&t) is still carrying it. Even if these are bogus, isn't
    > there anything that can be done? I know the nntp-posting-host seems to
    > change each time, so I don't if any real tracing can be done... it's
    > akin to mass-spamming using botnets or something similar.

    Those appear to be spam postings and google groups might have removed
    them, but they are still there. Also, it's canceling of the spam
    posts/messages, not the actual group. The group is still alive and
    well (you delete posts (cancel, supercede, etc.), not the group
    itself).

    Canceled spam posts/examples:

    The "poster" posted a spam with:

    Re: Hyvää Joulua
    From:
    Jonni <>
    Date:
    Saturday 10 January 2009 5:24:46 pm
    Groups:
    comp.lang.perl.misc

    The iokicks "poster":

    (WWW.spamurl.COM)nike shoes:$32,handbag:$35,NFL:$20,jeans:$30,UGG boot
    $50(FREE SHIPPING)
    From:
    www.iofferkicks.com <>
    Date:
    Friday 09 January 2009 11:49:53 am
    Groups:
    comp.lang.perl.misc
    no references

    You get the idea. There's nothing to worry about. Google isn't going
    to drop the Perl news group, unless they just stop their service
    altogether (though I don't know how many would actually miss it, and
    some welcome it -- I do miss the old DejaNews though).
    Tim Greer, Jan 11, 2009

  3. Rom

    Tim Greer Guest

    Tim Greer wrote:

    > Rom wrote:
    >
    >> Over the past couple months or so, I've been seeing messages like the
    >> following in the thread list here:
    >>
    >> <quote>
    >> From: bleachbot <>
    >> Newsgroups: comp.lang.perl.misc
    >> Subject: cmsg cancel
    >> <>
    >> Control: cancel
    >> <>
    >> Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 20:49:53 +0100
    >> Sender: "www.iofferkicks.com" <>

    <>
    >> [...]
    >> </quote>
    >> (** seems to be different in each one from this poster.)
    >>

    >> And more recently:
    >>
    >> <quote>
    >> From: udpbot <>
    >> Newsgroups: comp.lang.perl.misc
    >> Subject: cmsg cancel <>
    >> Control: cancel <>
    >> Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 02:28:40 +0100
    >> Sender: Jonni <>
    >> </quote>
    >>

    >> The ones from "bleachbot" are what I've been seeing for a while now,
    >> and the ones from "udpbot" seems to have just started. "bleachbot"
    >> seems to somehow be doing it from Google groups -- I didn't even know
    >> that was possible??!! -- and "udpbot"'s appear to originate from
    >> superfeed.net...
    >>
    >> I would simply like to know what the hell is going on... is this
    >> group in any danager from being deleted (canceled) from any
    >> servers... seems my server (at&t) is still carrying it. Even if these
    >> are bogus, isn't there anything that can be done? I know the
    >> nntp-posting-host seems to change each time, so I don't if any real
    >> tracing can be done... it's akin to mass-spamming using botnets or
    >> something similar.
    >>

    > Those appear to be spam postings and google groups might have removed
    > them, but they are still there. Also, it's canceling of the spam
    > posts/messages, not the actual group. The group is still alive and
    > well (you delete posts (cancel, supercede, etc.), not the group
    > itself).
    >
    > Canceled spam posts/examples:
    >
    > The "poster" posted a spam with:
    >

    > Re: Hyvää Joulua
    > From:
    > Jonni <>
    > Date:
    > Saturday 10 January 2009 5:24:46 pm
    > Groups:
    > comp.lang.perl.misc

    sfnet.harrastus.biljardi,sfnet.harrastus.perhoset,sfnet.urheilu,comp.lang.perl.misc

    > The iokicks "poster":
    >

    > (WWW.spamurl.COM)nike shoes:$32,handbag:$35,NFL:$20,jeans:$30,UGG boot
    > $50(FREE SHIPPING)
    > From:
    > www.iofferkicks.com <>
    > Date:
    > Friday 09 January 2009 11:49:53 am
    > Groups:
    > comp.lang.perl.misc
    > no references
    >

    > You get the idea. There's nothing to worry about. Google isn't going
    > to drop the Perl news group, unless they just stop their service
    > altogether (though I don't know how many would actually miss it, and
    > some welcome it -- I do miss the old DejaNews though).

    Actually, re-reading it, I suppose it might not have anything to do with
    google groups. Still, the reasons and worries are the same (and
    there's nothing to worry about).
    Tim Greer, Jan 11, 2009
  4. Rom

    Tim Greer Guest

    Ugh, I didn't notice I left some of the spammer post's actual URL in
    part of one of my quotes. Sorry about that.
    Tim Greer, Jan 11, 2009
  5. Rom

    Rom Guest

    Tim Greer wrote:
> [...]

    > $50(FREE SHIPPING)
    > From:
    > www.iofferkicks.com <>
    > Date:
    > Friday 09 January 2009 11:49:53 am
    > Groups:
    > comp.lang.perl.misc
    > no references
    >

    > You get the idea. There's nothing to worry about. Google isn't going
    > to drop the Perl news group, unless they just stop their service
    > altogether (though I don't know how many would actually miss it, and
    > some welcome it -- I do miss the old DejaNews though).
    > --
    > Tim Greer, CEO/Founder/CTO, BurlyHost.com, Inc.
    > Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Dedicated & Semi-Dedicated servers
    > and Custom Hosting. 24/7 support, 30 day guarantee, secure servers.
    > Industry's most experienced staff! -- Web Hosting With Muscle!

    A, silly me, yes I clearly misread those... yeah cancel is for Posts,
    rmgroup (or something similar) is for group removals. I just got back from
    vacation so my head hasn't quite settled, so thanks for the correction :)

    --
    Thanks, Rom.
    Rom, Jan 11, 2009
  6. Rom

    Rom Guest

    Tim Greer wrote:
    > Ugh, I didn't notice I left some of the spammer post's actual URL in
    > part of one of my quotes. Sorry about that.

    No worries, you were just giving an example, and clearly not endorsing or
    pushing it. I think it's safe to say anyone whose sucessfully passed primary
    (elementary) school can see such a difference :)

    --
    Thanks, Rom.
    Rom, Jan 11, 2009
  7. Rom

    Tim Greer Guest

    Rom wrote:

    > A, silly me, yes I clearly misread those... yeah cancel is for Posts,
    > rmgroup (or something similar) is for group removals. I just got back
    > from vacation so my head hasn't quite settled, so thanks for the
    > correction :)

    What's this... "Vay-kay-shun" thing, and where would I inquire for
    one? :)

    Anyway, glad the mystery was solved.
    Tim Greer, Jan 11, 2009
  8. Tad J McClellan, Jan 11, 2009
  9. Rom

    George Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 22:11:29 -0800, Rom wrote:

    > Tim Greer wrote:
    >> Ugh, I didn't notice I left some of the spammer post's actual URL in
    >> part of one of my quotes. Sorry about that.

    > No worries, you were just giving an example, and clearly not endorsing or
    > pushing it. I think it's safe to say anyone whose sucessfully passed primary
    > (elementary) school can see such a difference :)

    Rom,

    One of the spammers is apparently a finnish guy with no other audience for
    his unique perspectives in science.

    What you may not know is that you might expect comp.lang.perl to be the
    place where you talk about perl on usenet. Not so, it's c.l.p.misc .

    I wonder why that is?
    --
    George

    You can't put democracy and freedom back into a box.
    George W. Bush

    Picture of the Day http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/
    George, Jan 11, 2009
  10. On 2009-01-11 21:33, George <> wrote:
    > What you may not know is that you might expect comp.lang.perl to be the
    > place where you talk about perl on usenet. Not so, it's c.l.p.misc .
    >
    > I wonder why that is?

    It used to be comp.lang.perl, but at some point the group grew too
    large, so it was split into several groups. When a newsgroup is split,
    by convention one of the "subgroups" is named ".misc" for "general
    discussions which don't fit into any of the the specialized subgroups".

    comp.lang.perl doesn't exist any more, so you can't talk about perl
    there.

    hp
    Peter J. Holzer, Jan 11, 2009
  11. >>>>> "PJH" == Peter J Holzer <> writes:

    PJH> comp.lang.perl doesn't exist any more, so you can't talk about
    PJH> perl there.

    Except on poorly-configured news servers, of which there are a great
    many.

    Charlton

    --
    Charlton Wilbur