    that the html file can be from most servers by using, for example,

    Many thanks in advance,
    Peter.
    PeterOut, May 1, 2010

  2. PeterOut wrote:

    > I hope this is not a stupid question but I was wondering if the CSS
    > file used for a web page can be accessed from the web. I understand
    > that the html file can be from most servers by using, for example,

    If browsers can access the CSS file, how do you expect to prevent people
    from looking at it, and why do you care?

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, May 1, 2010

  3. PeterOut

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 01 May 2010, PeterOut <> wrote:

    > I hope this is not a stupid question but I was wondering if the CSS
    > file used for a web page can be accessed from the web. I understand
    > that the html file can be from most servers by using, for example,
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,
    > Peter.

    Did you try entering the url of one in the address bar of your browser,
    hitting enter, and seeing what happens?

    --
    Neredbojias

    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    http://www.neredbojias.net/
    Neredbojias, May 1, 2010
  4. PeterOut

    richard Guest

    On Sat, 1 May 2010 10:30:54 -0700 (PDT), PeterOut wrote:

    > I hope this is not a stupid question but I was wondering if the CSS
    > file used for a web page can be accessed from the web. I understand
    > that the html file can be from most servers by using, for example,
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,
    > Peter.

    Naturally. It's just a standard text file so any browser can read it.
    All I need to do is look at your code and see where you put it.
    Most probably put it in the folder as the html file.
    So you might have, example.com/folder/index.html then for the css would be
    example.com/folder/filename.css
    richard, May 1, 2010
  5. On Sat, 01 May 2010 10:30:54 -0700, PeterOut wrote:

    > I hope this is not a stupid question but I was wondering if the CSS file
    > used for a web page can be accessed from the web. I understand that the
    > html file can be from most servers by using, for example, View:page
    > Source on Firefox. But what about the CSS file?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,
    > Peter.

    The associated CSS files can be seen several different ways.
    You can try viewing the document source and looking for where the style
    sheet is referenced.

    You can try saving the document locally (save complete document). This
    /usually/ saves the CSS file as well. [1]

    There is a Firefox extension that will show CSS and JS files on your
    status bar, allowing you to click and easily view them.

    wget, using the '-p' parameter, will include style sheets.

    [1] Firefox, in particular, has a problem if a style sheet was loaded via
    the @import fule. There is even an extension to 'save page complete' to
    fix the borked one built in.
    Jeremy J Starcher, May 1, 2010
  6. PeterOut

    PeterOut Guest

    On May 1, 1:57 pm, "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:
    > PeterOut wrote:
    > > I hope this is not a stupid question but I was wondering if the CSS
    > > file used for a web page can be accessed from the web.  I understand
    > > that the html file can be from most servers by using, for example,

    > If browsers can access the CSS file, how do you expect to prevent people
    > from looking at it, and why do you care?
    >
    > --
    > Yucca,http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Thank you to everyone for the replies. I meant if I had a CSS file on
    the hard drive of my computer that I am using as a server, could
    someone read it through the browser? From the replies, it would
    appear that the answer is yes. I'm new to web applications.

    Thanks,
    Peter.
    PeterOut, May 1, 2010
  7. PeterOut

    DLU Guest

    PeterOut wrote:
    > I hope this is not a stupid question but I was wondering if the CSS
    > file used for a web page can be accessed from the web. I understand
    > that the html file can be from most servers by using, for example,
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,
    > Peter.

    Use firebug with Firefox.

    --