Is the average IQ of C programmers less than that of C++ programmers?

MikeP

I have a feeling that their EQ will show to be significantly lower. Feel
free to post your IQs and EQs!

Chris H

In message <[email protected]
egroups.com> said:
That would make C a better language for commercial purposes,
wouldn't it? When I worked as a programmer, the management
attitude was that they didn't want clever code; they wanted
code that other staff could maintain and develop as easily
as its author, especially after he had gone. On that basis,
the lowest-IQ language would be the best of all!

I couldn't agree more!

Clever code is usually an oxymoron.

BTW That is why English is the most common language on the planet as a
second language. It is easier to teach basic English that can be
understood than any other language. (Even Americans manage basic
English :)

Seebs

I have a feeling that their EQ will show to be significantly lower. Feel
free to post your IQs and EQs!

Scientific progress is amazing. It used to be that a poll of Usenet
participants who wanted to post unverified claims would not have been
regarded as a reliable source of data.

-s

Chris H

osmium said:
My theory as to the reason for the popularity is that the island of Great
Britain had a lot of oak forests so the people living there could build big
ships and conquer the world with their navy.

That is not the reason.

In WW2 there was a requirement to teach pilots from many nations who
could not speak English. So some research was done. Apparently English
is the easiest language to get a basic grasp and be understood.

Walter Banks

Chris said:
I couldn't agree more!

Clever code is usually an oxymoron.

BTW That is why English is the most common language on the planet as a
second language. It is easier to teach basic English that can be
understood than any other language.

English idioms are very difficult for non native english speaking
people to master. English idiom dictionaries in Japan are as common
as English Japanese dictionaries

w..

Chris H

William Ahern said:
Citations? No anecdotes, please.

Apparently it was in WW2 the British needed to teach pilots from many
nationalities (ie from all over the empire as was and other occupied
countries in Europe) to fly and it was found that Basic English could be
taught faster than anything else.

Not idea where you would find the citation on the Internet. When I read
about it the information was in a book. Remember those?

jacob navia

Le 29/03/11 21:57, William Ahern a écrit :
Citations? No anecdotes, please.

Forming the past of a verb?

Just add "ed" and learn the few irregulars. No complicated rules.

No distinction between the familiar "you" and the honored person "you"
like Spanish or French.

Concise language. A text in English is 30-40% smaller than the same text
in French or other Latin languages.

The universal "The": you just say "The table" and do not have to worry
if the table is a female/male/no sex/ "thing" like in other languages
like Spanish.

Reading English is easy, and understanding the basics is easier to learn
than other languages.

Chris H

jacob navia said:
Le 29/03/11 21:57, William Ahern a écrit :

Forming the past of a verb?

Just add "ed" and learn the few irregulars. No complicated rules.

No distinction between the familiar "you" and the honored person "you"
like Spanish or French.

Concise language. A text in English is 30-40% smaller than the same text
in French or other Latin languages.

The universal "The": you just say "The table" and do not have to worry
if the table is a female/male/no sex/ "thing" like in other languages
like Spanish.

Reading English is easy, and understanding the basics is easier to
learn than other languages.

Also most of the time A native English speaker can easily understand
poor grammar and wrong word usage.

James Kuyper

Apparently it was in WW2 the British needed to teach pilots from many
nationalities (ie from all over the empire as was and other occupied
countries in Europe) to fly and it was found that Basic English could be
taught faster than anything else.

Not idea where you would find the citation on the Internet. When I read
about it the information was in a book. Remember those?

Yes, and I also remember when providing a citation didn't mean giving a
URL, it meant identifying the book, and preferably the specific location
within the book, where something was discussed. Can you provide such an
old-fashioned citation?

I would expect English researchers to have a bias toward English, and
would be suspicious of the possibility that the research was conducted
without adequate protection against such bias (particularly given the
wartime context of the research). Only a careful examination of the
research report could provide sufficient evidence to counter that
suspicion. I personally do not have sufficient interest to bother
finding and reading such a report, but the William Ahern might.

Chris H

James Kuyper said:
Yes, and I also remember when providing a citation didn't mean giving a
URL, it meant identifying the book, and preferably the specific
location within the book, where something was discussed. Can you
provide such an old-fashioned citation?

Probably but I don't have the time or inclination

BartC

jacob navia said:
Le 29/03/11 21:57, William Ahern a écrit :

Forming the past of a verb?

Just add "ed" and learn the few irregulars. No complicated rules.

No distinction between the familiar "you" and the honored person "you"
like Spanish or French.

Unless you're conversing with royalty.
Concise language. A text in English is 30-40% smaller than the same text
in French or other Latin languages.

The universal "The": you just say "The table" and do not have to worry
if the table is a female/male/no sex/ "thing" like in other languages
like Spanish.

Reading English is easy, and understanding the basics is easier to learn
than other languages.

Except that spelling is bit of a black art.

Then there are words that are spelt the same but pronounced differently,
depending on meaning; and words that sound the same but spelt differently.
Plus words that are spelt the same, sound the same, but can have a dozen
different meanings!

And how do you pronounce a "-ough" ending? Apparently there are supposed to
be 9 different ways. "Laughter" has only one pronunciation, but put an "S"
at the start, and it's completely different. Etc. etc.

I think one of the simplest, and most orthogonal languages is supposed to be
Ido. The trouble is there are only a couple of thousand speakers in the
world.

osmium

Kenneth Brody said:
Which sounds to me like native English speakers are smarter than native
speakers of other languages, if it's true that they are not capable of
such understanding.

A language can have attributes such as redundancy which promote such
understanding despite mangling. I only, know, kind of, English, so I don't
know if that applies here or not. Or even if the premise is true.

Nevertheless, do you think it would be easier to fix a mangled APL program
or a mangled Cobol program? To me, those are kind of at the extremes of
understanding. There may be other languages more difficult to learn than
APL, but my guess is that this is due to poor documentation for the
contender language.

Ian Collins

I think one of the simplest, and most orthogonal languages is supposed
to be Ido. The trouble is there are only a couple of thousand speakers
in the world.

The easiest and most orthogonal language I ever learned was Swahili. I
found it an ideal language for a programmer to learn!

Geoff

When I was taking my First Class Radio Telephone license exams you had
to have memorized the ITU phonetic alphabet and demonstrate
proficiency. The letters were all English, "Alpha, Bravo, Charlie,...
but the numerals were all Spanish-French-German with English as cited,
you guessed it, in Wikipedia today:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICAO_spelling_alphabet#Digits

A USMC gunney sarge will make you recite the alphabet and numerals
forwards, backwards and middlewards alternating until you can do it in
less than 30 seconds on demand.

Geoff

Neither "Okto" nor "Eight" is German.
"Acht" is.

Tell that to the ITU. Okto is not in any language but they wrote it
that way. The derivation is from the German acht.

Why do you insist on belaboring this point? It's a system of
clarifying voice communication over noisy channels, nothing more.

Willem

Geoff wrote:
) Tell that to the ITU. Okto is not in any language but they wrote it
) that way. The derivation is from the German acht.

Bullshit; 'octo' (pronounced as 'okto') is Latin for eight.

SaSW, Willem
drugged or something..
#EOT

Joachim Schmitz

Geoff said:
Tell that to the ITU.

Do they claim this to be German?
Okto is not in any language but they wrote it
that way. The derivation is from the German acht.

More probably from the Latin octo. German acht maybe derived from that, but
surely not the other way round.
Why do you insist on belaboring this point?

Pure curiosity.

Bye, Jojo