    Is the aspnet account called "aspnet" for all non-English versions of
    Windows and IIS?
    , Mar 21, 2007

  2. Yes, for Windows XP in all languages.

    For Windows 2003 Server, the aspnet account is "network service".

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ===================================
    Juan T. Llibre, Mar 22, 2007

    On Mar 22, 11:17 am, "Juan T. Llibre" <>
    wrote:
    > Yes, for Windows XP in all languages.
    >
    > For Windows 2003 Server, the aspnet account is "network service".
    >
    > Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    > asp.net faq :http://asp.net.do/faq/
    > foros de asp.net, en español :http://asp.net.do/foros/
    > ===================================
    >

    > <> wrote in messagenews:...
    > > Is the aspnet account called "aspnet" for all non-English versions of
    > > Windows and IIS?- Hide quoted text -

    Thanks for the response, Juan.

    I am actually more confused than when I started, since the "Network
    Service" account does not appear in the list of users configured on my
    Win2003 Server (ie under Computer Management -> Local Users and Groups
    -> Users). However, "Network Service" does appear in IIS's Application
    Pool Identity dialog.

    The reason for my post is that I have a web service. I need to deny
    access to the "Users" group to enforce that web service users belong
    to a group specific to my application. However I have found that if I
    do not add the "aspnet" user, the web service will not operate. I need
    to perform all configuration from an install script, and it must work
    on English and international versions of Windows XP and Windows 2003.
    Ideally the "aspnet" user would have a well-known SID, but it does not
    appear to have one, hence the need to look up the SID using the
    account name.
    , Mar 22, 2007
  4. Re: Is the aspnet account called "aspnet" for all non-English versionsof Windows and IIS?

    wrote:
    > On Mar 22, 11:17 am, "Juan T. Llibre" <>
    > wrote:
    >> Yes, for Windows XP in all languages.
    >>
    >> For Windows 2003 Server, the aspnet account is "network service".
    >>
    >> Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    >> asp.net faq :http://asp.net.do/faq/
    >> foros de asp.net, en español :http://asp.net.do/foros/
    >> ===================================
    >>

    >> <> wrote in messagenews:...
    >>> Is the aspnet account called "aspnet" for all non-English versions of
    >>> Windows and IIS?- Hide quoted text -

    > Thanks for the response, Juan.
    >
    > I am actually more confused than when I started, since the "Network
    > Service" account does not appear in the list of users configured on my
    > Win2003 Server (ie under Computer Management -> Local Users and Groups
    > -> Users). However, "Network Service" does appear in IIS's Application
    > Pool Identity dialog.

    The user name of the account is IIS_WPG.

    --
    Göran Andersson
    _____
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=F6ran_Andersson?=, Mar 22, 2007
  5. re:
    !> the "Network Service" account does not appear in the
    !> list of users configured on my Win2003 Server

    That's because it's a local account.

    re:
    > hence the need to look up the SID using the account name

    You can do it manually, so you must be able to do it programmatically.

    Manually, if you right-click the directory where your web service resides; select "Properties";
    select the "Security" tab; click the "Add" button; click the "Advanced" button; and, finally,
    click the "Find now" button, you'll see the "Network Service" account listed.

    Double-click it, and it will be added to the list of accounts which can access
    the directory. You must OK your way out of the dialogs, of course.

    You can also write in the name after you click the "Add" button
    and the Network Service account will be located and added.

    Have you tried adding the Network Service account, even if it's not listed ?

    Don't forget to give the Network Service account read/write permissions for the temp directory, too.
    Webservices require permission to that directory.

    See:

    You'll find more information at:

    Juan T. Llibre, Mar 22, 2007
  6. re:
    > The user name of the account is IIS_WPG.

    "Network Service" and "IIS_WPG" are different accounts.

    Juan T. Llibre, Mar 22, 2007

    On Mar 22, 10:33 pm, "Juan T. Llibre" <>
    wrote:
    > re:
    > !> the "Network Service" account does not appear in the
    > !> list of users configured on my Win2003 Server
    >
    > That's because it's a local account.
    >
    > re:
    >
    > > hence the need to look up the SID using the account name

    > You can do it manually, so you must be able to do it programmatically.
    >
    > Manually, if you right-click the directory where your web service resides; select "Properties";
    > select the "Security" tab; click the "Add" button; click the "Advanced" button; and, finally,
    > click the "Find now" button, you'll see the "Network Service" account listed.
    >
    > Double-click it, and it will be added to the list of accounts which can access
    > the directory. You must OK your way out of the dialogs, of course.
    >
    > You can also write in the name after you click the "Add" button
    > and the Network Service account will be located and added.
    >
    > Have you tried adding the Network Service account, even if it's not listed ?
    >
    > Don't forget to give the Network Service account read/write permissions for the temp directory, too.
    > Webservices require permission to that directory.
    >
    > See:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/823196
    >
    > You'll find more information at:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315736/EN-US/
    >
    > Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    > asp.net faq :http://asp.net.do/faq/
    > foros de asp.net, en español :http://asp.net.do/foros/
    > ===================================<> wrote in messagenews:...
    >
    > On Mar 22, 11:17 am, "Juan T. Llibre" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Yes, for Windows XP in all languages.

    > > For Windows 2003 Server, the aspnet account is "network service".

    > > Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    > > asp.net faq :http://asp.net.do/faq/
    > > foros de asp.net, en español :http://asp.net.do/foros/
    > > ===================================
    > > <> wrote in messagenews:...
    > > > Is the aspnet account called "aspnet" for all non-English versions of
    > > > Windows and IIS?- Hide quoted text -

    > Thanks for the response, Juan.
    >
    > I am actually more confused than when I started, since the "Network
    > Service" account does not appear in the list of users configured on my
    > Win2003 Server (ie under Computer Management -> Local Users and Groups
    > -> Users). However, "Network Service" does appear in IIS's Application
    > Pool Identity dialog.
    >
    > The reason for my post is that I have a web service. I need to deny
    > access to the "Users" group to enforce that web service users belong
    > to a group specific to my application. However I have found that if I
    > do not add the "aspnet" user, the web service will not operate. I need
    > to perform all configuration from an install script, and it must work
    > on English and international versions of Windows XP and Windows 2003.
    > Ideally the "aspnet" user would have a well-known SID, but it does not
    > appear to have one, hence the need to look up the SID using the
    > account name.

    Thanks Juan,

    I have modified my scripts to allow access to both "Network Service"
    and ASPNET users, and have tested this on both WinXP and Win2003. My
    web services work correctly. I suspect the "Network Service" user is
    not called "Network Service" in all languages. This does not matter
    since I used the well-known SID to reference this user rather than its
    name.
    , Mar 23, 2007
  8. re:
    !> I have modified my scripts to allow access to both "Network Service"
    !> and ASPNET users, and have tested this on both WinXP and Win2003.
    !> My web services work correctly.

    Good news!

    Glad to know you're up and running...

    Juan T. Llibre, Mar 23, 2007